Wife's vision is finally done...'cept for tires

Started by kreinke, April 07, 2004, 06:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreinke

Last fall I bought a running..albeit stumbling, backfiring Vision with a gas tank that rained on the engine.  Over the winter I tinkered, stripped and brazed the tanks and coated it on the inside. Then it was off to the body shop for paint and clearcote.

I then replaced all of the vacuum and fuel lines and repaired the YICS chamber.

I'd like to thank the guys that set up the troubleshooting and the resouces available on this site and the links thereof.  The bike is shown here next to my Beemer and will be my wife's learner bike this summer.  

h2olawyer

Great looking pair of bikes! ?Congrats on getting the V running and looking good. ?Should be a great learner bike for your wife. ?My V was my first and only street bike and I found it very forgiving for me. ?It has enough low end to be useful while getting used to riding, yet has so much zip above 6,000 that it remains fun even after getting some riding experience. ?It even has enough power to be fun at over 10,000 feet!
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

No offense, but I'll take the Vision anyday, over the beemer. Your wife is getting the best of that deal . Congrats on a really nice job!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Simon

Looks very nice!

Not a bad idea to have the tank in color but the rest of the plastic in black.. looks a bit more classic.
XZ550 1982 + chopped XS1100 1982

Lucky

The preceding message was brought to you by Col. Klink's press secretary.... lol

Anyone actually remember Hogans Hero's? (or F-Troop for that matter, talk about "politicly incorrect!, lol)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

GA_Wolf

Man I love watching Hogan's Hero's.. I also liked F-Troop and McCale's Navy....let's see how many remember the old army show..."Combat" with Vic Morrow?  And SPEED Channel still shows "Speed Racer" on the weekend....LOL

kiawrench

OMG!!! ?

? ?uh,,, not
 ?ok as for tv shows,,, "car 54, where are you ? was a good one ,,,, chicken man was funny , as was "the green hornet "
 the OEM batman was always good for anti equality banter,,,
lets nor forget rawhide, lawrence welk , and my all time favorite sleeping aid,, the steve allen show on reruns (of all things )
 ?as for shorter stalks on the vision--- easy do-- just reduce what yamaha gave us-- i reduced my stalk length by half,,, does look better
 ?carefully remove and tweak yours for a cleaner line ?
 ?just take the lights off, seperate the stalks from the heads, most are just held on by clamping screw anyway, the reduce stalk with handy lil hacksaw. clean up the cut on the end with 120 grit sand paper . the next part takes a bit of time, gently reduce the stalk diameter at the stalk (i used bench grinder and a "rolling motion) until the stalk will go back into the signal head snugly . once both sides are even and snug in the heads, tighten screws back down and the re-install on the bike . it looks better with front ones cut 50 percent and rears just reduced by 1/3 . too much reduction in the back makes it look like lights are on the wrong bike , just ugly .
be carefull when grinding , better to reduce a narrow clamping point than have a huge chewed place in the stalks ,,,,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

As for me I liked  the old time movies  on Howdy Doody and Mickey Mouse Club, I had a "thing" for Annette Funichello  LOL  later, I watched Grape Ape and Dudly Do-right with my kids.
Kia, thanks for the tip on the  turn signals!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kiawrench

oh,, sorry, did forget, the vision does look sweet. hope it is as sound as it looks and remains that way .
 i, too, chose to paint only fender, tank ,(shark type fairing and saddlebags set) ,but i top coated all of the seat trim and lower trim in super gloss black.
 with the addition of custom logos and a simple graphic on the slab sides of saddle bags - it came out pretty decent
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

man, sounds like you painted that thing fast, took me half a season just to do my fairing, lol
where tdid you get the graphics?

kiawrench

i did mine with signmaster pro , a sign layout program, then had the decals plotter cut at a shop in the mall,,, i still havent found funding for a plotter/cutter .
   As for my painting time frame,, that was the easy part, i just used the body shop paint booth, ppg three step metal flake and with a bit of help , went from bare metal and yellow plastic parts to a ready to ride silver metalflake bike in just under 12 working hours .

Lucky

kiawrench

Lucky,

if i did that it would be more like my everyday job.
 but if you load everything up, send it down here,  can start sending them back, one per saturday until done
     uh custom graphics do come with slight surcharge, , you know sublet fees , materials, bribes, ,,,,,,,,,

Lucky

I'll trade you one of my kids...good boys, from strong eastern European stock... Vill plow fields good all day, lol

Silver_Bullet

Let's see....mature ;D adult willing to trade child to have Vision painted/customized....How could we ever have believed you'd trade Vision for Harley!  Such dedication.....such.....such.....well, words just fail me!

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

Lucky

Quotemature ;D adult willing to trade child to have Vision painted/customized

You don't know my kids very well do you? lol

kiawrench

?fast tip for you guys,,, check your local car dealership body shops,,, lot of those guys are really feeling economy slide right now , most shops have a fellow or three that is doing side work. this will help you on getting bikes painted ,,and put some change into thier coffers too.
 ?a realistic price for a fender, tank, two side covers and set of hard saddle bags would be about 100.00 labor ,plus paint and supllies... so about 160.00 per bike . that is for the good stuff.
 ? i would think that if you sanded, prepped and taped it off first, they could final sand ,prime/-/seal and shoot bike for about 100.00 . still a deal . stay away from regular paint shops ,,, they will twist your wallet.