News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Cleaning an engine

Started by Kiwi, May 25, 2012, 12:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

So, i am embarking on a new project... I have a inline 6 cylinder engine i am going to turn into a  coffee table.
Whats the best way to clean it to make it look nice?

I was thinking of getting it soda blasted or some other similar method.

Are there any DIY options?   I may consider buying some equipment so i can clean the vision engine one day.

Thanks !
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Lucky

Mineral spirits are the way to go.  if it's a mess, take it outside & hit it with Foamy Engine Brite or a similar degreaser, let it soak in, using a parts brush in the nooks & crannies. hose it off.  then repeat with the mineral spirits either in a spray bottle (don't reuse it or mark it well, it looks like water) or on a rag & a green scrubbie pad. blow dry with compressed air then paint/polish as desired.

i'm guessing your draining the oil out, you can also use the mineral spirits to clean out the sump.  you probably can crank it thru the engine as well to thin the oil & promote oil drainage.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi

Yep, no oil in it.
It's curerntly in pieces on the garage floor.  I've taken the bottom end out, crank shaft, and am now about to start on the top end of the motor

Jimustanguitar

It's not the cheapest option, but you could have an engine shop dip or bake the block. They do this all the time before machine work. You'd have clean gray iron that you could paint to your liking then.

Lucky

that's called 'hot tanking'. not sure if many places do it anymore, but it's almost the same thing, the block goes in a small booth with a turntable at the bottom, they close the door & the block is sprayed at all angles with hot mineral spirits (at least that's how the one at our dealership worked)

I understand that most places woun't tank aluminum blocks & heads, as it discolors (and I think corrodes). i'm not sure about that though...

jefferson

Pressure sprayer after the degreaser. You will be a mess afterwards though. Wear goggles.

Jeff

Lucky

I have an on again, off again, on again project of making a cutaway Vision engine coffee table, hopefully one that turns at slow speed.  i now have 2 blown engines to work with...

Tiger

Quote from: Kiwi on May 25, 2012, 02:23:26 PM
It's currently in pieces on the garage floor.

Superb way to go...You can use a paint stripper and pressure washer on the outside cases and have everything cleaned up prior to rebuild. Bead/fine sand/soda blasting, etc, will give you a clean mill finish. Once rebuilt, you can polish or paint as desired.

Quote from: Lucky on May 25, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
...i now have 2 blown engines to work with...

Hmmmmm...a V4 coffee table me thinks :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) Seriously though Lucky (& Kiwi), how about making some clear Plexiglas type covers to replace some of the oem ones and use some coloured LED lighting to hi-lite as required???

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

67GTO

Just make sure you have a safe place to put the gas tank.

Also route the exhaust outside and check for any leaks.

Should have a carbon monoxide detector in the house.

:)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rikugun

And if you heat up a can of beans on the exhaust, poke a hole in the lid first.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Nobody has asked the obvious question.  What did the engine come out of, or otherwise power?

Lucky

My plan is to operate it with the starter, maybe 50 rpm. not sure how to slow down the starter at the moment. it won't be firing (but might spark).  since it's cutaway, you'll see the full travel of the piston, cams, etc. selected sections will be cut out, & there will be no compression...

if i ever get it done...

QBS

Lower voltage yields less starter power = less rpm.

Rikugun

I worked at a place that built industrial sanders. The feed table conveyor used 1/4 hp electric motors with gear reduction for a final 30 rpm speed. A lovejoy coupling to the trans output or shaft drive in combo with the V's 5 speed gearbox would give you a selection of demonstration speeds.

For a bit more money a DC variable speed motor would be great for that.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

When I worked at Temple City Honda, we had an aluminum specific hot tank  We fired it up two days a  week. It did a marvelous job on engine rebuilds,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kiwi

I got all but 2 of the pistons out of the motor.  These last two are rather stuck in there, soaking in Pblaster at the moment.
In order to make the table an appropriate height, i need to put something underneath it.
I am thinking a wooden box that i can mount some lights in side.

QBS

Kiwi, what did the engine come out of?