Is this the final stator solution?

Started by darkvision, October 01, 2008, 02:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

I think I got it.  You don't ride enough :).  The gremlins have a tough time touching a bike that is always on the move.  Out of curiosity, do you use a trickle charger when you aren't riding?
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

speaking of Tim Parrot stators... I'm in the process of putting one in... I have this to say about that...

be patient... takes 10 days or more to get it...
the wiring does look to be a lot beefier than the electro sport.
I was surprised at the amount, or lack of, insulation on the unit...

maybe that's a good thing? what does the insulation do?

insulate the wiring from 250 deg oil? copper melts/fails at 1984f deg!

why would you want to insulate the windings and keep the heat in?

maybe it's better to let the heat escape?

I don't know... but I have seen pics of stators that are juicy with epoxy.... and some that look nekid  ???
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

The V ALWAYS lives on a trickle charger.  (Battery Tender Jr.)  Mentioned that several times in previous posts in this thread and elsewhere . . ..  I think I may have found the problem - as I stated - most likely the new OEM type R/R I installed when I put the first replacement stator in.  Every stator with that R/R lasts 1000 miles.  The one time I used a different R/R, I got more miles (until the R/R died & I returned to the previous R/R).  Now, if I can get the new R/R to last, maybe my stator will as well.

I've always had charging system issues on every vehicle I've ever owned.  Not sure why.  Even those I never touch until something goes wrong don't last.  I seem to replace alternators every 25 - 50K miles.  Maybe a vehicle with known charging system issues is the wrong one for me.  My current F250 had an alternator go.  I put another one in.  It ended up shorting out internally and causing a constant 4 amp drain.  Took me forever to figure that one out.  I knew it was someplace in the charging / starting system as I couldn't isolate it by removing fuses one at a time while checking the draw off the battery.  The alternator tested fine at both AutoZone (yeech) and NAPA.

I don't have any magnetic problems with wristwatches, but charging system problems just seem to dog me no matter what I ride, drive or how I try to fix them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

treedragon

I've just gleaned a little more about stators from my XZ man here.

When selling the bikes new out of the crate, (a lot of 400's), he would tell the owners to replace the battery with a good quality one, he recommended Yuasa. He said those customers that did, and kept an eye on battery condition, have never burnt out a stator. Two of the bikes he is still in touch with have done in the order of 80,000k's each with no problems.

h2olawyer

I put a new Interstate Cycle-Tron in at my first stator replacement.  I've heard of inconsistent quality with YUASAs.  After five years of constant life on the Battery Tender, Jr., the Interstate now fails to hold a charge.  Might have been the overcharging the recently replaced R/R was giving it.  Or, after that long, it may have just been time for it to go.  The next one will be an AGM.  The AGM in my pickup is over 8 years old and tests as new.  (knocking heavily on wood).  The pickup's battery has been drained dead numerous times from when my alternator had an internal short.  I am amazed it's lasted so long & remained strong.  Made me a firm believer in AGM technology!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GT @ oh.

I hate to even admit this but :-[...... I have rode around with crappy batteries most of the time....seeing how they seem to go bad in a year or two >:(....like the one now..... two yrs old and it will not read fully charged......there was no liquid in it earlier in the year :-\....maybe cooked out from trickle charger?....I filled it up with water..... should've used acid I suppose......It does start no problem but will not get fully charged.....I'm gonna run down to the battery wholesale store today and see what they will do about it.... nothin I'm sure ...cept offer to sell me another yuasa $30.00 or so....I have always bought yuasa since that is what they always have to sell me.....some will probably laugh but I have always had luck with Diehards in my auto's.....they are only a bit pricer than low budget ones......so if I can find a Diehard for my bike I will try this time.

jasonm.

To answer NV's question,"why would you want to insulate the windings and keep the heat in?"   Because stators are inductors. Otherwise a short from one winding to the next eliminates the inductance.  The question is...how thick if any is there an epoxy coating. I know the stock stators on all bikes do NOT use an epoxy coating. Yes, that coating protects from oil heat. BUT the inductance affect generates far more heat at times.  Probably above 300F.Thus there is a limit to the insulation you can use.  While changing the shift shaft seal,I put a dab of yamabond 4 on a scratch on a winding. I later(2000miles) had to take the cover off again(another issue). The Yamabond had burnt to a crisp. Yes, my original stator is still pumping juice.  The windings are simple wires with a hitemp paint on them wound around a metal core. Better the paint...longer the life.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

jasonm.

Quote from: Night Vision on October 13, 2008, 08:10:47 PM
Quote from: jasonm. on October 13, 2008, 07:45:54 PM
Was someone saying OE stators are $400+?     I was sure the price of a new OE stator is still ~ $150 as of a year ago. No matter how in the toilet the economy is I know the price has not tripled.

sad, but true.... ok, maybe $360+

or http://www.cmsnl.com/products/stator-assy_11h8141010/
€ 349.00

YOu think the increase price of copper has much to do with it?

jasonm.

does anyone/everyone know about the diode under the seat...under the tray???

chips99

Quote from: jasonm. on October 22, 2008, 06:29:54 PM

What's the diode for? Should it be checked?

Rick G

When I started riding bikes , the Japanese had just arrived, their Yuasa batteries were  so far superior to anything else , we installed them in everything , Triumphs , BSA's , Nortons , AJS, Matchless ( same thing really ) and all manner of Puch's, Jawa's, NSU's, Zundapps, Ducatis, Gileras  the list is nearly endless . Yuasas were better than anybody's , everybody's battery's.
Some time in the seventies , or eighties , I forget, they built a plant here and the quality suffered, until they were no better than any other battery.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

I have seen it but didnt know what its for other than preventing reverse voltage flow to something.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Yuasa is likely resting on their laurels from their glory days.  When I was replacing my V's battery in the 80s, all I could find were Yuasas and I would spend as much for one of those as I would for the Die Hards I put in my cars.  Guess that's not changed too much - the Interstate I put in the Vision when the original stator fried was only about $10 less than the last sealed Interstate I put in my Toyota pickup in the late 90s.  It's still far less expensive than the Interstate branded Optima I put in the F250, though!

That spiral cell (Interstate) Optima has been incredible.  I installed it in 2000.  I am on the third alternator in that time (60,000 miles).  The first replacement alternator would drain the battery fully in just a day or two.  I couldn't find the problem, so I installed a cool switch that sensed the battery voltage and would automatically shut off the current when the voltage got too low.  Still, that battery was drained and recharged at least a dozen times before I hit upon that solution.  Had Interstate test it earlier this year and it tested @ 100%.  Just amazing performance for all the abuse it has taken over the years.  Expensive, but I feel it has been a good investment.  It is an AGM type battery with the glass mats wrapped into spirals.  Looks like a 6 pack with a flat top carrier.  A typical battery design would have never survived all those drain / recharge cycles.  I left the onboard Schumacher float charger I installed when the alternator was draining the battery, though.  Works like the battery Tender, but all I have to do is plug in an extension cord.

H2O

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on October 23, 2008, 10:07:03 AM

I have seen it but didnt know what its for other than preventing reverse voltage flow to something.

David

I remember seeing that in the diagram, and at one point knowing what it does, but i do recall it being quite a vital piece, it has something to do with the turn signal system, if it goes bad it does really strange things to the electrical system.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Shop Rat

Quote from: Rick G on October 23, 2008, 12:31:42 AM
When I started riding bikes , the Japanese had just arrived, their Yuasa batteries were  so far superior to anything else , we installed them in everything , Triumphs , BSA's , Nortons , AJS, Matchless ( same thing really ) and all manner of Puch's, Jawa's, NSU's, Zundapps, Ducatis, Gileras  the list is nearly endless . Yuasas were better than anybody's , everybody's battery's.
Some time in the seventies , or eighties , I forget, they built a plant here and the quality suffered, until they were no better than any other battery.
Yuasas in my Honda 4s would last 2 seasons before crapping out. I bought a Westco sealed battery nearly 5 years ago and it's still good.   Over the winter it gets removed and stored in a closet in the house until spring. It's never needed charging over the off-season. When I hook it up in the spring, it has enough juice to spin the motor to life after hibernation time is over.  My Vision will get a Westco when it's finished and road-worthy.

fc
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

zore

Batteries have x amount of life and the manufacturer will generally tell you what the life expectancy is.  I don't go more than 5 years on a battery whether it's still good or not.  It's not worth pushing a bike for.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

jasonm.

It was the early 90's when the problem really showed up. There was a voluntary recall of ALL Harley batteries of a certain size. Which also was the same size as the Honda Gold Wing's battery.  Turns out Yuasa just decided to resell the batteries that were recalled. Honda I think bought a pile of them. The batteries would just internally "snap" when you hit the starter button. Thus an open circuit with no output. All caused by a bad "welding machine". I still have the article.  I stopped buying Yuasa that day. And still hear stories of Yuasa batteries they sell today doing the same thing.  I buy Taiwan batteries not Chinese batteries. I have also had great luck with Interstate batteries. But they are pricey. And I do not know who really makes them? Yes, that diode is for one way travel of Voltage. It's connected to the side stand relay and cut off relay to eliminate voltage spikes. But should they partially fail.You could be in a world of electrical problems that could take you for quite a ride. SOUND FAMILIAR.

Shop Rat

Quote from: jasonm. on October 27, 2008, 07:05:24 PM
It was the early 90's when the problem really showed up. There was a voluntary recall of ALL Harley batteries of a certain size. Which also was the same size as the Honda Gold Wing's battery.  Turns out Yuasa just decided to resell the batteries that were recalled. Honda I think bought a pile of them. The batteries would just internally "snap" when you hit the starter button. Thus an open circuit with no output. All caused by a bad "welding machine". I still have the article.  I stopped buying Yuasa that day. And still hear stories of Yuasa batteries they sell today doing the same thing.  I buy Taiwan batteries not Chinese batteries. I have also had great luck with Interstate batteries. But they are pricey. And I do not know who really makes them? Yes, that diode is for one way travel of Voltage. It's connected to the side stand relay and cut off relay to eliminate voltage spikes. But should they partially fail.You could be in a world of electrical problems that could take you for quite a ride. SOUND FAMILIAR.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression Interstate motorcycle batteries were made by Yuasa, in a USA factory.

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

h2olawyer

I don't know who makes the Interstate motorcycle batteries, but the sealed, maintenance free version I got lasted five years - living on the Battery Tender Jr.  Just before the last stator died, the Interstate stopped keeping a charge.  Five years for a motorcycle battery isn't bad - but the next one will be an AGM type instead of just the sealed type.  After having one of those in my truck for over 8 years, I have become a firm believer in the technology. 

H2O

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 28, 2008, 11:52:38 AM
Five years for a motorcycle battery isn't bad - but the next one will be an AGM type instead of just the sealed type.

So far I really like my AGM.  This morning it was 49 degrees and damp.  I rolled the throttle twice, hit the starter, and it was running in 1/2 second. 

Brian