News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Look! A new guy!

Started by ithinkitsbroke, April 25, 2007, 09:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ithinkitsbroke

Good morning!  It's a new guy from Ohio!  Anyways, my name's Mike, I just turned 26, and I just picked up a 1982 Yamaha XZ550 from a friend of mine for $100.  It needs quite a bit of work (obviously) and I'll most likely be using these forums for educating myself on the Vision XZ550.  I'll get some pictures of the bike up soon.  It's not running at the moment, but the previous owner just bought a new project (a good-sized boat) but he said that it shouldn't need too much work to get it running.  It only has about 7,000 miles on it, so hopefully there's a lot more life left!  It looks as though it has sat outside for a while, so that kinda' worries me, but all of the cables are going to need replaced and a few other replacements here and there.

I'm excited as this is my first bike that I'll have for a while.  I had a 1978 Kawasaki KZ750 about 10 years ago (that my dad gave me), but I didn't feel like going through the courses required for a minor to get the motorcycle endorsement.  I still regret it since it was a nice bike and I just ended up selling it for $700.  I'm pretty new when it comes to the mechanics of motorcycles, but I'm pretty decent with cars so hopefully some experiences with this bike will relate.

Okay, sorry for the long-winded post, but I just wanted to introduce myself since you guys will see me around quite a bit for the next few months.  Thanks!

Check out my internet radio station ~ 88.9 The Buzz - Your Rock Station!

don_vanecek

Welcome! If you have done things on a car such as changing a water pump, perhaps a head gasket, cleaning a carb-you should be able to handle fixing a Vision up. There have many several posts in the last month or two indicating what you need to do. For my two cents, I would want to see if the starter motor spins the engine and if adding a small amount of raw gas, see if it will run just for a second. If you get that far then I'd go the rest the way. I think you can pretty much assume the carbs will have to come apart.

Just speaking from my own experience after my bike sat for ten years (at least not in the open), your going to put many hours and several hundred dollars inter her-tires, stator and RR (perhaps you won't need those yet) cables, brakes?, battery. Can be a nice bike when you finish! Get Lucky's CD.

kiawrench

hi newbie!   your screen name is an understatement- if it is a vision, and it was parked, it is broke!
   now , this place is where you get it fixed. all you really need to know about fixing a bike is, humans built it, humans can fix it. we have more skilled advice dealers than any other bike forum, and 99.99999 percent of it will fix your bike. so , if you have a question,ask away- if you need parts, ask for those in the parts swap shop, and read,, this forum is
a real monster, but there is a lot of info to use her. use search engine, and take notes. get the vision cd from Lucky as soon as possible too!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tiger

8) Hi and welcome to THE site that is dedicated to the xz550 Vision. We have a good "Family" type of atmosphere here with a lot of very knowledgable people ready and willing to help you get your "V" up-and-running...Need help/assistance/part(s), etc, ...just ask ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ps2/bikevision

Welcome. there are a few vision owners in ohio, where abouts you from. im in northern indiana. were thinking of getting a ride together. if you dont have yours running we could always stop by and help out. beers, burgers, were not picky. ;D dont loose hope. YOU, can get it running. and WE can help.

Sable

Welcome! Much like a car, these motors are pretty much the same: fuel, compression and spark are what you need to get her going! And as others have written... any questions, just ask ;D

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

inanecathode

It's a new guy! Get 'em! I heard he has 83 carbs!
Welcome to the forum dude, you'll soon find out how helpful everyone here can be! Some observations about the vision:
Its not a parts monster, and outside upgrades and in reletively rare circumstances it won't chew through parts like a chrylser would.
It will not run if the carb is dirty, or otherwise un-perfect (automotive type downdraft carbs are great for cars imo, the jets and passages are too freakin small in a bike, anyway)
It will never be a collectors item (imo) magazines trashed it (wrongly) critics trashed it (wrongly/ignorantly), theres no need really to keep it 'numbers matching' so you might as well make it yours!
Just like any bike, the vision responds to a good thrashing. Give a week dedicated to thrashing on it, carbs, charging, electrical, lubrication, and it'll be lightyears better than it was!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ithinkitsbroke

Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys!  I'm excited to get my hands dirty soon and since the weather's finally starting to break, I'll be going out to start playing around with the bike.  I have quite a bit to learn about this monster, but yes, this site looks extremely helpful and I've already started reading some of the articles.  So many that my brain's a little mushy at the moment for taking in all the information.  :D

I'll get some pictures of the bike up in a few days so you can all cry over how it's been neglected the past few years and exchanging owners about 3 times.  I'm excited to get this project going, but it's going to take a while since I'm fairly strapped for cash since I just bought a house.  I'll set my goal to at least be able to take 'er around the block before it gets too cold to ride.

Thanks again, everyone!

Check out my internet radio station ~ 88.9 The Buzz - Your Rock Station!

packman85

Welcome and good luck.  The vision is a blast to ride and a great learner bike, at least it has been for me.  Hop eyou get her running without to much effort, shell treat you well.
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"