mini vision is getting there

Started by hmmmnz, November 09, 2009, 05:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmmmnz

well the mini vision (xz400) is coming along nicely,
all the indicators have been replaced with smaller round ones (still have that 80s look though)
and the headlight has been changed to a round one from a xj.

all the panels have had 5 coats of primer and 6-7 of black, and are on the 3rd coat of clear now,
the tank has been brought back to bare metal and the dents bogged (3 times now, its amazing how many small bits show up when you give the light primer spray) but finally im on the first solid primer layer, ill see if anything shows up when i give it the wet and dry, i suspect something will, but best spend the time on it now than be unhappy with the finished results later,

no pics yet, ill take some in the morning to show you my progress,

ive been putting off the carbs... i dont know why, normally carbs are the first thing i do do any bike i get, but these downdrafts are so unfamilar to me, arhh well gotter learn them sometime, why couldn't they have been a nice set of flatslides?? :D

pics to come
grrrr

hmmmnz

ok here are some pics

the headlight and smaller indicators

the tank in its final bog/1st primed state

the mudguard with 3rd gloss coat ready for a wet and dry

and the panels in the same state as the mudguard

and thats it so far, im quite liking the headlight,
grrrr

seabee

Looking really good man! When you say wet and dry do you mean wet sand and buff? Just curious cause I'm getting ready to strip and paint my tank and plastics too.
***1982 Yamaha XZ 550 Vision***

hmmmnz

yeah after you do the priming (i wet and dry that every coat)
i then rub the colour down every three coats,(do as many blocks of 3 as you want) then after last rub down do one last coat before you then start on the clear coats.

Do three clear then rub down and repeat as many times as required ... last three coats leave for two weeks to harden properly and then rub down and polish

thats using can aresol paints out of spray cans,
alot easier if you have access to a spray booth and an oven :D  much quicker too :D
grrrr

funkamongus

a tip I heard is to "paint" a bit of fiberglass resin around the edge of the paint and around and into the gas nozzle so the gas cant get under the paint from there. Im gonna have to get around to all of this too,, Thanks for the info!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

looks good.  You in a concreet bunker?  :-)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

hmmmnz

it feels like it some times,  especially when i start the vf1000 with straight through pipes in there,
its almost like the world has ended :D

typical of lots of garages built in wellington, its built into the side of a hill,  (wellington is all hills, the only flat part of the city is where the airport is,)
grrrr