News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Rear Brake Broke

Started by crackerkorean, August 05, 2006, 06:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I leanred a very important lesson today. Make sure to tighten the shoulder bolt on the rear brake assembly.
I was happy that I got the MAC exhaust on that I forgot to tighten that bolt. I didnt reliaze it till I pressed the rear break and then the pedal fell.

I slowly turned around and looked on the rear drum and found that the rod from the pedal to the dum pulled apart.

Luckily i was going slowly so I didnt lay the bike down.

So needless to say the bike is out of commission until I get some parts.

I would like to get the rear drum assembly. (everything but the wheel)
the rod that goes to the pedal
And the nut that goes on the back of the the long thin rod.

SO the lesson here is to make sure all the bolts are tightend and have cotter pins.

Tiger

??? I think I have what you need........I will check to-morrow morning.... ::)

;)       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

crackerkorean

Let me know. I hope shipping isnt too much though.

Tiger

Quote from: crackerkorean on August 05, 2006, 10:17:26 PM
Let me know. I hope shipping isn't too much though.

;D One complete rear brake drum / brake rod with spring and nut boxed and ready to go.......Where  ??? p.m. me with your name/address and I will get it out on TUESDAY, as this is a holiday long week-end and the mail office is closed on Monday. I have no idea of delivery charge until Tuesday, but it shouldn't be to much.... ::).

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

crackerkorean

I am actually surprised that nobody else has responded. Either way.
Make sure that the shoulder bolts on your rear brakes are tight and if they are old I suggest replacing them. There was a thread a while ago about the bolts breaking.

Luckily for me the rear wheel didn lock up but this is what happened.

Tiger

;) Shhhh....don't tell any-one, but you are the second "family" member that I have supplied these part's to this year....but I won't name name's....Right BlurredVision... :o ;D :D ;)
When I overhauled my back brakes not so long ago, I replaced the shoulder bolt with a regular bolt and Nyloc lock nut...

;D       TIGER        8)

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

.... it's one of those topics that probably should be brought up more to remind the new members that 25 year old bolts do weaken.... and the rear brake brace rod can be especially dangerous

when I had my 944,  and visited the pelican parts forum frequently, the board's "expert" (think Lucky) signature line said.....
"when was the last time you changed the timing belt?"

not exactly as dangerous as po-going from a (front) rear brake brace drop... ..... >:( ....but it could be fatal to the wallet   :P

glad you're ok..... the bright side is that the front one didn't let loose..... did you replace that one too?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

Night Vision

that's great. I figured since you help so many of the new members, there was a better chance they would see the warning. that's why you got some of my votes  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

forgot to mention, i'm not running for bad haircut inspector anymore.. 8)

Tiger

??? "when was the last time you changed the brake tension bar bolts?" ???

Lucky

I'm going to IM Ron & ask him to consider making this a sticky...

Tiger

:) Parts will be with you this week....... 8)