News:

Main Menu

Officially closed my shop

Started by kiawrench, October 15, 2007, 11:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

my transfer company is now sole property of my partner. after long thought and a few mishaps, i decided i just cant keep up with the pace required by that type of work.

Am not sure what I am going to do yet, but am leaning towards a small bicycle shop with special interest towards beach type bikes-- maybe set up a few dozen rental bikes and stuff too .

it's either that ,or go back to working on cars- which my dr said isnt a good idea .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Ever considered beekeeping?   ;)   ;D

I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.  Good luck, kia!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

Good onya, KIA.  I started my professional life when I was 16, working in a bicycle shop, owned and operated by a retired US Navy Captain.  Repair is the mainstay of that lifestyle, the markup on parts far exceeds the markup on bicycles, and if you're good, the clients will remember and return for more business.

I might add, you're in a very good location for it.  How's the competition, though?
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Rick G

I started my working carreer in a bicycle shop  and at one point I worked for an old sailor . he even had a parrott !  I asked him he was in before the war , he answered that he was in befor lots of wars. Served in Panama  and the Phillapines   and was on the gunboat Panay when she wa sunk on the Yang see river in the mid 1930's   really interesting old guy. One day I showed up for work  and the parrott and he were gone , on to his final retirement.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: kiawrench on October 15, 2007, 11:49:24 PM
...or go back to working on cars- which my dr said isnt a good idea .

??? No, not full time anyway...Bicycle sales/rental/repair could be a good idea.

"The Vision Bike Shop" has a nice ring to it... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

Good luck in whatever direction you take 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

You could go to school to be a Respiratory Therapist.  One of my co-workers is a retired nuclear engineer, another is a retired chemical engineer.  Both, after retiring (I'm not implying that you are old either.... ;D  ) from their lifelong professions decided to go to Respiratory Therapy school (2 years) and become RT's.  Its a rewarding career and if you like snot, fun too.  ;D
Its my other way of working on carburetors... the human type.  ;D  ;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Aelwulf

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 16, 2007, 12:33:48 AM
Ever considered beekeeping?   ;)   ;D

H2O

Yes I have actually. ;) Just as a hobby though if I ever finally plop in one spot.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

A while back, kia had a nasty run of health matters.  One of them was a sting (don't recall if it was a bee, wasp or hornet).  Just made things much worse.  Thought I may need to explain it - if kia didn't comment sooner.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Ah-so... :)

Meh, he could still do it.  He'll just need to find a Kevlar bee suit and seal it with liquid electrical tape/rubber cement/etc every time. :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kiawrench

ohhhhhhhh, i'll keep bees,,, as far away as possible, no thanks , good idea, but allergic ,even to honey .

the bike shop is the way i am headed,, plenty of bikes being bought ,but only one repair shop in town, and he is so busy year round that you may wait 5 to 7 weeks to get your bike fixed. except for small kids, they always come first .
   And those monster heavy boat anchor bikes that wal mart sells are only good for maybe one summer, but the european students we get every year depend on them for daily travel to and from work,we need another bike shop or five here .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

So, Even though you have a Vision, you'll still be truing spokes..That sucks!  ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

I don't think wheel truing is that bad.  It's kind of zen-like in its procedure.  I got quite a bit of satisfaction truing my bicycle wheels.  Takes patience & some thought to get it right.

H2O

ironb12s

Ahem.  I built my first wheel from scratch when I was 11.   ;)    There's art and science to truing, and I used those skills when I relaced the front wheel of my Intruder...tho' it was more of a build, had to replace hub, rim and spokes.  Left final truing to Big John at my local Moto shop, they had the jig for it.  Moreover, truing is like riding, once done you never forget how.  Got my own Park Truing stand now...   8)

On a lighter note, KIA I think you have a wonderful idea with a bike shop.  If there's just one other, and he's busy beyond his capacity, there's room for you to prosper.  I would deal in the boardwalk bikes and such for new sales, but open your service department to anything.  The shop I worked in made it's bread and butter off of service of discount chain bicycles during the summers, markup on parts far exceeded that of new bike sales.  My boss was a retired Navy flier, still keep in touch with him when I can.

Heck, if you can change tubes and tires, that might be enough to break even...

GOOD ONYA, GO FOR IT!    ;D

Rick G

Truing wheels is becoming a lost art as far as motorcycles  are concerned. I leard the art od lacing and truing spoke wheels during my time in the bicycle trade . When I started in the motorcycle trade the  service manager  gave me a wheel to put a new rim on and was surprised when I had it relaced and trued in no time.
I really enjoy this work but somany wheels are cast now the a wheel to true is rare.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

Just hang around bike shops and bike tours...  It's how I stay active, riding as the sweeper for the American Lung Assoc in MD.  Have had to true some badly munged wheels to get riders back to the start a few times.  Probably find a local bike shop and look for part time employment once I find a regular job...

YellowJacket!

Quote from: ironb12s on October 19, 2007, 01:07:59 PM
.... It's how I stay active, riding as the sweeper for the American Lung Assoc in MD.....

Cool...  The Respiratory Therapist in me thanks you for your support..  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ironb12s

Quote from: DaveTN on October 19, 2007, 04:57:32 PM
Quote from: ironb12s on October 19, 2007, 01:07:59 PM
.... It's how I stay active, riding as the sweeper for the American Lung Assoc in MD.....

Cool...  The Respiratory Therapist in me thanks you for your support..  ;D

David

No, thank YOU!    :D