News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

400 Vision Conversion?

Started by Glyn Pickering, November 15, 2003, 01:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

Apologies if this is posted twice.

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a 400 Vision - as produced for the Asian market to a 550? There are a few 400's here in New Zealand but almost no 550's.

Regards

Glyn

Lucky

The answer is probably yes. i've seen some pretty wild car/engine combinations, and what your asking about is swaping engines not only from the same manufacurer, but also in the same model line.

As we understand it, the only differance was the combustion chamber size, but I don't think you will find anyone here who has both.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Didn't Sergey  in Moscow have both?  I believe he did .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

His email  addy is in the Members  area.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

It might be possible but it would not be easy nor cheap. The 400 has a bore and stroke of 73X47.6 mm. The 550 has 80X55mm so you would have to lengthen the stroke as well as bore the cylinders. Not sure of the connecting rod length but it would not surprise me if the 550 has longer rods. Biaggi had a post with the 400 specs in Japanese a while back.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I think we're pretty much talking a "simple" engine swap here, & possably the matching TCI

Walt_M.

Any idea on how much it would cost to ship a Vision engine to New Zealand?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Three or four years ago , Guzzi john  wanted to send a Vision engine to Russia , seems like it was around 2500.00  I'm not kidding. :o
Rick G

biaggi

I think a donor bike and then an engine/electrics swop would be the best way.

Looking at my 400 and the 550 Haynes manual it should be a doddle - the frame is perfect for dropping the engine in and out.

QBS

Another option:  Take your 400 cc engine and bore it out to the max.  Stick some 82' carbs and heads on it, along with either an 82' exhaust or it's fitting replacement.  A xz550 is basically a bored and stroked xz400.  Leave the stock 400 cc rods in place.  It might be possible that the 400 could be bored to exceed 550 even while still using the 400cc rods.  If the 400 cc engine is in good shape otherwise, you wouldn't even have to split the case.  Cheers.

Walt_M.

I seem to vaguely remember reading about somebody who was roadracing a Vision 10-15 years ago(probably longer) and he had his up to 650cc. I never saw any particulars on how he did it. So, I guess anything is possible, at least up to 650!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

That was John Clemmens , He advertised a set of bored cylinders and pistons on the old forum , boy, do I regret not getting them .
 I emailed him for more information and he replied " J E pistons , all bore, no stroke"  Hes a man of few words! I need to track down JE pistons.
Rick G

Walt_M.

Wonder if he had it balanced? Or what the vibration was like if he didn't.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Good question, Jeff Swan refered me to another fellow who raced Visions , he related that he ordered 3 longer stroke crankshafts  from a local forge . This brought it up to 750 cc or there abouts. He said it dynoed out at 93 BHP , He still had his old racer , as a display item in his shop , the only remaining long stroke crank  rests in it still!
Rick G

Humber

I have jsut visited JE pistons site and have to say that their site and catalogue for yamaha products suck...
nie ma podpis?w

GAJim

the site is not informative but my thoughts are they assume you know what you are doing.  It will be very hard to find a complete kit for the vision, rare bike only produced two years in the US.  Marketing says build what is in demand.  ie all the crotch rockets.   Our best bet might be to contact Dave Sulecki as he works for Weisco.   I would be very interested in buying another vision motor to make a bigger bore bike.  

Humber

wow.... thanks JIm, in fact I sent a piston to Rick, he was to forward it to Dave....

RIck??? how is it going????
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

QuoteI have jsut visited JE pistons site and have to say that their site and catalogue for yamaha products suck...

LOL!!! I can't understand why you think your english is poor, You've got it down my friend!!!  :D :D ;D

hamptoncarmody

Hi Glynn .I,m in New Zealand with a 400. I  can,t help you with a conversion . I,d like to make contact with you though. I,m in Nelson . Drop me an email. I,m on the members board pge 10 seeya Alan