News:

Main Menu

Speedometer Problems

Started by davidpope, February 02, 2009, 06:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidpope

I knocked my speedo cable out of the speedo guage housing installing my fairing. Thought nothing of it and hooked it back in. Speedometer and Odometer didnt work. Took it out and tried it again. This time the speedometer worked but the odometer didnt. Drove it around and the speedometer operated correctly. Drove it yesterday and once I hit 30-35mph the needle jumps to the other side and jumps around. It also makes a "clicking" noise at decel that appears to be coming from the speedo guage housing. Pulled the cable out from both ends and it doesnt look broken. I can turn one end and the other end turns. It appears to have adequate lubrication on both ends. Is there and way to bench test the cable, speedo gear, or guage cluster to see where my problem might be hiding? Also how do you post pictures in a post? What I might think looks good may actually be in poor condition. Thanks in advance.

QBS

Sounds like you didn't get the cable fully inserted into the base of the speedo unit or the wheel axle drive unit. One or the the other.

If you haven't lubricated the female receptor that the cable plugs into at the speedo unit, do it now. Disconnect the  the cable housing from the speedo unit and, as best you can, force the grease of your choice into the speedo unit female receptor area.  Really work the grease into this area  The grease will not enter the speedo unit through the actual receptor hole as that hole is dead ended.  The objective is to force grease into the very tight space between receptor and the body of the speedo unit.

Next, unscrew the lower cable housing collar and let the cable drop out of its housing and inch or so and then screw the upper cable housing attachment collar fully onto the speedo unit.  Now, push the cable up, into its housing, turning it as needed to get complete penetration into the speedo unit receptor hole. Next, while not allowing the cable to fall out of the housing, insert its lower end into the wheel axle drive unit and screw the housing collar onto the axle drive unit.

davidpope

Pulled the  speedo cable out of the plastic tubing and relubricated it w/ fresh grease. One end has a very small washer on it and the other side has a little know that keeps it from pulling out of one side. The side that restricts it from pulling out should connect to the speedo gear on the front wheel correct? Should I just use one of the square ends to help push a little greese into the top hole and the bottom hole? Also should the thread nut screw all the way to the top of the speedo unit hole or should there be a gap?

QBS

"Should I just use one of the square ends to help push a little greese into the top hole and the bottom hole?"

Use your finger tip.

"If you haven't lubricated the female receptor that the cable plugs into at the speedo unit, do it now. Disconnect the  the cable housing from the speedo unit and, as best you can, force the grease of your choice into the speedo unit female receptor area.  Really work the grease into this area  The grease will not enter the speedo unit through the actual receptor hole as that hole is dead ended.   The objective is to force grease into the very tight space between receptor and the body of the speedo unit."

"Also should the thread nut screw all the way to the top of the speedo unit hole or should there be a gap?"

There should be no male threads showing.

motoracer8

The best way to lube the speedo is to remove it from the bike, turn it upside down and put a few drops of machine oil in the area where the cable goes, and let it set over night.  Light oil will get into the bushing area much easyer than grease. Lube the speedo cable with a few drops of gear oil.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Rick G

I wasn't impressed with the idea of taking the instrument  cluster off to lube the drive , (its kind of like trying to shove a wet noodle up a wildcats ass) 
I used a small drill bit to bore a 1/8 inch hole, in the area just above the cable mounting threads. Stop the drill  just as the bit breaks through. You can mark the depth with a bit of tape wrapped around the drill bit.This can be done with out removing the instruments. Then I used a small tube of white grease and forced a bit into the cavity , lubing the shaft . Now I can lube it once a year with out pulling the instamen ts off.  A dab of rtv  seals it up.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

davidpope

Finished lubricateing the receptors and hooked everything up. Seemed to be doing alright in the parking lot. Got out on the road and as soon as I hit 45mph the darn needle broke off and it started clicking like crazy. Should I assume that the speedo unit inside the guage cluster was broken or could I have some how installed the cable wrong.

Night Vision

the speedo cable does not directly turn the needle.... I'm afraid it's number was up  :'(

time to hunt down a new one... good luck
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: davidpope on February 03, 2009, 01:06:16 PM
Should I assume that the speedo unit inside the gauge cluster was broken

:) Most probably...I sent you an email... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

NV I really like you mouse friend!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :-* :-* :-* :-* 8) 8) 8)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike