News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Custom one off parts..(triple tree done)

Started by Blake, April 13, 2005, 07:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Blake I milled the dot info. on the top of the brake reservoir and left the raised yamaha and polished it out. Looks much cleaner. I also made stubby turn signal stalks and pitched the giraffe stalks. Just a couple of ideas.  8) kevin

Lucky

just a thought on the shorter t/s.. I was thinking of replacing mine with teardrop running-t/s's directly on the fairing, & got to thinking about how much visibility i'd be losing. it would have been fairly signifigant, & left them stock because i'd rather be seen.  i'm eventually going to change the sockets so it'll accept 1157's

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Glyn Pickering

I'd really like a drawing of an oil filter adaptor plate. Could it me made up on my good old sold Southbend lathe? No matter - I can always get it made up locally. Would be interested in a pre made one from your friend also at reasonable $$.  I'm on pickteam@xtra.co.nz

Regards

Glyn

veloce430

Blake & EH

I sent you guys an e-mail with the drawings.  Let me know if you received them ok.

Stu

Lucky

I'm working on the basic design of the adapter plate for blake. I'm taking a casting of the filter housing & will make a prototype out of epoxy or plaster or something for him, along with an engine cover & filter housing.  give me so little time on this one.

the way the adapter plate will be designed, it'll sandwich between the filter & the engine cover. the filter will fo on top, and the cover over that. longer bolts will be used to hold it all together, it'll seal with standard o-rings. it will be tapped to accept standard 3/8 fittings.

So i'll throw our a question at this point: i've never done this before so i'm winging it.  I've made a "negative copy" of the area the filter sits in in the cover, out of wax.  I was thinking of filling it with plaster or some type of thin epoxy/resin. what do you reccomend i use?

--Lucky

Glyn Pickering

Lucky, since you've gone to the bother of doing this, you'll want something to pick up as much definition as possible.
I would recommend proper plaster from a modelling shop. Be careful that it won't expand on curing and it does't get too hot to melt the wax. You could get any type of plaster filler from the hardware but won't be as fgood as modelling grade. May be OK for this job however.

Great sounding project.

Regards
Glyn

Blake

Hey Glyn (and Lucky),

the mold lucky is making dosnt have to be dead on exact because i simply wanted something to get an idea of what he was thinking of (but the more i hear about it the more i understand what hes saying).  Also, the drawings i give a machine shop WILL have to be dead on, and i have worries about taking measurements off of a mold that can expand and contract and could possible throw off the measurements (dont want that to happen when your dealing with oil pressure).  But i will take measurements off of whatever lucky gives me for a general idea, but ultimately will be taking them off of the engine to make sure its as exact as i can get it (+-.005").  The hardest part is that im at school right now till the middle of May so i cant measure anything exact (wont take apart my engine here, and spare engine is at home, but im taking that apart this summer so i can measure it then).

But Lucky,  

I have a requst for you.  Im pretty sure i know exactly what your talking about now (billet piece of aluminum fit into the oil filter cavity with holes for oil inlet from engine, and oil out from filter, and then and outlet and inlet on the piece thats maybe 1" or so protruding from the engine.  and joints sealed with o-rings)  :)  told you i was a visual person.  But before you start on your mold let me do a quick drawing for you and ill post the picture to see if thats what you mean.

But the actual request part. (doesnt have to be just lucky, if anyone has a set of dialcalpers and a good quality ruler lying around you can help.    I just need good measurements so i can make a mockup, and can modify them later to specs.      If you could give me some measurements (as accurate as you can get.. doesnt have to be dead on, just so i can have a pretty good idea of the size.  but what i need is the following things:

Diameter of oil filter cavety
Depth of oil filter cavety

diameter of hole for oil inlet
     Height from base of cavety of inlet hole
diameter of hole for oil outlet (base of filter) (i assume its centered)
   also if theres any other groove around the hole, those
   diameters and depths (need to know to mat up to it, and also
    to  reproduce it for oil filter)

also..some things so it can be mounted:
a measurement of center to center from the three bolt holes (just need to measure 1 set, not all 3)
diameter of the bolt holes
a measurement from the center of a bolt hole to the inner edge of the oil filter cavety

And finally.. stuff from the actual oil filter cover:

Overrall height
inside depth
inside diameter
outside diameter
height of mounting surface (thickness of metal where bolt holes are)

And also what would help me out a lot to make it more accurate:
ID of O-ring groove
OD of O-ring Groove
Depth of O-ring Groove
Actual thickness of O-ring, and height (theyre usually different)

I think from those measurements (seems like a lot, i know, but this is just to get a basic drawing made up that will be somewhat close so i can show you all in 3d)  but from thse i think i can give you all a pretty good picture, then show you what i can do, and have suggstions as to what you would like to  see (look better, work better, etc)

Depending on the diameter of the hose to be used, i think it could realistically be made to move out the filter housing about 1" and that would be it. :)  who knows.. maybe have "XZ550" or "riders of Vision" or something else engraved around it. :)

the skys the limit with computer programs :)  remember.. i actually do this stuff for fun!

thanks for the help everyone,

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

Blake, send me your Ph #, I have a side case & cover here at my desk, & a micrometer. it'll be easier to jest give it to you over the phone.  i'm planing on sending you the case as well as the mold.
luckyvision@hotmail.com
--Lucky

ctune

If you are making an oil cooler adaptor plate it probably wouldn't be too difficult to have it accept a spin on oil filter like what is used on so many modern bikes. My GTS 1000 which is basically an FZR motor  has one and it is common to many Honda and Suzuki's as well. The advantage would be no more buying exclusively from the dealership at $7 and up. I get my filters at WalMart for 3 bucks, less mess too. I'll buy one if it takes a spin on!
Mark

Lucky

Blake

Hey lucky,

thanks for the drawings..  i didnt think about the 180 the oil passage would have to do..  guess it didnt quite dawn on me.  maybe a spin on filter WOULD be best?  also.. ill look through my harley davidson catalogs, maybe theres a cheap inline oilfilter adaptor that can be used (they also have the slipon oil cooler covers for the filters, that are also magnetic to trap metal shards.

anyway.   quick sketch of the filter cover.  i dont have any dimensions for anything so i just winged it.  maybe about half hour work for this (relaxed pace)

More to come later.  I'll take a look at the base for the inline harley coolers and see if i cant replicate something like it to replace the filter cover housing.  hit two birds with one stone

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

WOW! makes the drawings i sent you look like i did them with a crayon held between my toes..

Blake

haha.  thanks.. its been a few months since ive used this program but its slowly coming back.

but did a quick search for some harley oil filter adaptors:

"Includes mounting bracket.
Prolongs engine life. Increases oil capacity. Keep oil cleaner longer. Keeps oil cooler. Deep chrome finish enhances appearance. This unique oil filtering system features a check valve & pressure valve which prevents any restriction in oil flow. Kit comes complete with mounting plate, filter, all hoses, clamps & hardware for easy installation."   That one is 31.95.  the base plate seems like itd be good for mounting on the vision

"Oil filter kit with OEM type filter mount. Designed for use with rubber hose in place of metal tube and fittings. Push-on fittings and filter included."  this one is also 31.95

"Billet aluminum mount designed to locate both the oil filter and regulator off the front lower motor mount. Includes mounting hardware. Does not include oil filter. U.S.A. Made."  this one is 64.95 but also gives you the ability to move the voltage regulator up front for maximum cooling : )

and this last one is 23.95..  didnt have a description.  in the paper catlog i have "inclues chrome filter mount, three allen screws and washers and o-rings.

just some options.

Blake

Blake

OH LUCKY!!

another idea!

oil pressure tap hole that could hold a small oil pressure gauge (1-1/2") and could be mounted close to the plate and would face the rider :)

just saw them in the catalog :)   this will be quite an eventful summer for me (custom parts, changing some on my bike, and going to attempt a port job on the spare engine and test it out.  (use jb weld reduce inlet port size by 30% at choke point to increase mixture speed..)  so we'll see how it all goes.  at least ill have something to keep me busy at home :)

Blake

Superfly

What is the difference between the spin-on filter, and the stock filter we are running now?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Extent

Well to replace the filter now you've got to take the filter housing off to get to it. a spin on filter would be just like a car, just twist off the filter to remove it.  I certainly wouldn't mind it for slightly speedier oilchanges.

Blake defenatly keep us posted on your velocity port job, see if you can get that sucker dynoed before and after, I'ld be very interested in seeing how well it responds to it.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Blake

Extent.  I definately AM going to get it dynoed.  im going to throw everything back to stock (airbox, exhaust, jetting) and take one, then put all my mods on.

but check out my other post (big update one)..  :)

Thanks,

Blake

jasonm.

There is a guy who makes an oil filter relocation kit for the 1100 V-Star. He has a quality unit. It does what Lucky's coooler does. But just puts the filter where it can be changed in minutes. Stock VStar needs the exhaust removed...what were they thinking. An adapter like Brado's could be used for the Vision oil cooler.I will try to post the site here for Brado's filter kit. I did contact the guy. His adapter will not fit our engine. But if someone could make one. It's just a cylinder to fit where the filter sits, with 2 o-rings and 2 fittings.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Superfly

If we have a Christmas wish going on here, how about a set of euro-gears?  That would rock!  8)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Blake

HAHA..

I was actually thinking about that superfly.  I have my set, but not sure how that would work.. maybe just have someone cut out some gears and have it riveted to a clutch basket?

haha..  Since i have that off the bike now and with me, ill take a look at it. :)

merry christmas to all..   ;D

Blake