News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Is THIS a low-side?

Started by kwells, January 11, 2008, 12:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Tiff, where is it you ride dressed in just gloves , helmet and boots, I think I should change where I ride!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kwells , it makes one wish, for a canoe paddle :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ! Or maybe a pool que! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Quote from: DaveTN on January 12, 2008, 10:40:43 AM
Any follow up photos?  Did he save it?

Coil,  Not sure if it was a low or high.  She said she thought something was in the road but doesn't remember much after that.  Her shoulders look bad...really bad.

David

Sounds like a high side, that would give her body the chance to flip onto her shoulders and then her butt. If it had been a low side her leg and elbow would be like Tiffanator's toe curling fantasy.

:o
Coil

Tiffanator

Quote from: Rick G on January 13, 2008, 02:01:29 AM
Tiff, where is it you ride dressed in just gloves , helmet and boots, I think I should change where I ride!!!!
Just right around the neigborhood here, all the neighbors come out and wave when I do, especially the mexican guys building the house down the street, they are all so friendly.  ;D I can't imagine why they aren't like that when I'm fully dressed.
Tiff.  ;)
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on January 13, 2008, 11:24:20 AM
Tiff, where is it you ride dressed in just gloves , helmet and boots, I think I should change where I ride!!!!
Just right around the neighborhood here, all the neighbors come out and wave when I do, especially the Mexican guys building the house down the street, they are all so friendly.  ;D I can't imagine why they aren't like that when I'm fully dressed.
Tiff.  ;)

8) Hmmmmmm, according to mapquest....I can be at yours in 18 hour's & 39 minute's, (1160.66mile's!!!)... :o Do you ride in the early hour's :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Now Now, leave the lady alone (she'd probably kick your ass anyway & if not, i'm sure S/O would)  :D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

Quote from: Tiger on January 13, 2008, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: Tiffanator on January 13, 2008, 11:24:20 AM
Just right around the neighborhood here, all the neighbors come out and wave when I do, especially the Mexican guys building the house down the street, they are all so friendly.  ;D I can't imagine why they aren't like that when I'm fully dressed.
Tiff.  ;)

8) Hmmmmmm, according to mapquest....I can be at yours in 18 hour's & 39 minute's, (1160.66mile's!!!)... :o Do you ride in the early hour's :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
leave it to Johnny and his Irish wit.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiffanator

You guys are too funny.  ;D Tiger... I ride anytime I want to.
Lucky... no S/O, but I can hand over a pretty good ass kicking if I want to.  ;)
If anyone does decide to come.. bring a stator! Ha ha!
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

don_vanecek

Headline in the Omaha World Herald Sunday was that the yearly bill to modify Nebraska's mandatory helmet law will be the first bill to come up in the 2008 legislative session. A group called ABATE talks on their web site how they are not against helmet use, but.....  I have to chuckle at part of their defence for dumping the helmet law is that all the bikers going to Sturgis "avoid" going through NE due to our helmet law.  Duh, look at the map, unless your coming up from Kansas, your most likely not going to take I-80 anyway-and they go on to say how hundreds of other bikers avoid NE and we loose lots of money because of this.  Who knows, this maybe the year they succeed. Young riders up to 21 would still be mandatory under the new bill. Can't wait to see all those Sturgis riders going across NE on I-80 next year instead of I-90 in SD!   

h2olawyer

But most of your Nebraska roads are so well suited for a Harley!!!

Tiff - I have a whole pile of stators.  Too bad they're all fried.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Actually Tiff, i meant our S/O's, not yours!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiffanator

H20... well that doesn't help me any. I think I have one that I can add to your collection. Maybe you should make a statue out of them.. and ode to the Vision.  ;D
Lucky... ah... yes... you are most likely correct on that one.

Its funny... Mississippi has a helmet law but I really don't hear of people complaining about it much. There is one event here called Little Sturgis where they allow people to ride around the event grounds without a helmet, but not outside the area. Honestly, it doesn't take a law to get me to wear a helmet. Now if they make me start wearing one on a bicycle...  >:(
Tiffanator
First time restorer

don_vanecek

Tiff, I had a nice spill on a bike a few years ago, just riding around, probably looking up at something, hit a two or three in diameter stick in the road-that had I been paying attention to what I was doing could easily have been avoided or ridden over.  I tell you when 220 lbs of middle aged man goes down it hurts. I was able keep my unprotected head from hitting the pavement and was lucky I had a light jacket on or the skin would have been damaged abit. Boy did I ever feel dumb as I picked myself up. I normally wear a bike helmet now.

The whole conclusion to wearing protective gear, helmets, seat belts in your car, etc, is that at the time of crisis, events are now beyond your control and if your not all ready prepared to handle the crisis, well then you pay the piper! (oh you know that, I better get off this soap box!)   

Aelwulf

I mostly wear a bike helmet for some almosts.  I've a mountain bike and have nearly taken a header over the handlebars a few times hitting roots.  I have taken a header over once trying to jump a bruch pile and the back tire landed in the leaves on the side stopping the bike.  Thankfully it was just soft dirt.  I've also been doing roughly 30 down a hill, had a van pass by me then about 20 feet up suddenly decide to stop and slow-crawl turn to the right directly in front of me.  If I had a horn I'd have been leanin' on it as I didn't have room to stop.  My side-skids messin' around at the house though paid off as I wound up doing that and going 90 degrees about four inches from the side of the van then cutting around the back (good thing no traffic at the time).  By the time I turned around to glare at 'em and think about going back they were finally moving along again.

So yeah, bike helmets still aren't quite the coolest but they are getting better and could be worth it.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

I now have 2 helmets for motorcycles, one for snowboarding, and one for mtn biking. Mountain biking by far is the easiest to go down.  But   I hit my head a few winters ago on some ice and one of my arms went numb.  That's all it took to realize that isn't so safe either.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

I'm not so worried about my head on a snowboard as I am my chin.  Sure a helmet's a good idea but I cracked my chin on an outcropping of ice once and it rattled my head the rest of the day.  I think I got a minor concussion but never got confirmation, the effects were gone the next day.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

You would think that as safety conscious as I am about motorcycling, I'd be the same about skiing.  Not so.  I've been skiing since 1964 - many of those years 5 to 7 days a week from mid-November through April.  Never wore a helmet & don't plan to start anytime soon.  I've had my share of massive "yard sales" (where your equipment gets spread over a significant area of ski slope during a fall), and even come away from a couple of them a little dazed.  I may reconsider the helmet if I get back into doing lots of tree skiing again but otherwise, I just find them too bulky for my liking.  Glad I have a choice in the matter.

I raced at the collegiate level -- slalom & giant slalom.  No helmets then either.  They may be required now, but my college days were when the NHL was just getting going with requiring helmets, so they just weren't really in the center of attention at the time.  Today's slalom technique requires helmets - not so much for crash protection, but rather to keep the gate poles from knocking you silly!  In fact, today's slalom racer wears a lot of armor - shins, forearms, gloves, helmet & a few even wear chest protectors similar to MX gear!  When I raced, it was padded shoulders on the sweater & padding on the thigh area of the pants.  Technique has really changed in 20 years.

H2O

If I had kids learning to ski, they'd be in helmets, though.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

tree skiing and east coast ice will change your mind.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

don_vanecek

Well, you will still have to wear a helmet in NE, the bill was defeated on a close call, 25-23.  Sorry, the Harley riders will just have to keep taking I-90 across South Dakota to Sturgis (as if they weren't going to anyway). 

Rick G

Walking in the winter in Mn can be dangerous. It seems every winter, I slipped on the ice during the January thaw. Usually in a parking lot that hadn't been properly plowed . when the churned up snow  refroze it is treacherous to walk on. My experience crashing motorcycles may have helped , I always dropped my chin to my chest, in an effort to NOT crack my head on the ice. :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike