ill fitting oil filter

Started by Buffo, May 06, 2005, 03:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

As the ROV regulars know i just got my first vision about 3 weeks  ago and have most likely annoyed everyone with my nonstop questions. Well thanks to all of the info, parts and advice i have recieved from the ROV my bike is days away from life.
in getting everything tip top i went to replace my oil filter to find that it didnt seem to fit quite right. it appears to be about a quarter of an inch too long. i bought 3 oil filters. 1 fram part # 30-604, one hifiltro part # 30-3886 and oneemgo black part # 30-1394. From the Dennis Kirk catalog. All of them have an o-ring on the one side and a rubber spacer(?) on the side that goes against the oil filter cover. the fram oil filter is about a quarter inch longer than the others. The filter not the rubber spacer. the others fit snugly but the fram is just so long that i fear i would crack the filter cover or pull the threads out torqueing it down. it might fit if i removed the rubber spacer but it has 4 holes in on the back of it and with out the spacer it would allow unfiltered oil out thru these holes.

did i get a bad Fram filter?

DK refunded my money so no loss but since i have never had any experience with oil changes on this bike i wanted to get the staight poop from you guys.

Buffo

Superfly

I have heard the other brands do not fit right, but I always go to the dealer for the oil filter.  
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Buffo -

There's been some debate about Fram filters here in the past.  Many folks have experienced exactly the same problem as you encountered.  I've never tried one on the V.  Tend to just use the Yamaha filters.  Price isn't all that different & they fit.  I've used emgo in the past as well with good results.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Buffo

well i read all the old posts that had "fram" in them and got the poop.

i wonder if they (fram) said "Hell, it may be a little to big but they will never notice. After all they cant have any common sence..they bought a vision."

Don

jasonm.

The frams I have used are up to 2-3mm too long. When compared to the OEM ...OEM I recommend. 1/4" diff. is way big. Yes, you could crack the cover or crush the filter. I have crushed the Frams. Nothing cracked yet.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules