News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

POLL: What year XZ550 do you have?

Started by RedBaron, December 15, 2011, 11:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year XZ550 do you have?

33 (68.8%)
8 (16.7%)
Both 82 and 83, I cannot choose, OMG I always had a hard time making decisions, it's so true!
7 (14.6%)
other (Our Euro and other friends who live where they sold them for several more years, the lucky stiffs)
0 (0%)
Who cares? I'm an XZ400 driver, yeah baby!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

RedBaron

I think I am obsessing over polls. Perhaps I should get back to work on the Baron now...
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!

Tiger

:) 'The Mistress' is an '82 Hybrid!! An '82 with an '83 full fairing, '83 gauge package, '83 handle bar risers, '83 front brake master cylinder, front forks/progressive springs/twin calipers/rotors, American '83 Gold wheels, '83 mono shock, '83 front rear sets/brake pedal/gear shift set up, Gloss Black rear light cover ... :-\ ...Oh yer, she also has a 'new' '83 motor fitted which has less than 2,000 original miles on it!!!

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

VFan

Quote from: Tiger on December 16, 2011, 07:37:17 AM
'83 front rear sets/brake pedal/gear shift set up

so I guess that means that the '82 / '83 frames are identical?

Tiger

:)...as far as I'm aware, they are ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

RedBaron

This is interesting. This early scientific poll indication, ah, indicates something I did not expect. Namely, Nobel Peace Prize winner (anyone remember exactly what he did to win that?) President Obama is not being credited with pulling the troops out of Iraq (welcome back home guys and gals, we missed you!) by Christmas because it seems President Bush actually set the timetable in his second term and Obama has publically stated he is simply following Bush's previous decision, ah, orders.

Even more interesting, the poll also indicates the 82's are more prevalent against the 83 when you might expect the later and more modern version, the 83 tour faring equipped sport racing bike (with, some say in the mainstream press, strangely black pipes) to be more numerous because, well, because it is newer and some in the mainstream press suggest it is better, just as they do say about Obama when comparing him to the previous model.

Merry Christmas from the Baron and me!

Re-Vision

He's gonna need them in Iran.     BDC

spectre

Hmm... it's getting kina tense in here,  ::) so, on topic, mine's a true blue '82!
:police:
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

fret not

Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

YellowJacket!

I'm in the 82/83 Hybrid Club.  Heart of an 82, legs of an 83.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rikugun

Mine has some '83 parts. It has some aftermarket parts as well as some home-built, custom pieces. It even has some parts from other Japanese makes. It seems few bikes are 100% original.

Mine rolled off Yamaha's assembly line as an '82.  The state looked at the title and decided it's an '82 and registered it as such. The insurance company examined the VIN and declared it to be an '82. I consider it an '82 because it is.  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

RedBaron

Hmmmm...my VIN sticker says the manufacture month is December of 81 (with modified carb and air box) so it's for sure an 82 true blue.

RedBaron

Wow, I am amazed at how rare the 83 seems to be.

Kenny

3  X  83. ;D
                 Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

lexx790

Brian Moffet

I have an original 83. I am the original owner, it had 10 miles on it when I bought it from the Yamaha dealer.

I'll sell it for what the parts seem to be worth  ;D

fret not

Brian, what would you replace it with, or do you already have a replacement?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Brian Moffet

Don't have a clue at the moment.  It's been my only motorcycle since I bought it in 1986.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RedBaron

Quote from: Brian Moffet on December 21, 2011, 12:19:11 AM
Don't have a clue at the moment.  It's been my only motorcycle since I bought it in 1986.

If I may make a recommendation, a MOTO GUZZI 750 Classic fits the bill for a great 750 twin that is light and still very unusual to turn heads and is reported to be smooth and reliable.

Red

Brian Moffet

To make things clear, I am not in the market to sell my bike.  Unless someone makes me an offer that is pretty much outrageous, then I might consider it.  I like my bike, but I'm not stupid  ;D