Removing Graphic Decal from a sport fairing

Started by VisionaryDan, July 31, 2006, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionaryDan

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the graphic decals fron the sport fairing. I have a few ideas but I would like to get them off without ruinening the original finish on the fairing. Heat gun, or Goo-be-gone come to mind but I don't want to damage the fairing trying to remove the decals

Dan

h2olawyer

I removed the vinyl decals from the full fairing using both a heat gun & goo gone.  Didn't hurt the black finish at all.  The decals were not salvageable, though.  They stretched & ripped pretty bad.  Still, working slowly & carefully, they came off fine & the goo gone removed all traces of adhesive.  Took me a couple hours to get them all off & cleaned.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Dan, Go to a good automotive paint supplier......they should be able to supply you with a "decal remover"....It's about 4 to 41/2" Dia', 1/2" wide, is caramel in colour (and smell), wheel with an arbor....It's basically an eraser....It fits into the chuck of your drill. Start the drill and run the wheel over the decal and...... byebye decal.....it's that easy, no fuss & no mess... 8)

8)       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

tattooedtaz69

Only problem with the wheel on a drill is if you get it too hot it will peel up the paint and eat in to the plastic. If you use it keep it slow and cool. We tried it on some wheel opening moldings on a rubber bumper for a car at our body shop and it peeled paint and dug holes. My advise heat gun and the go cleaner. But I tend to be more impatient is maybe why I have trouble with the wheel. Just my 2 cents

67GTO

I used a hair dryer and then paint thinner to remove the goo.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV