News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

BUSTED!!!

Started by Tiger, August 31, 2008, 08:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joevacc

I never Idle my cars.  Not even at an atm or drive up teller.  I have been know to say something to truck and bus drivers for just letting those things idle endlessly!  You can't breathe around them.
I think I read some where that 30% of US harmful emissions comes from idling cars alone.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Blake

Quote from: Aelwulf on September 13, 2008, 03:13:13 AM
My dad got busted once by one of the air tags.  Ends up one of the planes clocked 'em and called it in so they had one officer/cruiser for each person in the group.

It made me laugh when I read this.  Around here near DC, in northern VA, you see those "limit enforced by aircraft" signs a lot, although its a slim to zero chance because of all the air restrictions.  A couple years ago it was big on the news that Fairfax county cops were told NOT to chase motorcycles.  If they caught a sportbike doing 100+ they could easily rocket 150+ and have their option of about 20 different exits within a half mile.  I remember on the local sport bike listserve someone linked to a story where they tried to use a helicopter to catch the sportbikes from street racing on 95, but couldnt keep track of them because of the mess/speed.  The one good thing about this area is that when traffic is actually moving, 80-85mph in a 55-65 zone on 95 is common and cops dont seem to stop you unless your going near 90, or acting like an idiot and swerving between traffic.

Oh and Joe.  Truckers idle for quite a few reasons (Up until a few months ago I did research on trucks). Of course the big things being their lights, heater, nice tv and satellite systems in there, fridges, etc.  And if they park on the side of the road the lights have to be on all night so they can be seen.  Basically its cheaper for them to sit there and idle all night than get a $30 hotel room.  Quite a few of them also said that those things guzzle so much gas warming up that it was cheaper to let it idle for a few hours.  Of course I never actually checked but I heard that from so many that I assumed it was true, especially with those huge diesels.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

joevacc

Yea I drove for a while in my 20's and early 30's.  It's hell on a diesel engine or any engine for that matter, to shut it down and start it up right away...  But it's the world we live in now that has to be dealt with.

I hear you on the room for the night,, expensive... but I have not seen a $30 room in at least 10 years!  With the price of fuel it may be 6 to one... Idling vs a room!
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Blake on September 16, 2008, 10:46:43 AM
Around here near DC, in northern VA, you see those "limit enforced by aircraft" signs a lot, although its a slim to zero chance because of all the air restrictions. 

A couple of years ago, a local police plane was at the airport, they were having lunch at the Mexican restaurant there.  When they took off, they announced on the radio that they would be patrolling from Watsonville to Santa Cruz, and they didn't want to catch any pilots on the freeway heading home from the airport...

Brian

joevacc

Quote from: Brian Moffet on September 16, 2008, 11:16:35 AM
and they didn't want to catch any pilots on the freeway heading home from the airport...

Brian

A couple of gentleman they were!   :D
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
Helen Keller

h2olawyer

Many of the newer trucks from Freightliner, Kenworth, Peterbuilt, etc. are coming with generators to run instead of idling the large diesel all night.  These generators I've seen can run on diesel or some are set up for propane / cng.  Some truck stops are installing hook-ups for shore power as that's becoming another popular addition to long haul trucks. 

Great police pilots to warn their bretheren!

Last summer, while we were enjoying the mountain roads around Winter Park for the 25 year party, the garage parking for our condo was used by the Winter Park police.  There was one officer who let us know where the state patrol was planning to patrol on some days.  Turns out he was a bike rider, too.  Kept coming through the garage saying, "You guys are killing me!"  Think he wanted to join us instead of patrolling town.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

arthurdent510

I do a bit of work for ASU PD's computer systems...  there's a lot of electronics in the car, and it drains the battery's really fast if they turn the cars off and leave all the electronics going.  And it takes a while to start everything up if they need to get going in a hurry...  it's fairly common for the cars to be out of service with dead batteries because someone forgot to turn something off  :-\

YellowJacket!

Quote from: arthurdent510 on September 16, 2008, 01:33:07 PM
I do a bit of work for ASU PD's computer systems...  there's a lot of electronics in the car, and it drains the battery's really fast if they turn the cars off and leave all the electronics going.  And it takes a while to start everything up if they need to get going in a hurry...  it's fairly common for the cars to be out of service with dead batteries because someone forgot to turn something off  :-\

Ahhhh...Didn't think of that.  Good reason.

I have a carputer in my car that runs my nav, music etc and the PSU for it is set to "hibernate" if the engine is off for more than 15 minutes.  This way it will stay booted up if I stop to fill the tank or make short stops.  If it goes into hibernate, it takes about a minute to wake up and everything to get ready to use again, so I can see how that first minute can be so important.
Now trying to figure out how to mount it in my saddle bag.   LOL

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ironb12s

RAM Mounts can make just about anything fit anywhere on the bike.  Ask me how I know?

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 16, 2008, 05:14:17 PM

Ahhhh...Didn't think of that.  Good reason.

I have a carputer in my car that runs my nav, music etc and the PSU for it is set to "hibernate" if the engine is off for more than 15 minutes.  This way it will stay booted up if I stop to fill the tank or make short stops.  If it goes into hibernate, it takes about a minute to wake up and everything to get ready to use again, so I can see how that first minute can be so important.
Now trying to figure out how to mount it in my saddle bag.   LOL

David
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

YellowJacket!

LOL, I have one for my UMPC....Pics to follow.  I have a Samsung Q1-Ultra and a suction cup RAM mount that fits nice and secure on my tank.  The Q1 has a great daylight screen and serves me well for my GPS and other needs.  It even got me and lucky "unlost" when we went to the MC boneyard in search of Vision parts. The RAM mount also sticks to my cages windshield.  ;D

Just found a GPS speedometer program that will work on the UMPC and my PPC - which has too small a screen to look down at while I'm riding.  I can load it up on the Q1 though and have a 7" speedometer display right in front of me.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Aelwulf

My brother killed the battery in his cruiser one night because he forgot to turn his setup off. :P HAd it jumped/charged/going again by the afternoon I believe, wasn't a busy day so wasn't too big a deal.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

>:( Well, I had my day in court last week  ::) I was found guilty of 89kph in a 60 zone...(56mph - 38)

The demerit points were reduced from 4 to 3 and the fine reduced from $385.00 to $139.00.

It wasn't all bad...the judge, (who was real cute), during the proceedings announced that she liked my accent  :-[  ;D ;D ;D ;D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

joevacc

Well we all know that your wit and charm (accent) will win over any one in public office.. (not cops)
But that judge was obviously taken by your rugged good looks!

8) 8)
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
Helen Keller