News:

Main Menu

Speedin again!

Started by Rick G, June 09, 2008, 03:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I had a ride , down to Bullhead today , needed to check up on my buddy Mike's house , as he is in Colorado for a month.
Ride went fine , although the darn thing still has a flaky idle on one cylinder , after it runs for a couple of hours. Anyway, it motored up the 12% grade on highway 68 ,coming up out of Bullhead  and was running really well, as we topped the pass at 80 . There was no traffic, so I opened it up as soon as I hit the straight  part that runs across Golden Valley.  It topped out at 113/114 . It's a slight down grade , may be 1 or 1.5 % and I had the wind at my back.Temp was 92 f.
I have installed my standard height, Clearview windshield, as a minor mishap destroyed what was left of the custom 4 inch over ,smoke tint ,  I got from Humber. I hunched down and pinned my knees to the tank and tucked my elbows in. I have a set of soft bags on the bike now. RPM was an indicated 8500, at 114. There's some needle bounce  at that speed and I'm really paying attention to where I'm going, at that speed and not studying the speedo! Although Hiway 68 is in far better shape than 66. 
Its seems like the tach is reading low . If any of you , who have euro gears would care to give me your rpm at what ever speeds your comfortable with ,I would be grateful . Don't go roaring around at 100 mph on my account, let your good sense (or lack of it) be your guide. I'm just curious if my tach is right , I'm sure that the kph speedo with Humbers custom faces, I bought on ebay is, as I've timed it, over a measured distance.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

Rick,

Today I'm going to drag mine out of the shed and get it running again after a year or so of not using it.  Whenever it gets running-hopefully today or tomorrow-i'll go try it out.  At that speed on 95 i'll be lagging behind  ;D
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."