Its aliiiiiive ha ha!(but now a new question.

Started by fiddlesticks, November 06, 2004, 12:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlesticks

This is getting frustrating. Cant seem to get gas into the engine. Put in new battery. Installed the tank from other bike that runs thinking maybe plugged up petcock. Have good spark at plugs. Float bowls had gas in them, so we drained it. When I take the airbox off and open throttle, cant see any fuel entering carbs. The carbs were rebuilt by previous owner and it appears that some of the lines are not plugged in the same way as my running V. If that is the case how did he even drive it away from the shop? Dont know what to try next. ?Also throttle sticks at full open. Looks like we got a project here. Any help would be appreciated.

Fiddlesticks
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

louthepou

Hey fiddlesticks,

Just a few comments.

1. Different lines, visual differences between both carbs: maybe you've got an 83 carb that looks a bit different from the 82. Maybe previous owner new very little.

2. Getting it running: You drained the carbs. DId they fill again? If so, then you know the petcock brings fuel.

3. One solution is to swap carbs (not that tough, just a bit annoying), then work on the ones not working. Or if you know both carbs should look the same, match the working carb's look for the other one.

4. Throttle sticks: could be: twist grip sticks, throttle cable not routed right, something rubs on the linkage (rod between the two carbs), maybe other causes... but I'd start with making sure the carb linkage movement is free from any obstruction.

Good luck,

Louis

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

silicon_toad2000

is the tap on run or prime when your doing this.
Like Lou said eliminate things starting from the tap, make sure the tap flows fuel, then the fuel pump outlet.
If everything's ok all the way to the carbs, if you can easily get one of the carb tops off, take the accelerator pump nozzle off (if you can get it off that is) and using a magnet see if you can get the weight and ball valve out, they might be stuck meaning that your accelerator pump isnt working.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

fiddlesticks

Thanks so far. Weve done some investigating and found a post from the previous owner. I have know idea how to link to this so please check post 07 20 2004.
Its called
Phttp://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1090333019
page 11.
 I need to know if I am looking at an accelerator pump nozzle. It appears that by reading their previous posts that they attempted to do the carbs themselves and the hoses dont seem to go to the same places as my other V.
Ok the link doesnt work but is called
carbs done...hose fitting required!!
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Lucky

suggestions above are good, try disconnecting the throttle  cable at the carbs & see if it still sticks open.

a coupla notes on accel pump removal & cleaning:
--if you need to pull the nozzles, use care they are made of brass & are soft.
--use a GOOD pair of vice grips and grab the turret (big round part pressed into the carb body) with the vice grips from the top.  tiny twisting motions back & forth (screw like) while pulling up should get tit off.
--once off get some multi strand wire used for hanging pictures. it's very stiff & very thin. use one strand to clean out the nozzle.
--don't loose the ball check & weight inside the carb. ball goae in first, then the weight.
--tap the nozzle back in carefully & straight.  you probably will have to lightly file the turrent part of the nozzle round again to allow the carb top to fit back on properly.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

gbranche

Lucky

correct link: http://www.ghetti.net/cgi-bin/ROVBB/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1090333019

that is not an accelerator nozzle. What I sent Wendy is a fuel by-pass return fitting. on the 82 carbs, it connects the triangular bypass on the fuel pump to the top of thr front carb.
--Lucky

fiddlesticks

Thanks for fixing the link guys. Lucky ignore your email. I didnt think youd be back so soon. I know what it is now. I'll look tommorow. Would that piece stop the carbs from getting fuel?
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Lucky

nope, it's a fuel return
--Lucky

fiddlesticks

So we drained the floats again, which means they did fill up again last night. We also re attatched all the hoses to where they run on V1. The carbs are the same. V 2 still doesnt start though.

make sure the tap flows fuel, then the fuel pump outlet.

Hey SToad  how do I make sure the fuel pump outlet is working?
1 Black 82 Virago 750

Lucky

most likely the pilot screws are way off, and then once the bike runs synq the carbs.

start with the screws 3 turns out from lightly seated.

--Lucky

fiddlesticks

Thanks all for your help. Shes running a bit rough but rough is better than not running. Thanks also Lucky for your advise and expertise with a webcam. Syncing will have to wait till we figure out how to make a manometer. She idles good but even a slight touch of the throttle sends the rpm through the roof. Wow. That will be the next challenge.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

louthepou

Way to go Fiddlesticks!

There's a good feeling: when the frustration (mentioned in the first post) makes way to the exhiliration of an engine firing up!Or in this case, the "acceleration" of an engine firing up... HAHAHA! Sorry, I've been up on my roof too long today fixing up shingles.

A fine example of perserverance, and also of ROV members being one of the finest XZ550 resource in the known universe.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic