Looks like I'm out...

Started by unitivegreybird, November 17, 2012, 08:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unitivegreybird

Well, it seems my time with my Vision has come to an end. After 8000 miles of fun, I totaled her last night. I caught an oil patch on the freeway in the dark and highsided. Managed to walk away with minor injuries (ATGATT!), but she's done for. And I just rebuilt my starter as well  >:(

Unfortunately, I think I'll be looking into a bit..ahem "younger" bike. While I loved wrenching on her, I also would like a daily rider that isn't simultaneously a project bike. Thanks to everyone on this forum who continues to keep this old bikes alive, and continues to provide  insight and guidence to us youngen's.

Who knows, maybe I'll be back in a few years.
1983 Yamaha Vision - Aesir
Everett, WA

Re-Vision

Hate to see you go, having lost a son to a motorcycle accident it's nice to see you not seriously hurt which encourages all to wear their equipment.    BDC

unitivegreybird

Sorry about your loss, I couldn't ever imagine losing a child. All doctors/officers/paramedics on site were amazed at my lack of injuries, as was I.

On another note, do you know how embarrassing it is to just stand there, with 3 police cars, a firetruck, and a few bystanders checking out the scene, while you're actually in ok physical condition? I think the first-responders might have been a bit disappointed  :police:
Everett, WA

fret not

I'm very glad you are OK, as it could be sooooo different!  Usually a highside hurts pretty bad.  More to think about as time passes, and you will think about it.

One never knows what may be on the roadway, be it sand, leaves, ice, water, antifreeze, oil, smushed animal, or any of numerous other possibilities.  This is another good lesson to help us all to keep our eyes open and minds alert.

So, is your Vision dead or just injured?  A possibility as a project and educational exercise for the 'future'?  It would make you a better and more knowledgeable rider/owner, no matter what you choose to ride.  Just sayin'.

Cheer up, and thank your 'lucky stars'.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

Sorry to hear about the accident. Sounds like you fared considerably better than the bike which is a good thing. I'm also glad to hear it hasn't soured your desire to ride again. Definitely let us know what you end up replacing the Vision with and maybe share a pic too.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

pullshocks

Holy cow.  Glad to hear you are OK, disappointed that we won't be able to do a ROV Washington ride.  Your story reinforces my ATGAT policy.  Were the roads wet?

unitivegreybird

It was a heavy downpour; even though I've ridden in the rain plenty of times before, it was coming down hard enough to make me feel a bit uncomfortable. I had just hopped onto the freeway and made it maybe a mile down the road when I felt the bike lose all traction. I managed to slow down a bit, the bike went into a tank slapper at the same time. Held on as long as I could, but than the wheels grabbed again. Unfortunately at that moment the bike was at angled at approximately 10 o'clock, so the momentum flung the bike to the side and me forward.

The whole thing was super surreal; everything slowed down and I can still recall almost every second. I landed on my chest and face. It's a bit unnerving to see the blacktop that close to your face. I rolled 2 or 3 times, than managed to roll myself onto my back.

I definitely know that my lack of injuries was due to my gear. the knuckle protectors on my gloves are ground away, but i only have bruising and about a 2in spot of road rash on my hand.

If anyone is looking for some back armor or a back pack, I highly recommend the Boblbee Meg Aero. CE2 back armor and a backpack. Mine is beat-up now but at least my back isn't. Plus it looks like a jetpack. The officer on the scene thought it was an airbag and thought that's why I wasn't injured.

As far as the bike goes, she's toast. Swing arm frame is bent, front forks are bent. Still might some serviceable parts that I might put up for sale, but we'll see. I'm going to pick her up today. I'll post more pictures of the damage later.
Everett, WA

fret not

Losing control in a straight line makes me think a tire went flat.  Rather narrow tires for it to hydroplane.  I feel sorry for your troubles, and glad it wasn't worse. 

I hope you repair the bike, but if you don't can I get the starter?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

unitivegreybird

Quote from: fret nut on November 19, 2012, 12:39:31 AM
Losing control in a straight line makes me think a tire went flat.  Rather narrow tires for it to hydroplane.  I feel sorry for your troubles, and glad it wasn't worse. 

I hope you repair the bike, but if you don't can I get the starter?

The tires held up just fine, it was the oil spill on the freeway that did me in  >:(

Anyways, I'll posting a new thread in For Sale, consider yourself first dibs for the starter
Everett, WA

YellowJacket!

Quote from: unitivegreybird on November 18, 2012, 12:18:06 AM
...I think the first-responders might have been a bit disappointed  :police:

Having worked trauma surgery at a level I trauma center for a while I must say that we are never disappointed to see someone roll in that has only minor injuries (or none at all) and just needs to be checked over real good.  Bikes and gear can always be replaced, you can't.  Glad you beat the odds and are ok.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Hartless

Im glad you are alright! Sucks the v isnt but hey, thats not that big
Of a deal!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

zore

I popped a front tire and bent a wheel on a pot hole and didn't realize it until i went to turn some miles later and had a tough time controlling it.  I've hit 2 deer in as many years and I think much of it has to do with luck.  On one hand, I walk a way but the bikes forks are in the radiator, and the other, I need to be carted off due to hitting my head really hard and breaking a collar bone, but the bike is largely fine.  Luck and chance have something to do with it, that and gear, how much you ride etc etc.  My days of 20-30k miles a year are over, now i do 20 to 30 miles a year.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900