Past Vision Rider

Started by Re-Vision, January 30, 2009, 10:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Good morning Vision Riders,

/

don_vanecek

Wow, another original owner. I purchased mine brand new in 1984. Well, unless you live 1000 or so miles closer to Tiger, (I'm not sure if he even has one at this time-for sale that is)  I believe you will be very Lucky to find a complete working Vision that doesn't need work done to it. If you are willing to tackle cleaning the carbs, perhaps changing a stator, starter clutch bolts, perhaps cleaning and PORing a gas tank, if you can do these yourself the Vision is a nice bike (as you already know). The dealers in my area won't touch the Vision with a ten foot pole-they will sale parts of course-PLUS, if you had a dealer do all these things-unless your Vision was almost a freebie, it may not be too cost effective.

Seems like people have paid perhaps 1000-1200 for a complete working Vision-one someone has already fixed and updated most of the common Vision ailments. Frankly, I'd almost expect the guy trying to sale me that old Vision he's had in the shed for ten years and most likely had problems when it went to the shed, for pennies on the dollar-as I would end up spending hundreds getting it back into shape.

I'm a few years younger then you at 59-there are several of us somewhat "older gents" riding the Vision, I wish you good luck, I'm sure there will be other replies.

Tiger

:) Welcome back ('ish!!) ;) Trying to find a dealer that still knows ANYTHING about a Vision is slim to none and those that may, will charge you an arm and a leg for daring to use them... >:( Most of those pizza faced guys at the front of the shop are younger than our Vision's :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We are all owners of Yamaha's B*****d child...and proud of it :D :D :D :D :D 8)

I know where I can get you a Black '82 or a Red 'n White (Canadian) '83...and both have been "Tigerised" and ready for a new home. However, I'm in Ontario, Canada...I'd bring one over the border so you could fly up to Buffalo and ride home ;) 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

I have a nicely ground up restored 82 that I'd let you have for $1500...

only problem is that it is located in the heart of yankeedom...

and

it's probably too loud and fast for you  :o   RedSkunk is pretty tricked out
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on January 30, 2009, 06:59:34 PM
 RedSkunk is pretty tricked out

:) This is one beautiful reworked Vision... 8) Put a picture up N_V...

8)........TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Rick G

Any time you see that message , ignore it and make your post , or as you found out it will disappear.

I'm 66 and have ridden a Vision for 10 years, I've considered newer bikes , but there's nothing that compares to the Vision. I have 8.5 of them , one i ride , one is spare and the rest are disassembled for parts. QBS live in Texas and he may be close enough to help you out. 
I'll send you a PM with my home number.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) Home number sent Bobby... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Cdnlouie

Hey Bobby,

I would like to say that if it has been 20 years since you have been on a motorcycle and you have reached the distinguished age of 68  8) you should seriously consider a driver refresher course to evaluate your abilities, before getting back in the saddle of a Vision. I would seek the advice of your course teachers if they think you would be fine with a bike like the Vision.

I think the key issue here (because we value your cameraderie) is that you have not been driving regularly (like Rick G.) and the reflexes do deteriorate (even if you were 20 years younger).  I admire your desire to do so, but would caution you to make a plan that will keep you safe and enjoying two wheels again.

Please regard this as something to think about before making any purchase  :-\. It would be a pleasure to have you back on a Vision, but consider taking a cautious approach to getting back in the saddle.

Glad to have you on the forum  :) and look forward to hearing of your interest in the Vision,

Cdnl

Brian_Matthewson

I agree with CdnLouie's comments. Muscle tone, reflexes, balance and a number of other bodily functions don't work as well at 68 as they did years ago (don't ask me how I know). The Vision isn't a lightweight, so as CdnLouie says, proceed with caution.
Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.