News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

83 upgrades

Started by thekid, May 04, 2005, 08:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekid

Can anyone list for me the differences between the 82 and 83 bikes? I've run out of things to fix on my Vision (for the time being anyway!) and would like to do a conversion on it. also , a parts list for the dual disc brake conversion would be great. and, I think I heard someone say that I could fit a 120 rear tire on her, is that as big as I can go? thanks all, the kid.
Ride It Like You Stole It!

Lucky

different on 83
fuel tank: sending unit, petcock.
carbs: different inside & out, different fuel pump, matches petcock.
Guages: fuel meter & speedometer
Risers: shorter
ft forks: air caps & progressive style springs
Fairing: upper, lowers with vents, windshield, oil filler extention, dashboard, extention wire harness. relocates turnsignals & headlight slightly. reflectors on rad shroud moved to fairing. 4 piece frame (including lowers, fairing mounted mirrors.
Ft brakes: different master cylinder, smaller diameter rotors (so tubes are different) plus duals of course.
Rear shock: added dampening (82 shock is a pogo stick by comparison)
rearset pegs, extended shifter linkage & brake pedal.
top of tail section smoothed out.
stock exhaust has narrower I.D. head pipes.
color scheme: black with gold accents (rims, pinstripe, etc)
engine: different crankshaft, lower compression rings, reportedly different cams, but not shown in parts fiche.

i think that's everything...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

TIRES:
A 120 will "fit" but it is NOT CORRECT!
a 110 is the widest tire that can be properly mounted on the narrow vision rims.  When a 120 is mounted on the v's rim the contour of the tire changes, thus the contact patch shape is altered, and thus traction suffers.  Plus, the tire will be taller and narower in profile due to the sides being pushed in, thus less strait line traction.

go with 100/90/18 front 110/90/18 rear No exception!
Avon Super Venom's seem to be the favorite, though I will most likely go with pirelli sport demon's
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Superfly

Does anyone know if the Seca Turbo Rims are any larger?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

if i remember right (memory's fading fast!) they are shorter & a little narrower & need shimming to fit, but the axel dia is the same.  if i remember right...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black