News:

Main Menu

Leftside Cover

Started by MotorPlow, January 15, 2006, 09:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Hello,
I just replaced my Starter Clutch (& Rotor), Checked the Balancer Nut and Replaced the Shift Shaft Seal under the left side cover. Amazingly, the Stator looks just as good as it did 6,000 miles ago. The Rotor and Starter Clutch I put in appeared to already have the bolt fix done. The bolts weren't much longer than normal, but they did appear to be peened over. I did remove one of the bolts and it was very very hard to get out. I peened over the bolts a little more than they were, but can't remember (I guess I am getting older) if I torqued the bolt I took out back to what it is supposed to be... (I guess I will see when I redo the clutch fix in the future).

Any way, anyone know how long Threebond 1104 needs to set before putting oil in the crankcase? It doesn't say on the tube anywhere.

Thanx,
~MP

Lucky

I haven't used the threebond, but if i remember right, i think it was Kia who said it was the same stuff as the yama/hondabond, which i use.  if so, i added oil right away, after finishing the bike back together, but not putting my tools away, & have no leaks, but i'm impatient.
Of course 24 hours would be better, but it might not matter.

lots of help huh? lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tdub

if you use the Cometic gasket, no sealer is needed. And it is reusable! Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

Lucky

(Y'all know Tdub is making half this stuff up just so the rest of us poor saps can go "Geeze, where can I get some of that Goopity Goop air filter cleaner like Tryce uses")? ?:o

;D ;D

That's it Tdub! i'm making you write a column on all the stuff we can't have/get/find/afford, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

TDub,
I didn't see a left side cover listed on Cometic's website. I assume that you have them custom made with Cometic. Does this mean that Cometic already has the "set up" for the Left Side Cover from your previous orders? Just curious for the future...

~MotorPlow

Tdub

Jeesh, already!! ::)
OK here are the part numbers!!!
Clutch cover gasket...EC1063018AF
Generator cover gasket...EC1062018AF
Tensioner gasket...EC1061018AF
tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

MotorPlow

Tdub,
Thanx.
Are you married? Have you ever thought about painting your bike in a rainbow colored scheme?

(Sorry, just a small inside joke).

Chris
aka MotorPlow

PS: I contacted Cometic and their left side cover gaskets are only $10.95 (I assume plus shipping) - www.cometic.com

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on January 19, 2006, 08:26:44 AM
Tdub,
Thanx.
Are you married? Have you ever thought about painting your bike in a rainbow colored scheme?

(Sorry, just a small inside joke).

Chris
aka MotorPlow

PS: I contacted Cometic and their left side cover gaskets are only $10.95 (I assume plus shipping) - www.cometic.com

Say NO to rainbow!? :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

I've been using Threebond 1104 for the last three years.  It is just like the Yamabond 4 or Hondabond.  Color is just a little bit different but seems to be the same stuff.  I gave it 16 hours to seal & it seems to be holding fine.  I've had that left cover off 4 times in the last 2 years so it never gets tons of time between to see how long the seal lasts.

Thanks, Tdub, for the Cometic part #s.  I'll be ordering some of the gaskets just to have around.  Will be nice to reuse them!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.