News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My New Vision (to me anyway)

Started by alienation, January 01, 2013, 06:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alienation

Well, I am new to the forum, and to the vision, and look forward to the experience in owning it. I will be fixing it up during the winter months, then come spring time, she will be on the road and have lots of trips under her belt come next winter. I am glad I found the forum, and just going through the gallery I have a few things I would like to modify. Here is a pic of her as she sits right now (in storage, where she was left abandoned by the PO.

motoracer8

Nice looking M/C to just walk away from.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

pullshocks

Welcome Alienation.  Nice to have another Vision rider here in the BC/Washington corridor.  Looks like you have something decent to work with. 

alienation

Thank you. I looked the bike over and everything seems to be good. No major corrosion to work with and everything seems to be tight, etc. I just don't have keys for it. I am not sure if I should call a locksmith to make a set of keys, or if I should just change the ignition and gas cap. I have no started it because of that reason, and also because I would like to change all the fluids as it has been sitting for a couple years. Mind you it was in an underground parking lot, but still. I am also curious what the inside of the tank looks like.

alienation

Pullshocks; Thank you, where are you located? And any places you suggest for parts?

Re-Vision

Take the ignition to a locksmith so you'll have one key that fit all locks.     BDC

Rikugun

Welcome to the forum!  :D That is a very complete looking '82 you got there and appears to be in pretty good shape. Is this your first bike?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Do not put gas in it or attempt to start it unless an inline fuel filter is installed.  How many miles on it?  Welcome to the Forum.

alienation

Until all the fluids are changed and I check over the engine/carbs not a drop of gasoline will go into it. Also before I try starting it, I will be putting some oil in the cylinder and hand crank it. I also heard diesel works as well in the cylinder?

Not my first bike no, but it has been about 5 years since I sold my cb750, and my 2 750 virago engines are also sitting by the wayside as well, my priority is on the vision right now. At first the styling seemed odd for me as I'm used to more of the cruiser scene, but with time it's really grown on me, and the engine/drivetrain makes for a very capable long distance touring setup.

I had a trip planned to drive cross southern canada/northern states, and had a bike lined up, but a growing family put a damper on that, and well, the vision just sorta fell into my lap, and it has that trip written all over it for the future.

alienation

Quote from: QBS on January 01, 2013, 10:02:33 PM
How many miles on it?

Missed that question previously haha
I don't know if it's in miles or kms, but it has 11,000 on the clock.

Rick G

Its best to run the the engine with the oil that's in it( assuming  there is sufficient oil)  run it until warm and then change the oil and filter. Engines that have  sat a long time will have all the heavy debris on the bottom of the crank case and you need to stir it up to get it out of there.
I bought a Corvair Greenbriar van  that had sat for a while and when I  check the oil it was as new , when i checked it after running the engine for a while it was filthy . Then i change the oil and filter.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

In addition to Rick's comments....    If the crankcase is overfilled it may indicate a fairly common storage failure has allowed gas from the tank into the engine. The thinned oil would not be suitable for running the engine. If that's the case I'd drain and refill with fresh, run it then drain it again and replace both the filter and oil. You're only talking a few quarts of oil so the cost is cheap insurance. Just my 2 cents.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Showing 11k kilometers or miles indicates that in all likelyhood both the starter motor oil seal and the starter clutch reattachment upgrades will need to be done before the bike can truly be considered roadworthy.

alienation

Got it, check the oil, change twice as insurance, and change the starter motor oil seal, as well as the starter clutch reattachment. I will search the forum for those 2. I have about 3 months to do this all in and I'm sure that is MORE than enough time considering I'm off work for at least 2. Riding this spring, here I come! (will be the first time in about 4 years that I am not just off-road riding!)

pullshocks

I live in Seattle.  Maybe this summer we can do a run over to Hope and Fernie.

No local parts sources to recommend.  If you have not spotted the "parts and upgrades section ( http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?board=7.0 ) it has some good sourcing info.
Tiger has been a great source, see swap shop.  Other forum members have come through with parts as well.
I have ordered several times from YSPPart.com down in Portland.  Others have their own preferences.
www.speedandsportinc.com seems to have some of the more unobtainium parts listed.

alienation

Sounds good pullshocks, I will be keeping everyone updated as to the progress and if I have any questions.