News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

can't get her started

Started by kev10104, October 20, 2009, 04:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

IWe had the bike started a few times but she is very stubborn.I know she has been sitting for a couple of years so a really good run would do wonders but I just can't get her started anymore.The carbs are clean and she is getting a spark.She sounds like she has tons of power but it is like it just won't fire.I switched my tci unit with it hoping but no good.A push start won't work either.I had her running the other day for about 10-15 minuted and then she just died.I tried new gas but still no good.Any ideas?

Night Vision

I'm not familiar with what you have done to your bike (upgrades / refurbish)

.... but if you have ruled out gas related possibilities, then head to the 'lectrics...

you may have a safety cut off circut that intermittently is acting up

side stand switch
clutch switch
neutral switch

how's your fuse box?

when you say just won't start... do you mean won't turn over? or won't "catch"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

jim328

Sorry to jump in on the post but I have exactly the same problem. I have been through the electrics, carbs are squeaky clean, good spark, lots of fuel getting to float bowls but it now just won't catch. Turns over forever without a sign of life. Was running one day and not the next. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

kev10104

sunburnedaz

try starter fluid, it it catches on that it a fuel problem, it it doesn;t is an electrical problem 99.9% of the time.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

akvision

simple... gas, air, spark, timing.  If is is there, it will bark.

I am suspicous of your carbs, especially the smallest jet.  My bike sat for 6 weeks this spring with premium, filtered gas and it would not idle and run at low speed. 3500 and up was good but just kept dying.  Pulled the carbs and cleaned the atomizer and smallest pilot jet, was all good. Ran purrrrrfect all the way to Roswell and back to Littleton CO.  Now 'Rhpaw' has removed the tank and drained it, started the bike and ran it to the stop and lastly drained the carb bowls.  disconnect the Battery.

next would be the Spark....., switches,  wiring, coils, grounds??? Test, test, test.   

Will report next spring on how the anesthetics work when we crank it back up.  sleep sweetly AKVISION!
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Walt_M.

Mine decided to have a little fun with me a couple of weeks(actually a month) ago. I was going to ride before heading out for my 2 weeks in Orlando and she just would not fire. Crank, crank, crank and not a peep. Did not have time to work on it but I had 2 weeks to think about it and decided it was low battery volts. Next trip home I put the charger on it over night, next day, same thing but faster cranking. Had other things that had to be done so I left the charger on. Next day with more time and more thinking, decided it was low fuel level. As mine is an '83, the accelerator pump doesn't squirt unless it has vacuum so I whacked the throttle numerous times as it was cranking and was able to get her running. Rode to the station and fueled up. No problem since but I am really considering the electric fuel pump. Works wonders on my TDM.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kev10104

I think I will have to take her to the master(Tiger) to see what he can come up with.