News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

She's Back!

Started by zore, November 21, 2012, 11:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

So after 3 years of the bike sitting in pieces and struggling to get the flywheel off, I finally got it together today.  I got the flywheel off 3 months ago and installed the new starter clutch.  It then took me 3 months to get the clutch bolts in, peened down, and ground down.  I got that done yesterday after spending 2 days cleaning my garage.

So today, I used my 18 dollar tube of Honda HT and put the cover back on.  For the fun of it, I tried to start it figuring nothing much would happen given how long it's been sitting.  I threw some gas in it and put, the petcock on prime and threw the choke on.  3 or 4 cranks and she was running.  The most unbelievable thing I've ever seen.

I had some oil coming out of what looked like one of the exhaust ports.  I didn't see oil coming from the valve cover and she did smoke for a bit so I'm thinking maybe a stuck oil seal?

With it running I pumped some air in the tires and threw on a helmet.  I went around the block and was still impressed with how well it ran considering how long it sat.  The smoke cleared and the oil dripping subsided, but I think it's something else I'll need to fix at some point.  Either way, I'm glad I've been paying insurance and registration on it as well as leaving the trickle charger on it.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghgoXt4fhw&feature=youtu.be]
So after 3 years of the bike sitting in pieces and struggling to get the flywheel off, I finally got it together today.  I got the flywheel off 3 months ago and installed the new starter clutch.  It then took me 3 months to get the clutch bolts in, peened down, and ground down.  I got that done yesterday after spending 2 days cleaning my garage.

So today, I used my 18 dollar tube of Honda HT and put the cover back on.  For the fun of it, I tried to start it figuring nothing much would happen given how long it's been sitting.  I threw some gas in it and put, the petcock on prime and threw the choke on.  3 or 4 cranks and she was running.  The most unbelievable thing I've ever seen.

I had some oil coming out of what looked like one of the exhaust ports.  I didn't see oil coming from the valve cover and she did smoke for a bit so I'm thinking maybe a stuck oil seal?

With it running I pumped some air in the tires and threw on a helmet.  I went around the block and was still impressed with how well it ran considering how long it sat.  The smoke cleared and the oil dripping subsided, but I think it's something else I'll need to fix at some point.  Either way, I'm glad I've been paying insurance and registration on it as well as leaving the trickle charger on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ghgoXt4fhw&feature=youtu.be
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Jimustanguitar

Welcome back! Looks nicer there than it is here. Enjoy going riding!

Aelwulf

Nice, good job. :) These do seem to respond pretty well to a bit of TLC even after sitting for a bit.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Lucky

What's on the dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

The voltmeter and the switch to my heated grips.  I used to have a little fairing on it so the switch was hidden.  I guess I'll need to re-hide it.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Rikugun

I was gonna ask about that fairing in the '08 video - what was it from? Looks like it sits atop the headlight rather than surrounding it. I like the look of the round light too.

Sounds really good BTW for something that sat so long.  :) Did you drain the carbs prior to it's long rest?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

zore

Quote from: Rikugun on November 22, 2012, 07:53:47 AM
I was gonna ask about that fairing in the '08 video - what was it from? Looks like it sits atop the headlight rather than surrounding it. I like the look of the round light too.

Sounds really good BTW for something that sat so long.  :) Did you drain the carbs prior to it's long rest?

The fairing was from my 95 duc.  As it last ran is how i parked it.  I didn't think it take me 3 years to finish a repair that generally is done in an afternoon. 
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

Hey, you were busy, shrug...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Aelwulf

Quote from: zore on November 22, 2012, 11:32:47 AM
The fairing was from my 95 duc.  As it last ran is how i parked it.  I didn't think it take me 3 years to finish a repair that generally is done in an afternoon.

I know that feeling.  That's probably all it'll take to finish the front end on mine, maybe a day or two more (knock on wood) for the tank.  But it's been sitting for a couple of years because of 'em and lack of time.  :o

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)