News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

bike runs bad above 6000 rpm, advice required, new to xz550

Started by matrixa850, November 25, 2006, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixa850

ok, need a bit of advice here so that i dont spend time and money where i dont need it.

My bike is a Eu xz550, 19k miles, been stood up for a while.

The bike starts and idles lovely, plus well when riding until you get to around 600 rpm then it feels like its running out of gas. If you drop down a gear and it goes above 7500 - 8000 rpm it will then climb to the limit allbeit roughly. I think the carbs may need cleaning and the contacts may need a clean. What do you guys think. New to this bike so would appreciate your input. As i said it runs lovely below 6000 rpm.

Night Vision

any vision that has been sitting around for awhile should be treated to a good carb cleaning...

I just started on set off an '82 tonite.... the varnish and gum is so thick, I think I'll have to dip them just to get some of the jets out.. but i think the carbs sat for ten years?

if it's running ok below 6k, first I'd run some seafoam or techtron in the gas, do an Italian tuneup  ;) , and see if it gets better..

then.... may just have to check the sync and adjust the pilot screws....
.....or do a quickie disassemble and spray job...
.....or a disassemble and dip job
.....or the full blown dip and rebuild

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

FYI:  Vs' don't have ignition contact points.  Transister Controlled Ignition instead.  You've probably got gummed up secondary carb circuits.  Run a major load of carb cleaner through about half a tank of gas and hope for the best.  Also, remove the main jet access brass covers from the float bowls, clean the main jets behind them with a bristle from a wire brush and then spray carb cleaner through them with the little red tube that come with most carb cleaner products.  Berrymans ChemTool comes highly recommended.  Cheers.

YellowJacket!

Good advice above.  Always a MUST with any Vision that has sat for a while.  I would also check your vacuum lines.  If your bike still has a YICS (silver triangle box on left side) check it for leaks.  Leaky YICS = unstable idle and crappy running Vision.  Been there, done that. ;D

Oh, and welcome to the family!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: matrixa850 on November 25, 2006, 05:09:01 PM
The bike starts and idles lovely, plus well when riding until you get to around 600 rpm then it feels like its running out of gas.

:)...SYNC' THE CARB'S, YOU HAVE VISION STUMBLE, OLD BOY... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on November 26, 2006, 09:01:54 AM
Quote from: matrixa850 on November 25, 2006, 05:09:01 PM
The bike starts and idles lovely, plus well when riding until you get to around 600 rpm then it feels like its running out of gas.

:)...SYNC' THE CARB'S, YOU HAVE VISION STUMBLE, OLD BOY... ;)

or........... maybe it's one of those Euro 37kw models that just aren't supposed to get to the sweet spot :o

wouldn't that be a bitch  >:(   nah, couldn't be.... clean them carbs!!

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano