82 vision cooling issue

Started by chuckwsh, May 08, 2003, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckwsh

I'm having difficulty with my 82 and overheating. We put in another fan switch and changed the temp sending unit also.
system drained, flushed heavily, refilled with 50-50 mixture, bled the system at the metal yoke under the tank, checked the connections. start bike, see good flow in the radiator. ( I took the thermostat out because of this problem, no change) and watch the temp rise over 10 mins or so to the red, if I kick the fan on either manually or let the sensor do  it it maintains for a while but but still gets hot.(into the red) On the highway it maintains for about  15 mins or so but an increase in speed gets it hotter. Someone mentioned in a file here long ago about impellers on the pump. I'll check that next. looking for a few more ideas, maybe I forgot to mention something but its pretty simple. No bubbling in the radiator(head gaskets OK) and no oil in the coolant. bike runs ok other than the 4000 rpm hesitation crap which is next. thanks. ~chuck

George R. Young

Long range 2 cents worth - faulty meter temperature sensor? There's a Haynes procedure to check with boiling water and a meter.