News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Lowering gear shifter

Started by tig5, July 23, 2013, 10:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tig5

I'm 6'3 and I find the gear shifter too high to operate comfortably. To shift down I need to take my left foot off the peg. I tried to lower the shifter height so it sits about 1.5 inches below the height of the peg but it seems that the shifter bottoms out at the pivot point on a downward shift attempt if I lower it any further.

What would you guys recommend? Bend it? Or is it likely to break.

I realize that my riding position probably isn't ideal but it's about the best I can manage without making drastic changes.

QBS

You probably know this already.  Just in case you don't, the shifter can be adjusted two ways.  One way is the threaded shifter connection rod (Attention! Reverse threads).  This yields infinitely variable positioning.  The other way is to move the linkage ball joint to a different position on the splined shifter shaft and then make fine adjustments with the threaded rod.

Jimustanguitar

Definitely turn the adjuster barrel first and only mess with the linkage on the shift shaft itself if that doesn't get it to where you need it. If you put the linkage on the shaft wrong, you will fight with both getting the clamp bolt started, and getting it to shift at all. If you move the clamp on the shift shaft much, you'll change the angle that the linkage pushes and pulls on the rod and you will find angles that don't work.

tig5

Cheers for the replies.

I've experimented adjusting it using both those methods but the problem is the lever itself bottoms out against the foot peg as I lower it. The best analogy i can think of right now is an erect dick n balls....when the dick goes down the balls pivot and bash into the footpeg so I wouldnt be able to downshift due to a lack of room.....

Rikugun

I noticed the same thing when I converted to the '83 pegs/shifter although my complaint was ankle flexure required for upshifts. I tried every adjustment but couldn't get the same feel as on the '82. Maybe due to the different riding position afforded by the shorter bar risers and pegs further back? I  removed a bit of peg bracket material to allow "ball" clearance :o so the shifter's resting position is a bit lower.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

NITROPOLIS

You have 2 options. Have 2 inches of your left leg removed, Below the knee. Or cut the shift lever from the pivot and re weld with a slightly lower angle.
Just spit ballin' here. ;)

Rick G

Thats the main reason I rejected the '83 risers and pegs/shifter/brake pedal set up . just didn't work for me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Riding position is very much a personal thing. I didn't necessarily hate the '82 setup but was intrigued with the "sportier" position of the '83. Having tried both, I can say there are pros and cons and I might not be as sporty as I once was...  :(  My next experiment is retain the '83 footpeg position but try it with the '82 risers.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan