News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

550 Vision Help. New owner.

Started by r1pilot83, June 25, 2013, 07:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r1pilot83

I picked up a 1982 550 with 7000 miles and planned to commute on it to work. When I got it, it would not run and needed a carb rebuild. I was too busy, so I took it to a shop that I know. The shop has been waiting weeks on the diaphrams, and choke seals. My guy has looked around and cannot find any replacements.  What can we do guys? He said the accelerator pumps diaphrams were toast, along with a lot of other rubber parts. Help please, I have a 07R1 but do not want to commute on it. The Vision is just a cool bike and I look forward to riding it.

r1pilot83

Read 22 times and nobody has any helpful info? Yes I have searched this site before posting.  :-\

Rikugun

Welcome to the site. If it's just commuting your after there are better choices. When all is said and done you would have spent less on a Rebel 250 with a rack and top box and would get better MPG.  ;)

Having said that, find XZ550 rebuild kits here with everything typically needed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XZ550-XZ550RJ-VISION-KEYSTER-CARB-KIT-1982-/111085827426?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dd3b3562&vxp=mtr#ht_1955wt_940

Other than the one accell pump diaphragm, I'm not sure what others your guy is referring to unless he's talking about the ones in the fuel pump which are not included in the carb kits. Hopefully he hasn't messed with that as those parts might be hard to come by. More often than not the pump is viable so have him carefully reassemble it and hope disturbing it hasn't rendered it useless. Worse case scenario you can run sans pump and forego accessing the last litre (purportedly) of fuel. Some members have fit an electric pump from another carburated model.

I hope your guy is familiar with these carbs because it takes more than just new parts and a general knowledge of motorcycle carbs to get these right. Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

Then you know that getting good carbs is possible but not easy. See if your shop would use parts from another carburetor and pick up a spare or two off E-Bay. Hope to organize a procedure that will allow an inexperienced person to clean and adjust their own carbs. Recommend that you get involved and do it yourself or contact one of our ROVers who do carb overhauls. I see a choice between money and involvement, I too have an 82 with 7000 miles and I had Rick set it up for me two or three years ago and it ran fine after I synchronized the carbs.     BDC

Rikugun

It just occurred to me another set of rubber parts well worth replacing are the throttle shaft seals.  They are not included in the rebuild kits but are available from several sources. I don't have that info at my fingertips but will look later if someone else doesn't chime in.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

r1pilot83

Thank you for the help guys. He is the most experienced carb guy around from what I know. I used to work on my 2000 R1 carbs, but really didn't want to fool with the Vision carbs. So your saying that the Vision is not a good commuter?

sunburnedaz

Personally I think the bike is a great commuter. It just takes a bit of an investment to get it started. That being said once that is done its a great bike to commute on, upright seating, well padded seat, easy arm position, and with the full fairing I would commute in everything but icy weather. The problems with this bike mostly happen when they sit for awhile without proper storage, and sometimes even with proper storage you will still have some issues bringing back back from hibernation.

As far as the carbs go get the keyster carb kit http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=709 you can find them on ebay cheaper. Be wary of the jets that come with any kit though, I think they are junk because the quality control just is not up to snuff for something that precise. Reuse the original jets after a good cleaning and blow through or if they are damaged order a them as one offs from yamaha or mikuni. While we are on carbs, check the YICS by putting it underwater with a hose on one chamber and blow into it. Any bubbles mean there is a leak and it should be repaired.

Two other things this bike is notorious for are starter issues and killing stators with regulator/rectifiers. Rebuild the starter with an ebay kit before its a problem. What happens is the seal on the nose fails, and lets oil into the starter and then it can't start the bike. The other issue is the stator goes bad for reasons that are still debated, now to watch that just install a volt meter somewhere on the bike or a low charge light somewhere if you don't want a meter.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rikugun

Quote from: r1pilot83 on June 26, 2013, 11:42:38 AM
So your saying that the Vision is not a good commuter?
No, not saying that exactly. My comment had more to do with cost although the length of the commute and type of roads also pllay into the decision.

It's just that many are drawn to the bike because of their low initial cost. Unfortunately, most require quite a bit of work, time, and money to get them to the point of being reliable.  Even then, you only have as reliable a bike as a 30 year old bike can be.  When all is said and done you can often buy a small commuter that's turn key for the same or less. While the XZ's mileage will be better than that of an R1, there are bikes out there that do better. Just my 2 cents.  :)

Rikugun

I have to chime in on the jet quality comment. I've seen the "low quality jet" claims before but wonder how much of it is parroting claims prior made and how much is fact.  Maybe the quality was once poor and is now better yet the bad rap continues? Personally, I have not seen any evidence the jets are of low quality i.e. comparative measurements or the like and can only go by my one experience with them.  If there is something specific that can be pointed out about the current jets used in these kits to support the claims, I'm very willing to rethink my position.

Also consider the following regarding using the old jets - you may have no idea what you're dealing with.  :( Many of these carbs have been apart many, many times. The markings on the jets are often obliterated by Tommy Torquer and his ill fitting slotted screwdriver/chisel.    :o  Even if you can make out the size to compare to specs, you better have a way to determine if they've been drilled one or more times. Often you must use mechanical methods to clean them as carb spray and compressed air are not enough.  Just running wire through them can alter the flow characteristics and affect performance. Those old jets may be far from their original size.

My suggestion is to use the jets that come with the kit and save the OEMs as spares.  I can only go by my one experience with those kits so I'm no expert. But after paying that much per kit there was no way in hell I was gonna just toss those expensive bits a brass away. I used them and have no complaints. Just my 2 cents.  :)

r1pilot83

At this point, I just hope it runs. I am starting to see why I picked it up so cheap.

sunburnedaz

Quote from: r1pilot83 on June 26, 2013, 05:05:19 PM
At this point, I just hope it runs. I am starting to see why I picked it up so cheap.

Once it runs you will love it. Where are you located? There might be ROVer nearby who can help out.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

QBS

r1, research starter clutch reattachement and do what you think best.  Think factory defect and permanent fix.  Resistance is futile.

r1pilot83

I am located near Hillsboro Ohio. 45 mins East of Cincinnati.

I will check out the upgrades.

r1pilot83

Quote from: QBS on June 26, 2013, 10:58:54 PM
r1, research starter clutch reattachement and do what you think best.  Think factory defect and permanent fix.  Resistance is futile.

Will do, sounds important.

js9_20

Quote from: sunburnedaz on June 26, 2013, 01:01:43 PM
Personally I think the bike is a great commuter.

I use mine every chance I get for commute...  Love it!  Wish I had the option to use it more for commuting. 

r1pilot83

I am still without a running Vision. My carb guy says that he cannot find "pilot" diaphrams and choke slide seals. Dont hold me to those terms. Either way I am bumbed, to cope I am buying a XJ750 tomorrow.  Can anybody help me find these diaphrams before I decide to sell it?

pullshocks

Print off the parts diagram and have the mechanic show you which ones he is talking about.  Then maybe we can help.  http://www.ysppart.com/pages/OemParts#/Yamaha/XZ550RJ_-_1982/CARBURETOR/XZ550RJ_%281982_MOTORCYCLE%29/CARBURETOR_%28XZ550RJ_-_1982%29

The parts diagram does not list anything called a "pilot diaphragm".  There is a diaphragm  in the accelerator pump.  Is that what he means?  It is not available  from Yamaha but should be included in the rebuild kit mentioned above.

For the "choke slider seals" , #44 on the diagram, the "starter set" is showing as available from Yamaha @ $41.27 per carb.

Speedandsportinc.com would be a place to try.

Rikugun

Quote from: r1pilot83 on July 06, 2013, 05:00:18 AM
Either way I am bumbed, to cope I am buying a XJ750 tomorrow. 
It seems you've found a solution to your problem.  :) Assuming the XJ is in running condition that is.... :o  ;D

r1pilot83

Thanks, I will print off the diagram and ask him to show me.

The XJ750 has 5000 original miles and was dropped. Needs a handlebar. I picked it up for 500.00 with new tires on it. :)

r1pilot83

I won't give up if I can figure this out. He keeps telling me that I will not be satisfied with the Vision, and will always be searching for another gear on the highway.