News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Another bone yard swap?

Started by Tim B., October 24, 2003, 12:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim B.

Another bone yard swap (it is almost Halloween- Frankenstein and all) I thought would make an interesting experiment would be to transplant an entire electrical system from a Honda Shadow. The whole works; stator, R/R, CDI, coils and relays. If possible, it might yield some interesting results.

When my first vision fried the stator I replaced it with a used Shadow unit made by ND.
It appeared to be of superior quality to the one that I pulled from the Vision. I only put a couple thousand miles on the bike and also swapped the R/R form another Vision, so I couldn?t say if it was really better or not.

I wish I hadn?t traded away my 3rd $100 Vision. It would be fun to try some of this stuff since these parts can be had for next to nothing.
Veni Vidi Vici...Vision.

Walt_M.

The ignition swap will not work, different 'V' angle and the timing would be off on the 2nd cylinder, even if you could get it to run. And why do you think honda stuff might be better anyway?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

not to mention the fact that it's doubtful the connectors would reach properly or even mate up
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jason

QuoteThe ignition swap will not work, different 'V' angle and the timing would be off on the 2nd cylinder, even if you could get it to run. And why do you think honda stuff might be better anyway?

Is that true?

The XZ has two crank position sensors on the flywheel, one for each cylinder I believe, taking care of the angle between the cylinders. If the Honda CDI is compatible with these pickups and also uses a pickup per cylinder, I don't see why it cant work.

Rick G

Because the TCI  has an advance curve  that's taylored  to the Vision engine . Unless you can get a hold  of the engineering data , for each box and compare the two your wasitng your time.  Just stuffing it in and hooking it up isn't likley to work, you need to do some research on the subject first. :)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RussD

QuoteAnd why do you think honda stuff might be better anyway?

Maybe I'm crazy Walt, but it sure seems like I see a lot of old Hondas on the road  ;)
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

Walt_M.

You see a lot of old hondas in the scrapyard too. They just sell a lot of bikes. How many CX500s do you see running?
Whale oil beef hooked!

RussD

QuoteYou see a lot of old hondas in the scrapyard too. They just sell a lot of bikes. How many CX500s do you see running?

Touche' Walt......They're the McDonalds of motorcycling!   ;D

What's the CX500.......their equivalent to our bike?
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

Rick G

The CX500 is a transverse Vtwin (think Moto Guzzi)   with shaft drive and liquid cooling,  its a overhead valve engine. It is an older design than the Vision  and dosen't handle nearly as well. The first 2 years  or so of production were riddled with problems, lots of warrenties!
I see one every now and again, but there getting thin.  Some feel that the V was intended ,by Yamaha , to be compitition for the CX500 ,but a lot more sporty.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tim B.

I know this was a crazy if not naive idea (spawned by the prospect of cheap scrap parts).
But look how much fun we are having!!
 ;D
Veni Vidi Vici...Vision.