News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

all-in-one printers

Started by Lucky, November 11, 2007, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

my MFP printer died, i go thru these things like H2O goes thru stators...

I prefer an MPF, all in one print/scan/copy/fax with network connectivity.

what are your reccomendations good & bad?
any POSITIVE warrenty service experiences?

i've gone thru a Brother, Lexmark & now an HP (which i REALLY liked...sigh)

i'd like to keep it under $350-$300...Tops

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

I despise all in ones.  One thing breaks, all things break and you are out a bunch of money.  They always go through ink much faster too.
I have had very good luck with epson printers.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

oh yeah, i forgot about the Epson laser i had, it was great, but i want color & that's so far behind in price.....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

My first non dot printer was a black and white Cannon , it lasted from 1995 to 2003, it was still working fine , but I wanted colour. I bought a Lexmark , a singular piece of crap, it lasted until 2004. I then bought a used (from a thrift store ,10.00) Hp 694c desk jet . Its a trifle noisy but is a real work horse. The  all in ones are too expensive for me , and like Dave said, when one feature craps out , you have nothing!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Lucky, I don't have epson lasers.  Mine are inkjets.  I get my ink cartridges from abcink.com for about 3.00 each too.

David

YellowJacket!

Night Vision

I like all in ones..... otherwise I'd need a separate printer, scanner, copier (I don't use the faxxer)....

Yah, they use ink.... but at least you don't have to buy ink for a printer AND a copier.... mine even downloads photos from the camera card... ask me how I know  ;)

it's one of those Dell AIO that come as a $99 option package deal... not so bad, and I've only had to change the stator once so far!  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Gremlins are known to breed in AIO's faster than in a garage with two or more Visions.  :o

David

Sable

Lucky,

I have had great luck with my Lexmark X7350... but it is pretty old now and probably obsolete. If I had to replace it, I would get another Lexmark, I just saw one that had built-in WiFi and this would be the best option for me! Just my $ .02.

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Tanno

I have a Canon MP830 that I have had for about 1 year now. Absolutely no issues with. It's Copy/Fax/Scan/Printer/Memory Card. Almost an all-in-one. It doesn't make my coffee.   ::)
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Tanno

www.officedepot.com = Canon Pixmaâ,,¢ MP830 Color All-In-One (Item # 471602) $249.99. There's also a $30 rebate until 12/31/07.

www.newegg.com = $219.99 w/ free 3-day shipping.

"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

kwells

hmmm I was reading something about the new Kodak printers that use less ink than all the other ink gobblers.  Will try to pull up some more detailed info and post it.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ColinthePilot

I have an HPSC 1350 All in one. I've had it for 5 years and 3 moves and it still works like a champ. I even let my roommate in college photocopy a few hundred pages on it in exchange for full ink cartridges when he finished with the project. Still rollin. For the personal use I use it for, printing/copying about 10 pages a week, its great. It also has 4 slots for various media cards so no cables for my digital camera.
I also notice my printers last about twice as long as my parents' stuff. Same with my computer. I think limited users (i.e. one) can greatly extend the life of these things.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

kwells

I have an HP PhotoSmart 7760 which prints pretty good...had an issue with an ink cartridge malfunction.  Will also do pretty good pics when done on the photo paper.  The problem is it DOES use alot of ink.  That is why I was interested in the new line out by Kodak.
They claim it uses 50% less ink as other inkjet printers, as well as, cheaper ink cartridges when they do need to be replaced.  This is a huge plus for me since it seems as though the consumables(ink) is really all that most companies are interested in selling. 
Here's a link for the entry level description:
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/1441/10580/10590&pq-locale=en_US
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

The cost savings would make it worth tryin', not far off the cost of a regular printer and the cartridges are definitely less.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

I'm relatively easy on printers.  Don't have a multi-function.  Current printer is an old HP962.  Uses a fair amount of ink & is slow, but never fails.  (knocking on wood)  I got this printer several years ago when I went out for ink cartridges for a Canon I had.  The printer with ink carts was cheaper than the Canon ink!  Plus, it was a better performing printer.  Couldn't pass it up.  Besides, with the same side paper feed, it takes up less room on the computer desk than any of my old Canons did.

My printer gets spotty use.  It will sit for weeks, then get called on to do lots of work in a day or two.

I wish I could find a new scanner for cheap.  I like flatbed scanners, but require one that handles 8.5 x 14 inch paper for legal documents.  As cheap as some of the all in one printers are, stand alone scanners seem to start at the price of good all in one printers & go up from there.  Guess the manufacturers sell the printers at very low prices & make the $$ on proprietary ink cartridges.   ::)

I've never had to retire a printer for a breakdown - always done it for perforance gain or simple economics.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tanno

I have an IBM Selectric that's never failed me.  ;D

h2olawyer

For my college papers, I used a 1930s LC Smith fully manual typewriter.  The platen was so hard by then that the "O"s and other letters or numbers with a fully enclosed part would punch holes in the paper.  That thing sure developed strong fingers!  Gotta love those old, heavy machines.  Kind of miss using it.  Still sits on a typing table with the original cover.  I had a Smith Corona electric as well, but it hummed so loud I'd lose my train of thought.

Finally went computerized in about 1988, after word processors became very user friendly.  Had an Atari 800XL before that (1983?), but the Gorilla Banana printer I had was terrible.  The tails on the "g", "j" and anything that was supposed to go below the line didn't.  Professors wouldn't accept papers printed on it.  With the computer, I also got a Panasonic KXP-1124.  Now, that was an awesome dot matrix printer!  May be a dinosaur today, but in it's time, it rocked.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

The sad thing is that if you look back at "old technology", it actually outlasts the new stuff.  Some of my first printers were tanks.  You could beat the crud out of them, work them to death and they would still ask for more.  I still have an old epson dot matrix that would gladly print out a crate of form feed and beg for more.  I just got started writing a research paper for my leadership class and did an online search for journals.  I had to print out about 200 journal articles and ran out of ink.  I just replaced mu black tank last week!  On top of that, my printer is making a horrible screeching noise as the print carriage moves back and forth.  Its only a freaken year old and cost about $300.00!

David

pullshocks

We bit the bullet and bought a HP 1020 laser printer for routine printing and just use the ink jet printer/scanner (also HP) for pictures and documents where appearance is critical.

Costco.com has a samsung color laser mfd for $520, more than you were looking to spend, but might pay for itself.  Or not, as some of the laser printers require new fusers every other cartridge.