Isle of Man Vision returns to the US

Started by artbone, October 02, 2011, 06:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

Quote from: AdvRich on April 12, 2012, 07:21:07 PM
Nice looking Vee and bit of history Artbone. It's actually pretty good looking compared to some I've seen that have been stored away. Besides, the finish will pass for a well earned "patina" at Barber's.

Actually, it hasn't been stored away all that much. I've used it a week or two every year (and sometimes more) since '94 when I sent it to the IOM until 2 years ago when I had the starter problems. I rode it all over the British Isles and one year took it across France, part of Germany, and across Switzerland down to Italy and back. It's earned it's "patina."

I'm really amazed at how dependable the old bike has been. I've replaced the stator (of course) and had the starter clutch bolts come a loose, and put in fork seals and steering head bears but that's about it for general repair.

It's like my VStrom. It's got 2 recurring problems. I have to keep putting gas in it and tires on it.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

supervision

Hey Art, have you coated your Norton tanks?  Damn Gasohol,eats them. Do you have gasohol in Mexico?   
" border="0

AdvRich

It certainly has earned its patina Art and that's also one of the best ride history's I've heard for a Vee too. Love to do some touring in that region of the planet myself some coming year. Truly, it's more than a bike coming back from the IOM; it's a history of ride experiences that makes the connection with the bike all the stronger.  8)

:D Best two problems to have on a bike for sure.

artbone

Quote from: supervision on April 18, 2012, 06:26:41 PM
  Hey Art, have you coated your Norton tanks?  Damn Gasohol,eats them. Do you have gasohol in Mexico?   
Both my Nortons have been coated. I had a weird problem one year at a Norton Rally in Ohio. I have a single Mikuni and the throttle started sticking open. I had removed the kill switch and the key is under the tank on the left side of the bike. It was a very exciting operation, roaring through traffic wide open, and trying to reach under there and turn off the switch.

Turns out what was happening was the fuel tank was desolving from the ethanol and the resulting sludge was coating the carb slide and making it stick. Took a while to figure that one out on the side of the road.

My IOM bike has quite a bit of rust on the outside of the tank but the inside looks fine. However, I think when I have it painted I'll Caswell the tank just to be safe.

And to answer your question, No, we don't have gasohol in MX for which I'm grateful. I think the reason is that: 1. Mexico is an oil exporting country and oil is a big part of their economy and 2. They got tortillas to make out of all that corn.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

I have to agree that corn is better used to make tortillas than to make fuel.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!