News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

HOSE ROUTING

Started by desperado, May 30, 2002, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desperado

The prime hose from my petcock runs directly to a port on the rubber flange underneath my front carb and results in a crankcase bath.   Assuming this is hooked up at the wrong location could someone tell me the proper way to tie this in and if anything is supposed to hook up to the port on the flange or just plug it?

Lucky

You have a leaking petcock. the vacume line from the front intake manifold (what you describe as a "flange" to the petcock should not have any fuel in it, it should be dry.  there are rebuild kits for them, click on the "riders of Vision" banner above and then go to "links" i don't remember what company it is, but i believe it says petcock rebuils in the description.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

desperado

Thanks for the response Lucky however i am still confused, in the posting on/off petcock wich now appears just under this one on the board you stated that the prime function was free flowing and should not be left in this position lest the float needles leak and you lose your tank of gas.   I deducted from this statement that the prime function was somehow routed to the carburator and not a direct feed from the tank to the intake manifold.   My prime only free flows when in prime position, no fuel escapes out the prime nozzle when in the on, reserve, or off position wich my petcock has.   Maybe it would help if you would explain to this rookie the purpose of the prime function, is it to fill the fuel bowls after say the carbs have been cleaned and there is insufficiant vacume to act upon the on or reserve ports,  or is its purpose to dump raw fuel into the cylinders to aid with starting.  Thanks for any help you can give me!

Lucky

ok, using an 82 petcock as an example,  there is one large hose and one small hose. the large hose is the fuel frrd to the carbs, the small hose is vacume from the intakes TO the petcock.  the vacume to the petcock will cause fuel to flow in "on" or "res".  no vacume = no fuel flow in those two positions. in "pri" fuel flows freely, regardless of wether or not there is vacume.  there is no seperate "prime" hose, but on the 83 petcock/carbs there is a second large (fuel) line, this is a return for any unused fuel from the fuel regulator.
i hope this clears it up.
--Lucky

ricks_83

the fuel pump in the petcock uses vacum from the front cylinders intake manifold,the diaphram can leak allowing fuel to flow into the front cylinder,  the petcock has a free flow incase the bike is run out of fuel allowing you to fill the fuel bowls without leaning on the starter switch to much

desperado

Thanks for the response guys i understand now.   Just one other Question, the front carb has a plastic T fitting coming out of the bowl, one side connects to the rear carb and the other has no hose on it and leaks gas.   Can you tell me where it hooks to.

qqbs

The outlet that you say now leaks fuel left the factory with a drain hose attached to it.  This hose was routed so as to dump float bowl overflow to the ground.  

The presence of fuel coming from either plastic float bowl drain fitting indicates some type of fuel needle valve problem.  Candidates include gummed up needle valve assemblies, worn needle valve assemblies, needle valve assemblies containing extranious trash, broken or torn needle valve assembly O rings, and floats that don't (very rare).  Cheers.

Lucky

one other thing too, the shiny philips screw next to the plastic drain has an o-ring on it. if the o-ring on this drain screw is in need of replacing, fuel could be seeping past it and out the drain.
--Lucky