Thinking of purchase..advice?

Started by Perus, April 07, 2008, 07:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perus

Hi ROV!

I'm new here and found the link to this fantastic ROV in an ad.
What ad you might wonder? yes, a ZX550 for sale here in Sweden - and it looks pretty OK to me :)

European model -1982, mileage apprx 30000 - suggested price $2500 USD

From what I've read in this forum there are a lot of things to consider but I'm not afraid, I've learnt my lesson from old cars and Chinese scooters :D
The owner had recently bought a Goldwing as a replacement to be able to bring his wife on tours.
He told me that he took a ride with the ZX550 yesterday and it runs like a charm.

What do you think of it?

Br,
Per

zore

If it runs, you're ahead of the game.  Good luck with it.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

joevacc

Looks Great.  Most of the issues you'll find here are mainly related to the fact that so many of these bikes have sat for 20 years.  Those of us who have had our bikes for long periods of time have had great luck with them.  If you have found a bike that is running you are ahead of the game!

When something wears out this is the place to read of other peoples experiences.  I am sure that every aspect of the bike has been talked about here.

Good luck if you decide to get it!  Definitely let us know what you decide.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Perus

Glad to hear, I'm going to convince my wife to pay a visit at the owners place tonight :)

Is it possible to determine if this is a -82 or -83 just by this photo?
(I have hope ;) )

dj

Can't see the picture from work, but here is the main differences from the 83 to 82 just by looking at them.

83's - full fairing (upper and lower parts)
         dual disc front brake

82's - sport fairing (upper only) or naked
         single disc front brake

Now, just because it might have dual front brake and a full fairing doesn't automatically make it an 83 as it might be an 82 with an 83 front end make over.

You would have to check the placard on the bike (below the stearing stem I believe) to see if it says 82 or 83.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

tben

With dual, non vented discs and a silver swingarm that looks like a European model '82.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Perus

OK, thanks for the information. I'm going to look at the bike tomorrow and really really hope there aren't any (big) surprises to be discovered.
The owner told me that the rear tyre only would be legal for one season more.
Too bad the weather won't allow me to ride it home (100miles) â€" if everything goes well.
In any case, I'm going to take some photos for sure :)

Maybe it's common courtesy to call a "V" for “her”? ;)

Update: It has this "Engine guard" mounted as well

Br,
Per

Rick G

The European bikes are the same from '82  to '85  They all have  silver swing arms and unvented dual disc brakes. The carbs are all the '82 pattern  and they all have the droopy , long rear fender. I believe that they  were available with or without the fairing.
That looks like a very nice, clean example  and its nicely equipped . Price seems high , but prices on a clean bike in Europe, may be higher than here, so I really can't say. keep us posted on you purchase.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Perus

OK, I visited the "V" today and found her completely irresistible - the sound from engine is beyond words ;D
The shape is better than I expected, I took some new photos and plan to post them later today.
Of course I found some small thing that needs to be fixed but nothing big...

I paid for her but the weather didn't allow me to ride her home :'(
Hopefully later this week ;)

Br,
Per

motorcyclezen

Per,

Beauty. I'd go for it. It's not just that these bikes are fun to ride and work on. It's really a piece of history and a classic. I've only had mine a couple of weeks and I love her.

Sounds like the owner really took good care of her.

Tires are minor, since the wheels are pretty easy to remove.

Have fun.

Ed--

P.S. Ever heard of a Bison Burger Svenska?

pullshocks

Helt dødsbra.  Gratulerer.

Hilsen,

Mark

Perus

To all, I'm so glad for your support :D

I got 24 new photos of her for you, just follow the WWW-link in my profile.

Two of them:

(more in my album)

Br,
Per

P.S. Still waiting for better weather D.S.

Lucky

Looks really nice!!  i worked a long time to get mine looking that good!

does your bike have what i understand is 'euro only', a headlight "flash to pass" button on the front of the turn signal switch?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Perus

Quote from: Lucky on April 09, 2008, 07:34:02 AM
Looks really nice!!  i worked a long time to get mine looking that good!

does your bike have what i understand is 'euro only', a headlight "flash to pass" button on the front of the turn signal switch?
Thanks Lucky :D

Is it possible to see the button here?

It hurts to know that the "V" still is 100miles from home :(

Br,
Per

Lucky

almost, it's on the lever side of the switch. you'd press it with your index finger. i'm not 100% sure it exists, i thought it was mentioned before.  i have a Euro right switch pod which has a switch to turn on the parking lights or headlights seperatly. i'd like to one day find the Euro left pod if it has that button (simply 'cause i can, lol)

Lucky

Perus

OK, I'm going to check that when I ride her home.

Br,
Per

QBS

Congradulations on your purchase. The bike looks very nice.  Welcome to the group.  Your bike appears to be a European '82 with all '83 painted pieces.  In the USA, '83s came with black chrome exhaust systems, black painted fork legs, black painted swing arms, drilled dual disc brakes, and fuel gauges.

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on April 09, 2008, 08:12:14 AM
i'm not 100% sure it exists

i'd like to, one day, find the Euro left pod if it has that button (simply 'cause i can, lol)

:) Oh yes, it does...I have one 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

:) Perus, hello and welcome to the ROV 8) You seem to have acquired a sweet wee Vision there my friend...Congratulation's 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!