News:

Main Menu

gack, starter relay?

Started by Brian Moffet, September 30, 2010, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

When I cam in this morning, I noticed that my voltage was not keeping up with the normal levels.  When I was at 3000 RPM it was in the low 13s, but at idle it went down to 11.  I figured it was my time for the stator/regulator issues.  However, when I got in to work, I killed the bike with the key and the starter motor was still running.  I switched the key back on, hit the button, and it started right up.  And, when I switched it off, it completely switched off. 

I verified once more that I could start and stop the bike, and that worked as expected.

I haven't looked yet, but I'm suspecting the starter relay.  The headlight was on, and I think that is actually controlled by a different relay connected to the switch.

Any other ideas (other than my starter probably didn't like running, even with no load, for 25 minutes...)

Brian

Re-Vision

Brian, it looks to me that the starter switch may have stuck if the headlights were on while the starter motor was running.     BDC

Brian Moffet

If the switch stuck, then the headlight would have been off, correct?  (which is why I am thinking the relay)

Re-Vision

The starter switch applies a ground to the starter relay when pushed and opens the headlight path when pushed. It could be that only one set of contacts of starter switch are sticking and its also possible that starter relay contacts are sticking. Your description made me suspect starter switch. Shouldn't be to hard to find if it happens again.    BDC

Lucky

once the engine starts, centrifigul force throws the rollers out on the starter clutch, so no engine dammage, you may have worn the starter brushes and/or nose seal though..

headlight off is mechanicly controlled in the starter button, pushing the button disconnects the headlight, so that was as it should be..

i'd agree, begin with the starter relay...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Art least I have a good idea that it's happening, if my voltage is below 13 when idling, it's probably happening.

Thanks for the input.  The starter relay is certainly easier :-)

Brian Moffet

Well, on the way home it worked just fine...  I ordered a starter rebuild kit to have around.  I'll keep an eye/ear on it.

Brian