News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

If your V returns to idle slowly.....

Started by QBS, July 23, 2004, 04:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

If your V returns to idle slowly it is is because of poor carb synchronization.  Carefully synch your carbs with a manometer and the problem will disappear.  Your bike will also start better, both hot and cold.

Cheers

Lucky

The other cause, more typical, is an intermally leaking YICS. external leak will cause a higher than normal idle, and both will cause hard starting, hunting iddle and crappy acceleration
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Jon

Any idea why my bike only sometimes returns to idle slowly?  4 out of 5 times it will drop right down to idle, but it seems like every fifth intersection I come to, the V hangs at 3000 rpm.  If I let out the clutch just a bit, the load will cause the rpms to drop, but it will work its way back up to 3000.  Next intersection, no problem whatsoever.

Also, it seems like I'm always turning the idle screw down.  Has anyone ever had the problem of the idle screw working it's way in?

Also, my plugs are running very hot (whitish).  My jets are correct.  I've been fussing with my mixture screws but have no scientific method to do so.   How is one know when they are correctly positioned?

I recently synced my carbs and the bike starts and runs better than ever...except for the abovementioned problems.
YICS is gone and the ports capped... all my vaccuum lines look just fine.

Any thoughts?

Lucky

If it's not a vacuume line,  then try capping the fuel pump vacuume source & running it on prime (eliminates a leak in the fuel pump) and do the same for the petcock. if it's an 83 you also have to do this with the accelerator control valve.

any reason you don't just fix the YICS & reinstall it?

jasonm.

Lucky,  your tank best be full to make sure fuel is filling the carbs.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Lucky

Jon

Thanks guys, Ill give that a try.  Unfortunatly, I haven't had the bike running in a week or so (due to "fixing" the front brake ::)) and when I tried to start it, I found my battery is dead.  Nothing.  Won't even accept a charge.  Weird, huh?
Anyway, the new free replacement battery is charging as we speak.  I will keep you posted.

On another note, whats the best way to tune my mixture screws?

Lucky

be aware that if you left the bike locked up with the steering locke, there is a position just past that, that turns on the running lights. if inadvertantly left on durring the daytime, you might not have noticed them, & drained the battery.

My procedure is to slowly turn in the mixture screws until the bike begins to stumble, and out till it stumbles (listen to the idle) and then st them midpoint betwwen the two points.  then test ride the bike and if you have a sever stumble (engine warmed up) then turn the screws out 1/8 - 1/4 at a time untill stumble is gone. this is a seat of the pants thing, but the results are very good, and since they usually end up on the rich side, it helps keep the exhaust valves cooler.

--Lucky

Jon

Jon

I tuned the mixture screws as per your instructions, and the bike seems to run smoother and stronger than ever ;D, except... now the bike runs rough while idleing on the sidestand... rpms drop considerably and it threatens to stall.  I had read that other Vision owners have tilt-tempermental bikes, but I had not experienced this untill now :-/.

Lucky