News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Valve tool

Started by Lucky, December 11, 2002, 03:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I have been trying, unsucsessfully, to find a replacement valve adjusting tool. Kent Moore has sold that division to K & L Supply, who aparently hasn't gotten that stuff straightened out.

the closest i've been able to get is an email from K & L stating that the only one they have that they think will work is made for a Seca II, anyone know if it is the same tool?  they sait it goes for $37, but because they were unsure if it would work, that I could have it for $20...

The only other idea I have would be to have one of you guys who has one take exact measurements and drawings, and email it to me, and I could try to have it made.

any ideas guys?
Thanks! --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

George R. Young

As a frugal alternative, pop the cams off, you're in there already.

The cam sprockets and chains can be removed as a unit, suggest a 6 point socket for the bolt.

Lucky

That will be my last ditch resort...
what a pain to have to reset the tensioners and all....plus I have 2 bikes to do...

Dave T.

I think the valve depressor tool wouldn't help that much anyway. I have'nt tried it, so I can't say for sure.

If you do end up taking off the cams, I suggest you get a scratch awl or a o-ring picker to get the shims off the buckets. I just set the cams on the new shims and put finger pressure on the cam and check clearance (at TDC of course). Worked fine for me. The tensioner thing is a pain though. I have never seen the tool before, only in pictures.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Lucky

Hey, DT, would you let your girlfriend put finger pressure on my cams...
OUCH! (sorry honey!)
never mind...

;D

Dave T.

Hey Lucky,

I will ask at www.sportwheel.com tomorrow and see if they have a valve bucket depressor tool. If they have one I'll let you know what they want for it.

I wish she was my girlfriend. I just put that there just  because I could (thanks to the internet!). To see more of that stuff, check out www.tcuncovered.com.

Later!
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Chris Monell

I have one of the original tools for depressing the valve buckets and may still have a couple of shims. I sold my Vision long ago but being a mechanic keep all tools. Will sell it for $30 and won't even charge shipping, by the way it works great from my recollection. I only owned the bike for about 2 yrs. but enjoyed it except when it suddenly started swaying side to side at around 120 mph (on speedo anyway) and scared the crap out of me. Also would loose power suddenly and after a few minutes rest run fine, never figured it out, maybe fuel strainer? Anyway, I bought an 87 VFR700F2 in 88 and love it, just got a Hayabusa to keep VFR company, all I can say is "OH MY GOD". If interested call 904 726-5656 after 12/14 so I can locate it in my old tool box. Sorry e-mail account/IP screwed up right now, sending from work but can't receive.

Lucky

ok, i'll give you a ring Sun, where are you located? (so I don't call too early or too late)
--Lucky

Cdnlouie

;D   Hey, don't forget I am looking for that valve adjuster tool as well.

I already did my rear cylinder this fall but my methods do not bring me happy thoughts.  I just don't like the idea either of resetting the cam tensioners unless I really need to.  How about doing a tool exchange if there is only one left in North America?

One guy at a shop nearby mentioned to me that he used a Kawaski valve adjuster, but I am not certain he was familiar or not with the Vision.  Need to do some more research, but still looking.

Louie

jasonm.

To whom it may concern. The Yamaha Ventue/Vmax tool is an adaptable alterative. This tool is still available. Just needs to be machined a bit to fit exactly. Part#YM33961. I can give specs or email pics of the differences.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Chris Monell

;)
 Hey Louie, if this is the only one in N.A. maybe I could ask $300 for it instead of $30?

Just kidding Lucky, I'm not that kind of guy. I figure it is better for you guys in the Vision "loop" to have the tool than for it to sit in my tool box getting dusty. I'll let you guys work out the loaner/rental program but I would suggest a hefty deposit before you loan it to ANYONE, even if you live close enough to go and beat them over the head if they loose it. I have brothers that "borrow" tools, I stopped loaning them anything and now tell them I might as well throw it away and it would be the same as loaning it to them. Actually when they ask now I tell them I lost the tool they want. I did have 3 shims (don't have the sizes handy) and will part with them for $10 ea. since that is about what Yamaha charged me back in 85-86. Remember when you put in shims to put the number markings down so the cam doesn't erase them for you.
I'm in Jacksonville FL. (EST) if you want to call just make it before 10 pm (EST), my wife goes to bed early, I get home by around 8 pm on the nights I mess around at the shop.

FYI for anyone else looking for the tool and unfamiliar with it, it fits over the hex section of the camshaft and you roll it under by turning the engine over (by hand) and it depresses the buckets by catching the edge so you can remove the shim. It just looks like a hook with about 3 flats of the inside of a 6 point wrench with a pair of cut out edges that form a ramp with a divider that fits between the valve buckets so the ramps can depress the buckets without touching the shims. I think you could grind one out of the correct size wrench (suggest Craftsman or some fairly cheap brand in case it takes more than one attempt) with a dremmal for the finer part of the ramp if you had an original as a template. Maybe Lucky could sell drawings to follow to recoup his investment.

Dave T.

Hey Lucky,

If you need to change shims, make sure you check every dealer and see if they will trade you even up for your old shims. The first dealer I went to had them, but wanted $10 each for them WITH trade. The second dealer I went to traded me even up for NEW shims. Try asking dealer service shops if you can USE the tool for a while. Some are cool enough and will let you. Some are @#@$($&*.....

I have about 6 shims from 2.60 to 2.25. If you want to trade any, let me know (for free, postage extra).

Cdnlouie

Hey my local Yamaha dealer quoted me about $6 Cdn.  That's only $4 U.S.  I have not ordered any yet, but maybe this stuff is old stock and they have not jacked the prices on it.  I ran into the same deal D.T. did.  The mechanics tend to make a little pocket change on swapping shims.  The guy wanted $6 and the old shim.  I told him I would order a new one instead and he backed down.

You Gotta love free enterprise!

mh

I got a valve tool with my bike.  I assume it's the right one.  It's in the San Francisco bay area (Peninsula/Silicon Valley) if anyone wants to borrow it.  All I ask for is a generous deposit to gurantee that I get it back or help & garage space doing an adjustment (not that I'll get to it any time soon).

I've even got new valve cover gaskets that I didn't get around to installing which I'll sell for cost (whatever that was).

Lucky, let me know if you still need the dimensions of the tool and I'll try to remember to measure it.

-mark

Chris Monell

Lucky, still waiting to hear from you, I should be home most of the day tomorrow (Sat.) getting the house ready for family to come over, call any time after 10 am (EST) if you still want the tool.

For anyone wanting to manufacture one, I measured the (wrench size) inside of the tool at the flats like you would on a 6 point box end wrench and it is a 7/8" or 22mm, and it uses 3 of flats and half of the fourth. I haven't had time to carefully measure all of the dimensions, I'll have to post that later. I'll try to compare it to a wrench and see if there is enough meat on it to grind the tool out of it and I'll post the dimensions a well as I can.