Oh Bugger!!!

Started by Tiger, January 01, 2009, 06:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on February 15, 2009, 08:36:19 AM
keeping the tank orange? or are you coming over to the 8) dark side 8) ?

:o The dark side no, no, noooooo.... :o An Orange warrior "The Mistress" will remain...'cept for the fairing ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

67GTO

I use a hair dryer instead of my heat gun on decals, less chance of damage. :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

joevacc

I was going to say...

"Everybody knows that black Visions are faster and generally better" but that orange paint job is pretty cool!   8) 8) ;) :D
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Tiger

Quote from: 67GTO on February 15, 2009, 05:19:16 PM
I use a hair dryer instead of my heat gun on decals, less chance of damage. :)

:) I actually put one of the lowers in the laundry tub, which contained warm soapy water...left it for about ten minutes...came back, lifted a corner and while under water peeled the decal back. It did snap once, about an inch or so in but lifted a corner and peeled it right of...and NO glue residue!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)                 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

:) I was having coffee with Canadian_Lou the other day and told him that the starter had decided to crap out ::) He informed me of a local supplier for brushes and gave me the relevant details. I called in to see the guy yesterday, who had a set on shelf!!! :o When I asked him "How much", he almost apologetically said "They are $20.00 a set"...I need them, he's got them, so off I went with the new set of brushes.

Last night, after work, I dropped the oil and unbolted the front MAC pipe from the head and removed the starter motor from "The Mistress". It was evident from the clear RTV silicone that I was not the first to remove and strip this starter motor ::) When I removed the back plate, I found the brushes were not much more than wee nubs!!!..and the unit full of black dust (cough, cough!!). I cleaned her all down, inside and out, cleaned up the armature, installed the new set of brushes and put her all back together. Once installed and everything was bolted back up, I'm pleased to inform you all that she works just fine once again... 8)

That's another one off of the "Need to do" list.......NEXT!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Cdnlouie

That's what I call a super cheap starter rebuild!  :o Way to go Tiger!  That fellow was a great contact.  I think I spent $10 seven years ago to rebuild mine and I considered it a gift  ::).  They were better than the original brushes so they should work well.

You are ready to roll!  ;D

Tiger

:) Fresh oil in the motor, choke on, ignition on, hit the start button...and away we go... 8)

Your right C_L, that guy was great to deal with...and he suplied the exact same size as the OEM ones, right off the shelf and no delivery delay... 8)

I dropped the hard bags off with Vad' this morning, so he can paint them up for me. Should get those back sometime next week... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Well, here we are at the "Seven weeks since she fell of the trailer" stage... :o...and this is where we are at...

The initial fall left "The Mistress" with a fracture in the upper left side fairing upper, an unrepairable left fairing lower, shattered vent, left mirror snapped off at the base, two broken signal indicators, a 1 1/2" hairline crack in the front fender, a 1 1/2" hairline crack in the left under seat plastic, a shattered rear light cowl, busted back rest pad...drained of oil (being upsidedown) and a starter motor that decided to crap out!!!

Since then she has had all the "bad" stripped off and after a search, all the required part's have been located, gathered up and cleaned/painted/polished, as required...

The full fairing has been replaced with an American Gloss Black '83, (now stripped of Gold decals) with fully functioning vent systems, a great set of OEM mirror's and a decent windshield (which I replaced with my Black one)...The rear light cowl was replaced with a nice Gloss Black one from an '83...Thank you to Night_Vision 8)

The vent systems were removed from the lowers and painted Gloss Black before being reinstalled... 8)

A new dashboard was Fabricated out of 1/8" sheet UHMW and covered with a Charcoal black leatherette material and fitted using Black, flat Allen head, metric machine screw's and chrome finishing washer's... 8)

I had two signal indicators "in stock", originally from the back but removed when I installed the hard bag's (Those bag's have now been sold on to kev10104 for his '83).

Super glue was used to repair the front fender and under seat side plastic cover. However, thanks again to Night_Vision, I have replacements, as & if required... 8)

A new back rest pad was located on eBay and arrived on my doorstep for a total of $23.00...and is now fitted to the rack and the rack, in turn, is now back on "The Mistress" 8)

An oil/filter change was done...not that there was much oil left in the motor after the fall!!!

New brushes purchased and the starter motor is now rebuilt and working properly...after another oil change!!! Yes, I drained the fairly new oil and refilled with with fresh, conventional, Castrol motorcycle oil...hey, its only $12.00 for the oil, what the hell, eh!!

The Hannigan fairing that I purchased, now belongs to our Long distance, high mileage rider, located out of Trenton, Ontario, our very own Canadian..."Kenny" 8)

A "new" set of hard bags, slightly larger than the new ones I installed last winter, were acquired at a swap meet towards the end of last year and have now been stripped of all the hardware and dropped off with vadasz for a repaint from a Lilac colour ::) to Gloss Black 8) The side rails/brackets are with Lil'Blaster for sand blasting and will be painted or... :-\ decisions, decisions... ;D :D :D :D... ;)

She starts right up and runs just fine...just need all this White stuff to go away to get her out for a shake down ride which is realistically 4 to 6 weeks away!!! ::)

Once she is complete, I will have picture's for you all to peruse and comment on... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

Looks like you have a very good mechanically inclined extended family.  I think we should get together and open a cutomising shop for other mototcycles as well.  I think we can make a good killing on repairs.  8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

:) We have a very good networking bunch of enthusiastic people around who are always willing to help out...and not only Vision people!! Those who come to the OnROV rides, Spring & Fall, will bare witness to this fact...

However, if we had to do this for a living, it wouldn't be fun anymore... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)