News:

Main Menu

out of loop for a few days

Started by kiawrench, March 03, 2007, 09:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

will be in hospital from weds of this coming week until Saturday morning or so, am having some neck surgery done to remove two discs. Wont be getting standard remove isc,slap in some donor tissue and steel rods. am getting new replacement discs (two plates with bearings for full motion) am also getting a spacer to replace vert number 5 (never healed right, is starting to break down)most of the cost will be absorbed by manufacturer for taking part in two year application of use study, prior to full fda approval, thank you vetrans admin for helping me find that one!

info on this here: http://www.necksurgery.com/articles-artificialdisc.html   the first part of study is done, this new part includes a spacer to replace damaged bone tissue without bone grafting .

once released from hospital , i just have to deal with 45 day recovery period, then can go back to work and ride the Vision again. well, that and two years of follow up appointments to keep tabs on implants .
  going to be nice to have all the feeling back in my arms and hands !!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Good luck & Godspeed, Kia.  Hope you recover quickly!

Bet you're looking forward to eliminating the headshake!   ;D

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

Be sure to request tapered bearings ;)

Hope all goes well :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

:) Hmmmmm, sound like a surgeons "winter project"   :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;) Best of luck bro', keep yer chin up... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

trust me guys,,, i have been through the wringer on this ---- get it fixed, dont get it fixed, this is going to fix things, maybe it wont  been a ride and a half. but time has come to do something before i end up riding a desk and waiting on someone else to drive me where i need to go.
thank you us army, 18th airborne corps and walte rreed army medical center for leaving me with a long running medical issue .   to be honest, even knowing my military service did this in a round about way,,, would do it again , just to have the fun all over .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Coil Coyle

Well Kia. God Bless and God Speed..

;)
Coil

YellowJacket!

Good Luck to you Kia.  Maybe this'll get all your problems sorted out once and for all.  I'll say a big prayer for you and a speedy recovery.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

one thing is for sure,, if this doesnt get it fixed, am going to move to your town,, half way between you and lucky. we will then start using ace hardware as parts supply. with tips from kevin and a few others, we are going to build me a darn protective armored suit , so i quit hurting myself!!

Mutt

I hope you have a quick recovery period with little or no discomfort!

And, a big THANKS for your service in the military!!!!

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Cdnlouie

Checked out that link, what an amazing process.  Pretty exciting stuff while at the same time daunting when you consider what is actually being done here. This is very promising research for us old guys that hope to keep going for a few more miles. You have my admiration Kia for going where few have ever gone before.

We will be praying for your operation and speedy recovery.

You are remembered by the Canadians!

P.S. I am envying your location in one of favourite spring vacation spots.  At least you have the weather going for you.

Lucky

A little chicken soup will speed the recovery!
heal well my friend.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

hfarley

Hey Kia, Make sure they lube up those parts. After all you don't want to have to go in for a 30,000 ile oil change now do ya?  :P

Seriously though, Good luck, fast recovery,and I understand what you mean about doing the service all over again. Thanks to the wonderful ARMY training that I received I will forever have probems wih my back.  But I still would do it again too!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

kiawrench

louie-- glad you mentioned vacation spot--- did you know that can-am week is next week here?  city officials expect anywhere from 12 to 20 thousand canadians in town for soccer tourney, dances, several sweet car shows and as always , the canadian bikers will be in ,showing off some really sweet rides.

on my street alone, there are 7 of 22 houses owned by split season canadians, here from 2nd week of march until end of august. and, if i may be the one to say, some of the best people i have met in this town.     now if they would just understand that owning a monkey ,and keeping him indoors isnt strange,,,, (my marmoset seems to be all they want to see when they first get into town every year ). good thing is, i get to spend some time with them this year, as i will be out of work for a while after surgery.

Scott_Mc

Wow Kia, that's some serious work, but sounds as if the benefits could be great!  Your timing is not so bad either as you'll be in shape for the arrival of warmer riding weather.

Good luck!!!  Type at us when you can :P!
Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

Cdnlouie

Oooohhhh... I soooo....... wanna be there!  :( I can't tell you how many times this week I am tempted to just run away from life here in the frigid north  :'(.  I gotta get a trailor setup going on so I can bring the "V" with me for a vacation in the sunny south.  This would be the perfect time to escape for about two weeks.  I can hit the beach and start working on my attitude toward life.

Sounds terrific! I just need to pay a few more dues before I start going AWOL from the daily grind.

Thanks for the sunny thoughts  8), we will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Louie

BREWSKI

Good luck Kia,adding you to prayer list along with DAVETN  Bwewski....
GEORGE BATES

Night Vision

Kia, you Be Well too!
gosh I hate these mushy posts....
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kiawrench

agggghhhh__ i go down to check in in about an hour,, but have one really sad thing to deal with first- for the first time since i left the army, i have to have my beard off- not just trim it,, cut it all off.

My wife, being a happy ,make it all a happy thing ,measured my chin whiskers ,13 inches of growth, well cared for and lovingly looked after - will be gone in next twenty mimutes!!(i do sort of have the wild biker look going on,lmao)
  gee whiz, no more braided beard for bike week, no tourists snapping my picture just show folks back home the "freak" they saw at bike week ,,,,,, oh well,,, was time for a change anyway . and it will grow back!
   at least i can still put hair in a danny de vito style ponytail and fight that under a helmet!!

louthepou

Dang, I missed this thread by just a few hours!  >:(

Hope they let you keep the removed parts in a small jar. sounds like a worthy souvenir.

Could add the trimmed hair in there too.

Good luck to you... and good recovery.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic