July RideToWork

Started by MotorPlow, April 03, 2006, 06:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Don't forget that this year's Ride To Work Day is July 19th...

Mutt

Guess that means I'll have to get a job.  :P

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

hfarley

Hey Mutt! I think you should be a motorcycle mechanic for that day. This way you get to "test" ride the Vision all you want to make sure it's working properly. And if you hapen to end up in another state or very far from home you can always say you were testing the tires to make sure they are wearing at an even angle.  ;) LOL!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

MotorPlow

Press Release: For Immediate Release
Date: 6/19/06
Subject: Ride To Work Day 2006

Motorcycle and Scooter Ride to Work Day is Wednesday, July 19, 2006
This year's fifteenth annual motorcycle and scooter commuting demonstration will increase the number of riders on the road, according to Ride to Work, a non-profit advocacy organization. "Riding to work on this day shows the positive value of motorcycles and scooters for transportation. For many people, riding is an economical, efficient and socially responsible form of mobility that saves energy, helps the environment and provides a broad range of other public benefits," states Andy Goldfine, the event organizer. Motorcycle and scooter enthusiasts and rider organizations worldwide encourage their members to ride to work on this day.

According to the United States Census Bureau and the Department of Transportation, over eighty million cars and light trucks are used for daily commuting on American roads, and about 200,000 motorcycles and scooters are a regular part of this mix. On Ride to Work Day, the practical side of riding becomes more visible as a larger number of America's 8,000,000 cycles are ridden to work.

Ride to Work Day helps demonstrate how these vehicles make parking easier and help traffic flow better. Studies have shown that across equal distances commuting motorcyclists reach their destinations in less time than those using automobiles, that motorcycles and scooters consume less resources per mile than automobiles, and that they take up less space on roads. Motorcycle and scooter riders seek improved employer recognition and support for this form of transportation, and more public and government awareness of the positive value of riding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ride to Work Day, a 501 c4 nonprofit organization, can be reached at:
POB 1072, Proctor, Minnesota, 55810 USA
http://www.ridetowork.org
218 722 9806
Christine Holt chold@ridetowork.org
Andy Goldfine agoldfine@ridetowork.org
Ride to Work Day Mission Statement:
To advocate and support the use of motorcycles for transportation, and to provide information about transportation riding to the public.
Affiliated Ride to Work Day Countries:
Germany, Philippines, England, Germany, Israel, Turkey, Ecuador, United States, and many others.
Newsletter:
Sample issues of 'The Daily Rider' newsletter are available for download at:
http://www.ridetowork.org/dailyrider
History:
A brief history of Ride to Work Day is available for viewing at:
http://www.ridetowork.org/history
Fact Sheet:
A transportation motorcycling fact sheet is available at:
http://www.ridetowork.org/facts
RTW Day Photos and Artwork:
Motorcycle commuting photos, ads, posters, banners, photos, illustrations and other artwork is available for view and download at:
http://www.ridetowork.org/art

Ride To Work, Inc.
PO Box 1072
Proctor, MN 55810-1072
(218) 722-9806

MotorPlow

Mutt

ONE YEAR LATER....

I guess I still need to get a job so I can ride to work!  ::)

Mutt

Serendipity

Slacker!!! ;)

Dave and I were just discussing tonight how we are going to arrange the littlest Visionary's care so that we can both ride to work next Wednesday, since I usually drive him to my Mom's on the drive into work. (Ack! Run-on sentence alert!)

h2olawyer

Quote from: Serendipity on July 12, 2006, 11:29:04 PM
Slacker!!! ;)

Dave and I were just discussing tonight how we are going to arrange the littlest Visionary's care so that we can both ride to work next Wednesday, since I usually drive him to my Mom's on the drive into work. (Ack! Run-on sentence alert!)

That's not bad - try reading legal opinions sometime.  Don't remember the exact case, but I remember reading one in law school that had a single sentence take half a page.  It contained 5 negatives and no commas, colons or semicolons.  Took me a couple hours to decipher.  I edited it down to three sentences and eliminated many of the negatives before I finally got it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

Quote from: Serendipity on July 12, 2006, 11:29:04 PM
Slacker!!! ;)

Bring the bike to Mom's the night before. Drop the kid and the car off at Mom's in the morning. Do the opposite in the evening.

YellowJacket!

Hey, thats a pretty good idea motorplow.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Walt_M.

Hey Mutt, I'm with you on that job thing but I'm retired and do not intend to get another job. I get to enjoy every day.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Mutt

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 14, 2006, 05:05:57 PM
Hey Mutt, I'm with you on that job thing but I'm retired and do not intend to get another job. I get to enjoy every day.

I'm military retired but I figure if I want a new bike (zx14 :) ) I'd better do something. I'm going to school so they can learn me a trade and I can become a tax paying productive citizen again. I'm only 45 and not ready to call it quits just yet. Besides, I have a 8 year old boy and a 16 year old daughter (help me  :P) so I can't just quit yet.

Mutt

kiawrench

How am i supposed to participate in this event this time, my job has changed, and due to my primary location of execution, riding my v to work just isnt an option. well, maybe .... quick!!, blake, ps2, mutt, lucky ,,,,,, lets figure out how to add a snorkel and a really really big airtank to the vision-- is a long ride from here to Europe ,or Dubai............

Oh,, with the new games being played bu certain mid-eastern nations ,and those that want to be nations- i am stuck here ,no work, no pay ,and no end in sight   may be time to google  new job !!!

count me in,, will ride to someplace on the 19th,,,,   hmmmm,, beachfront,, watch the early morning volleyball games, or the ice cream races after 5 pm ... plenty of options
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

MotorPlow

:o I just checked my schedule... I am off on the 19th. Now what an I going to do? Ride to someone else's job?

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on July 15, 2006, 03:10:37 PM
:o I just checked my schedule... I am off on the 19th. Now what an I going to do? Ride to someone else's job?

Volunteer a day of work. Your boss and community will thank you.

Mutt

haunter

mine won't be making it it seems

she just doesnt wanna run at all
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: MotorPlow on July 15, 2006, 03:10:37 PM

Me too.  So I'll just ride somewhere.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

don_vanecek

Hey, it's July 19th and I rode the Vision to work (of course I do that everyday-but someone had to post that they did indeed do it today!)

Serendipity

I did too!!! :D Dave met my best friend at 95 and handed off our son, who then dropped him off with parents. (who keep while I'm at work) Today's my late day so I figured I'd actually ride home on my long lunch break and swap vehicles in case we got our inevitable afternoon thunderstorms.

Well, the weather dared to start-up early today and at 11:00 it was already getting ugly. So Dave and I watched the weather and when there appeared to be a break in the storms between work and home, I went for it....though we both still thought I'd catch some light rain near home.

Timed it perfect though! Clearly I had just missed a major storm as the roads were still very wet with lots of puddles.....and as soon as I got home it started up again.

Not that I'm so sweet I'd melt if I got wet. ;) But it was nice to have such nice rides to and from work and not get drenched! OOOh! And I almost forgot the best part! Since I was riding right behind the storm I got to take full advantage of that 30 minutes of cool-down we get after a storm moves through. It was amazing! It' s been hot as hades since I started riding, so this was the first time I was riding that I thought to myself, "If I didn't have a jacket on, I might actually be a bit chilly!" Aaah, bliss!

MotorPlow

I didn't have to work today, but I figured that work around the house needed some supplies. I rode into town to pick up a heating vent and then pick up a pizza to bring home for lunch. Thermometer on the bike read 98oF. It was very hot! I did notice that the hotter the temperature outside, the higher the voltage reading at the battery. I also found out that the voltmeter that I have has an alarm if the battery charges at 16V or higher. Needless to say, 16V scared the crap out of me.