I work with idiots....

Started by Lucky, August 06, 2007, 10:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

this isn't a flame, just venting.

I had 3 days off in a row (never happens) and i get back to work  and i find a brand new Stihl MS310 chainsaw on my work bench with a service tag on it that says "defective".  nothing else except the warrenty card, all filled out, and a note to transfer another one from one of our other stores.

i ask around & no one knows what the problem is, the only other person who might know, our 19 year old trainee, is off.

later the night manager comes in & i ask him "Oh yeah, Justin (the trainee) sold it and said the chain won't move & it's smoking" I should mention that we start & run every Stihl before it leaves the store.

I walk over to the saw (i'll bet you can see where this is going) and sure enough, the chain brake is on. i take it off, 2 pulls later it's running, chain spinning like a champ.

tomorrow Justin gets to call the other store & cancel the transfer, & call the customer and let him know his saw is all set, & that someone who actually knows what they are doing has checked it out. then he gets to explane to the boss why i had to replace the brake & poss clutch bell.

idiot.....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Has anyone taken the time to explain to the trainee how this equipment, (& other equipment),  work's...required demo' technique's, etc ??? ??? Therefore he may not be an "Idiot", just badly trained...which makes his supervisor/manager an "Idiot"... ::)

8)...TIGER...27 year sales vetran... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

constantly.
he's a very well informed idiot.....

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Lucky on August 07, 2007, 06:10:20 AM
constantly.
Lucky,

HR gave me two Mechanics; one is an ace who rides a Triumph, welds and hunts down little equipment details to rethink and fix, the other is your idiot's mentor... ;D ;D ;D ;D

And, once you call a person an idiot, the American's with Disabilities Act kicks in and HR fights any attempts to get rid of them. That's why Supervisors make the big bucks, retaining, retraining, retaining and retraining undeclared idiots... ::)

:-\
Coil

YellowJacket!

I'm more worried about the idiot that bought it.  Sholdn't someone read the manual before using such a dangerous piece of power equipment??  Did the customer even understand what the chain brake is.. or that the chain saw had one?
:o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dj

I think that that customer is a potential for a darwin award nomination if they don't smarten up.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Lucky

i never met the customer, this all happened when i was off.
every saw we sell comes with tools, an owners manual, safety glasses.  in addition, Stihl provides a seperate safety manual free of charge.  i provide one to every customer who i feel may be new to chain saws.  i ordered them in both english & spanish since we have a lot of lawn services with mexican employees...

Evan

That reminds me, it is hurricane season, and last year when I ran the husky chainsaw, it did not run right.  Likely another piece of equipment that needs the carb disassembled and cleaned!
;)

kiawrench

lucky-
  as far as the employment of idiots goes- it is a requirement, every shop has them,, i have my own personal quota, and some other companies as well-( figure out how 2000 pounds of ice cream was "redirected " to Ft Lewis ,WA when the box was labeled in 10 inch letters- JFK CENTER FT BRAGG NC)

or, if anyone has time, determine the lost funds on 6000 lbs of baby back ribs , still stuck in australia ,on a dock, when it was labeled on all 4 sides- perishable, keep frozen

,,,,,,, the local motor bike shop hired a real expert- i went to buy a set of footpeg covers and the cables for clutch and throttle for my project bike, and this guy actually said yamaha never made a vision, if i needed parts for one of those i needed to go to a victory dealer, then asked me to step away from the counter so he could serve a customer of yamaha. This didnt sit too well with me after the day i had. needless to say , he doesnt work at the parts counter now, he works in back, away from regular yamaha customers.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

I have a saying at work: "How can I soar with eagles when I work with a bunch of turkeys?"  I have High Standards.  Nobody realizes that though.

David

Walt_M.

Reminds me of the fellow who bought a chainsaw guaranteed to cut 10 cord of firewood a day. He took it back saying he could only cut 9. The salesman started it to see if it was running right and the fellow said,'what's that sound?'
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

ColinthePilot

What I really hated when I was in a supervisory/expert position was idiots who were neither trained nor qualified in equipment or procedures diagnose and attempt to fix problems. I had a girl pump 12 times the legal limit of chlorine into a pool because "it was greenish yellow." She apparently overlooked the fact that the chlorine solution is greenish yellow. Since she didn't know how to test the water, she just cranked the chlorine pump. I (manager) got there about an hour later and asked her why the entire pool smelled like bleach. after she explained what she did, I tested the water and told her in no uncertain terms that she was never allowed in the pump room ever again and she owed the company about $100 in highly concentrated chlorine solution.
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Lucky

I guess i'd be in trouble if i called you "pool Boy" huh?   ;D

(but hey, in the movies, they get all the action, lol)

ColinthePilot

yeah, i prefer "pool and spa operator." Difference was I was working appartment complexes and hotel pools, not private pools behind mansions with rich neglected housewives. As far as action, well, we won't go there...
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

reckon

Quote from: Lucky on August 07, 2007, 06:10:20 AM
constantly.

we tend to show those folks the door after a few tries:  my boss likes baseball, so it's three strikes and yer out!

I worked on an ambulance when I was just out of high school, and we had a well informed idiot,.....

one day "dan" (the idiot) had to transport a fainting victim to the hospital, his radio report to the hospital went something like this:

DAN: we have a fainting victim on board and our ETA is about 10
HOSP: ummm,..ok,...male or female?  (they shouldn't have to ask that)
DAN: female
HOSP:  ok,.....well,...is the patient conscious and oriented? (they shouldn't have to ask THAT either)
DAN: yes she is now conscious, and no, she's black   

???

TRUE STORY, so I feel your pain
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

YellowJacket!

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.