News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Gustaufsson didn't fit and more crappy paint.

Started by Rick G, March 28, 2009, 01:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I've rambled on about spray can paint before , but I'm really bummed out. I used epoxy paint and its "sort of" gas resistant. I wanted to paint my  fairing so I could install my new wind shield.  it looks ok from five or six feet , but the closer you get the worse it looks. To top it off the wind kept screwing with my paint job. (it always blows here) This paint has no hardener  in it and although dry (painted 1 week ago , is soft and gummy. I thought I could get away with spray can paint on the fairing!
I purchased the lexan drill bit and new nylon screws . All went well on the practice holes in the piece of scrap they included  and on the first two holes in the windshield . But the third hole , clutch side top hole, caused to shield to crack a small piece off. I did the rest of them with my dremel using a small diamond tipped  cutter . It worked perfectly .
The main problem was that the fit was horrible.  I contemplated calling  Gusftaufsson , but I wanted to get it put together. I ended up trimming it and it came out OK . I'm going to find a source of lexan some when with in 100 miles and try to make  one myself!  Wish me luck.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

rick,
i have had pretty good luck with acrylic enamel and laquer paint in spray cans.   The enamel recommends a 10 day dry time.
the tough part is to spray to gloss and not let it run...  I just did my beemr frame and it looks good.  I do think I will complete with
clear coat to get the gloss even.  sorry to hear about the shield issue.
akvision
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Rick G

I have used spray can laquer for decades , but the only source for spray can laquer here, is at ACE hardware . Their house brand is available in black, white, and clear.  However the nozzle is very poor and the clear turns orange in a few months. I've tried acrylic enamel and wasn't impressed with it either.
What I wouldn't give for a case of Schwinn candy apple blue and a case of the silver under coat! Schwinn quit selling their paint in the '80's
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

rick,

try the local NAPA Auto Supply

works for me in Ketchikan

AKv
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

GT @ oh.

That sucks ...... Guess I'll try making my own screen as well.   Might try a auto paint store... the one hear can make up any type or color.... in the can.

Rick G

The local Napa has only duplicolor, and the house brand, all of which are worthless. The local Ace hardware has a machine to fill spray cans , now the question is , can they add a dash of hardner to the mix?
Some one suggested, a while back, that  a marine shop may be able to make a wind shield , so I'll look into that.
Rick G

inanecathode

Wind shield is easy peasy lemon squeasy. Just have to make a mold for the plastic to droop over thats the right shape, then lay a piece of plexiglass ontop of the mold, then heat it up till it flops down over the mold shape. Dont even have to vacuum form the vision shield its a pretty simple curve.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

vadasz1

I just bolted mine straight onto the fairing with no molding required.  Take a look at my post "This is going to be one cool ride" for the link to my album.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

GT @ oh.

Do you cut/layout the outline first ....or while its hot and draped or...?

vadasz1

I actually made a template from 1/8" plywood.  Then traced that onto the Lexan.  Then cut with Jigsaw and sanded it after.  Next time I will make a thicker template and just use some masking tape to hold the Lexan to the tmplate, then use a router to make the shape.  This way I don't need to do any sanding.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.