Well its not a telescope...

Started by inanecathode, July 30, 2010, 12:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

But my attention has also been drawn away from the vision this summer.

I'll post up pictures as i proceed, should be pretty fun :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Interesting project!  I like the Subaru swap.  My first car was a 63 bug.  That old 1200 kept popping valves in the #3 cylinder.  It  was a known design flaw that kept the #3 cylinder too hot.  After the 5th one, I found a good 1300 to swap.    Also upgraded from a 6v to a 12v electrical system.  Excellent car for learning to drive in the Steamboat winter.  drove it until the shifter gate wore out & didn't feel like fixing it again.  Sure taught me a lot about wrenching!

Enjoy the project!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Got some stuff done today, finished the exhaust (needs a hanger off the end of the muffler, and a better bracket from the secondary cat to the exhaust manifold, but this is basically it:

Started on the coolant pipes. I'm going to use 1.25" galvanized conduit pipe. I'm using flexible joints with straight shots of pipe to avoid having to cut and weld (then later fix pinhole leaks) plus it's loads easier ;)

Started with these:

Put some of these on here

Ends up looking something like this (you can also see why i will be doing some work with heat shielding with those cats, im thinking a ceramic spacer and stock heat shields with fiberglass stuffed under.

Here the idea is go over the drive axle, dive down just short of the swing arm near the pivot, then go forwards and off to the left (the standing up pipe is the inlet on the radiator) with two hangers on that pipe, two on the other (obviously the inlet pipe will be a bit easier).

h2olawyer

How did you get the engine to mate with the transaxle?  Is there an adapter available or did you have to fab something?

Quite the exhaust.  Two cats?!?  Not as complex as the bundle of snakes in the Ford GT40, but still . . .  Looks like your welding skills will get a real workout with it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Like the 'cherry bomb'... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 31, 2010, 04:52:00 AM
How did you get the engine to mate with the transaxle?  Is there an adapter available or did you have to fab something?

Quite the exhaust.  Two cats?!?  Not as complex as the bundle of snakes in the Ford GT40, but still . . .  Looks like your welding skills will get a real workout with it.

H2O

Ah yes, theres an adapter and flywheel you have to get, changes the bolt pattern from the motor and spaces the flywheel out to get out and meet the input shaft.

fret not

Dude!  You still have green weeds!  Here in California it is brown except for the trees.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

inanecathode

Quote from: fret nut on August 01, 2010, 12:43:33 AM
Dude!  You still have green weeds!  Here in California it is brown except for the trees.

Are you kidding, everything is green up here. Lots of water, lots of sun, its awesome.

Did a bit more work today, finished the 'goes-out-a' coolant line:

Mounting worked just the way i thought it would, its very solid, nothings going nowhere (cept maybe the bit that goes over the drive axle but i'd rather that flop a little than have it hard mounted as the motor will be moving around a bit. I might stuff some foam in around the pipe where it enters that little piece of subframe on the body. Anyway, heres what it looks like under the car:

Only a couple problems i'll have to manage at some point. I know for a fact i have a hole in my radiator. It was fine until i got frustrated and in a hurry putting the radiator in the car that i jammed the fan frame up against the radiator fins and holed one of the rows. I think i'll just try patching it or pinching off that line until things are working good, then i'll replace the radiator with something newer.

The radiator is also off of a different kind of car (toyota mr2 over here, dunno what they are over there, mid engined fiero rip off toyota has been making for a while) so the inlet/outlet on the radiator is a different size. It's about a quarter inch smaller than the subaru hose. It might be a goofy shade tree fix but i just tightened the hell out of the hose clamp and it seems to have sinched down enough to seal things up.

Next i'll be working on the goes-in-ta coolant line, should go a bit easier as i know how to do this now ;)

Then it's on to expansion tank and related hoses, i'll hold off on the heater until i have the car running good. If i never get around to the heater i always have my gas heater to keep me warm :D I plan on at first just running a hose from the outlet on the upper manifold up to the tank, and running another to the lower manifold from the tank. I dont know how i should work the hoses for the heater, if i want to run a line up into the tank, then all the way out to the heater, then straight into the lower manifold or should i run it back up into the tank then down to the t-stat. Hmm