News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Non-V Headlight Replacement

Started by markmakeitso, March 19, 2007, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmakeitso

Good day eh,
A friend of mine just picked up a beater CX500 and I've spent some time doing light repair and maintenance. The headlight housing is trashed, and we'd like to replace it with something different than the usual round light, not super thrilled about the rectangular ones either. I think a light off a newer Duck SS would be kinda cool, he likes the asymmetrical lights of the BMWs. Anybody have an inside on a headlight like these? The bike already sports inverted clubman handlebars and ditched passenger pegs, so we're trying to subtly improve the sportiness of the beast without dropping big change.

I'll hit up some Ducati and BMW forums too, but I'm not really expecting...shall we say...parallel thinking...from people used to dropping 15k on bikes.  ::)

kiawrench

go to jc whitney.com:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FreeCatalogsCust
that is link for catalog- they do international as needed.
look under cruiser section, universal round headlight- last time i looked they had 3 different sizes

they also sell custom fairings, some of which can be set up as streetfighters- using small focus beam lights

problem is, a cx 500 is worth more in original configuration than modified ,even in europe
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

markmakeitso

Hey Kia, thanks for the quick reply.
It's not real clear in my post, but we'd like to avoid regular round or rectangular lights. I will check out JC Whitneys fairings, maybe something would look cool without breaking the bank or looking plasticky. Ebay has a few fairings for <$100, which wouldn't kill us.

kiawrench

as you glide through internet, you will find many types of fairings, so be patient, find the best look . then figure out how to get it . main thing is, be sure it is going to fit, some fairings will crack or snap in half if mounted and is a bad fit. once you buy them, mostly it is yours,due to limited production runs,etc.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Night Vision

Quote from: kiawrench on March 20, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

as you glide through internet, you will find many types of fairings

and now for something a little bit different..... it's hard to see, but they also ran some straight bars through the (83/Euro) risers. the tank also looks like it's upholstered?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Relocated horn & fabric covered tank.  It is a little different.  I do like the seat covering.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

AGGGKKKKKKKK! Say it isn't so!! I have been scarred for life.  o:

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

variety is the spice of life....

I can see it now.... buckhorn handle bars and wallpapered tanks..
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Maybe find some of that gold flecked cupboard shelf paper & stick that on?  Cheaper than paint!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

markmakeitso

While I appreciate the effort I'm unlikely to replicate that particular setup. Seat looks alright, everything else ::) Different strokes and whatnot I guess.

h2olawyer

What does your Vision want to be for Halloween this year?

H2O

kiawrench

R U N N I N G   ! ! ! ! ! ! !

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiawrench on March 24, 2007, 06:16:02 PM
R U N N I N G   ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Great on e Kia!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)