News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Ride safe, Beat the heat.

Started by Lucky, June 07, 2011, 06:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

So most of the country is in a decent heat wave.  Remember to stay hydrated!
When i'm riding in weather like this, i wear a perferated jacket, and often will put a water soaked bandana either over my head (under my helmet) or around my neck.

Share your tips to "Beat the heat":
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

My only tip is to ride early, also helps in beating the traffic.
" border="0

Brian Moffet

Ride in San Francisco, it's is never too hot....  :o  ;D

ArrrGeee

or Cape Cod where it's always sunny and 70.   heh.

8)

Lucky

and to think, for most people, being surrounded by water on 3 sides is a bad thing, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

This is the deluxe version of beat the heat. Load that sucker in the truck, and with the a/c on, take it to cool riding zone.
" border="0

Ron_McCoy

Ride in the Tehachapi, Ca. area.  61 degrees today.

QBS

This how I ride in the desert:
    Shoes are Newbalance running, pants are blue jeans, shirts are an undershirt under a heavy flannel shirt or two.  A light weight two piece rain is worn over all of this.  I completely and totally soak all the clothing.  Whatever lakes, streams, gas station water hoses, swimming pools encountered enroute are my water sources.  By completely and totally soaking, I mean get in water up to the helmet chin strap.
    Next, ride and luxuriate in wonderful evaperative cooling.  Wet down at every gas stop or convenient opportunity.  The purpose of the heavy clothing is to hold a lot of water.  The purpose of the rain suit is to slow the rate of evaporation so you don't dry too fast.
  This may seem extreme or bizare to some.  Never the less, I have done this many times and traveled many miles in the USA desert southwest and never had any problems with heat related issues. An added bonus is that are your cloths stay clean longer.  BTW, your underware is the last thing to dry.

Rikugun

QuoteBTW, your underware is the last thing to dry.

Sounds like a recipe for a wicked case of monkey butt!  :o  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

kiawrench

one thing i feel i need to add to this post,, never put sunscreen lotion on above your neck and ride a motorcycle!!

i wear a helmet about 99.2 percent of the time, full helmet ,full shield and at times switch it out for full face job or a modular flip up depends on the weather. problem is, i also live at the beach, so i use a good bit of sunscreen products too. motorcycle riding and sunscreen do not mix.   

sunscreen lotion is great ,, but if you put it on face ,neck ,or head   wash it off prior to strapping on a helmet!

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .