New visionary

Started by Kid Jedi, March 28, 2009, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

Hi.
My name is Parker and I love my vision. I am an engineering student at the SRJC planning to transfer to San Louis Obispo, MIT or  the German equivalent. I have been working on motorcycles for the last 5 years. I now run a small motorcycle shop out of my house. I have enlisted the help of a professional race mechanic with about 20 years building race machines, (motorcycles that is) to help me with my current vision project.

I love the shape and feel of the vision and I would rather modernize "Maev" than settle got an F800st or r1200st

I have a red 82 that i have done a lot of work to. Repaired all of the connectors, removed the connectors in the charging system, switched out to blade fuses, installed an audio system, removed the shoddy kreem liner form the past owner and used por-15 and much more.   My current project on my vision is to install fuel injection and build a new pair of pipes using the most advanced technology and techniques.  The bike will be dyno'ed before and after. I plan on running  one injector, wide band O2, and butterfly valve per cylinder.  One of the visions major problems is the exhaust, the pipe for the rear and front are horrendously different. Thus I am designing a single sided stainless steel exhaust for the bike. My final design will use scavenging and exhaust note theory to make the most of the naturally aspirated motor I can. If this project goes well then I might even add electronically actuated intake and exhaust valves and reprogram the microsquirt computer to use them.

Now for the part that might interest you:
After I make this exhaust I might be convinced to make more (with and with out the O2 Bung) for my fellow visionaries  I plan on using a scorpion slip on. long and narrow  to preserve the stock sound of the bike. ( When my bike is quiet, cops can't catch me :D) of course any aftermarket slip on could be used if you wanted a louder machine. These pipes will be or the highest quality possible, completly stainless steel, and bolt on. no fighting with crappy mounts and what not. if you guys ask nicely I could even work out what jets you would need to re-tune the bike so you wouldn't have to dyno. the "kit" would run about 500 bucks before slip on,  but its hard to be sure at this early stage.

Beauty and quality are the chief concerns with the exhaust and fuel injection project.

I plan on taking a lot of photos and posting them on my web page that I am building for this project.

So who out there would be of assistance to me on this project?

Oh I almost forgot. I am thinking of making some super light weight  pistons for the vision, with a 2 ring system from wisco
http://www.wiseco.com/Presentations/ForgedPistonTechnology.htm

P.S.
I am working on becoming a commissioning engineer for the type of forging machines pictured in the slide show
Loves to over think things.

vadasz1

very intersting, hope to see more of this screaming vision soon.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Brian Moffet

Best off luck.  But to keep the name, identify who said the following line to whom and in what movie:

"Looking? Found someone, you have, I would say, hmmm? "

Tiger

"Looking? Found someone, you have, I would say, hmmm? " [/quote]

:-\ Master Yoda to Luke Skywalker in......Return of the Jedi ??

Whoooops sorry...welcome to the ROV... ;) 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

I think the point was to have Kid Jedi answer it  ::)

And you're wrong...  ;D

vadasz1

Actually it's The Empire Strikes Back........................DOH.....did I say that out loud...................OOOOOPPPPPPSSSS!!!!!!       ;)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Kid Jedi

yup, Yoda to Luke on Dagobah Empire strikes back, like the 2nd  or 3rd line Yoda says to Luke after he ventures in to Luke's camp.

Those movies are so bad, in just the right way. i love em, but i don't dress up or anything, just have to many things to work on.

By the way I have the KIDJEDI motorcycle plate.

What have you guys done to your bike as far as cool additions/ redesigns?

tonight i am thinking about lining the brake light with Super right led strips i found in a dumpster outside of A Phillips electronics shop, they are originally for those waaaaaay too frackin bright brakelights in some cars, ya know, the ones that cause retinal failure and in some extreme cases miscarriages. i REALLY should fire up the camera....

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Kid Jedi on March 29, 2009, 09:46:08 PM
Those movies are so bad, in just the right way. i love em, but i don't dress up or anything, just have to many things to work on.

hey, you're dissing my employer... But then again so do I, I refuse to even acknowledge the existence of parts 1 2 and 3  ;D

inanecathode

Volt meter is a cool/important mod.
Depends if you have a dash or not, but i'm planning on a good selection of gauges: Clock, oil pressure, oil temp, volts, amps and so forth.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

I'm already interested....

Get on with this small project of yours.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Kid Jedi on March 28, 2009, 04:46:40 PM
Hi.
My name is Parker and I love my vision.

Hi Parker,

My name is Coil.

I've got some friends down in Sonoma County. I look forward to riding down and visiting this summer.

Welcome to Vision Ownership

;)
Coil

Aelwulf

Hey Parker.  If you end up in SLO I'm a bit south in Santa Maria.  Vision's in work but can ride on the Mean Streak sometime.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Kid Jedi

I have a fondness the mean streak! I remember I was riding with a few friends, my buddy was on his yellow mean streak, and he just twisted the throttle and started to walk away! my other friend on a '83 Honda magna 750 had to downshift 3 times to keep up! but that magna passed us like a rocket. i believe the magna has a top speed of about 160. I was on my '03 BMW F650CS.

YellowJacket!

How can anyone NOT have a fondness for the mean streak?!  IMHO, awesome bike.  I still say I'm gettting myself one when I graduate from PA school.

Hello Parker and welcome to ROV, sounds like you have a bit of expereince and a bit to contribute to the community.

I look forward to seeing your Vision grow.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

davidsmithxc

Hey Parker, sounds like a great project!  Also, I'm a grad student in mechanical engineering at Cal Poly SLO.  If you end up here, send me a line!  A fellow vision rider and engineer in SLO would be great.

Kid Jedi

Ya know I just might... :D