Just picked a vision... its definitely a project. **pictures up**

Started by GiftVision, February 09, 2009, 03:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on February 11, 2009, 08:57:26 PM
tank needs to slide back about an inch to clear the ears on the inside of the tank... after the rear of tank is lifted about a 1/2"

... and after you disconnect the gas and vacuum lines from the petcock ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Walt_M. on February 10, 2009, 10:11:43 AM
I don't know if you read my earlier post about the gas cap lock but, don't bother taking the seat lock to a locksmith. It doesn't use as many tumblers as the ignition lock so a key that works the seat lock or gas cap won't work in the ignition. Take the ignition lock to the locksmith and he will fix you up.

A key made for the Gas Cap on an 83 will not operate the seat lock or the ignition switch. I have an ignition key that was made for an 83 seat lock.
Perhaps the 1982 setup is as Walt states.
The 83 seat lock makes a complete ignition key, four tumblers.

$0.02
;)
Coil

GiftVision

Quote from: Night Vision on February 11, 2009, 08:57:26 PM
I figured those "three wires" were part of your security system  ???

Haha, not quite, but it would be hard to steal the bike with these wires in place as they are...

I ran jumper cables from my Goldwings battery to those cables to see if the electronics on the bike worked... the Visions battery was dry as a bone, and dead. I had to see if the Vision would crank or not...

Current rides
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Goldwing
1982 Yamaha Vision *not running as of yet*
Previous Rides
2001 Suzuki SV-1000S
2006 Yamaha FZ6R
1993 Honda NightHawk CB750

GiftVision

Finally got the seat released... I just broke the pins with a screwdriver... no key needed now.

I have the tank off and its BAD very very BAD. there is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide line of completely rusted through tank on the inside near the frame. To me it looks beyond fixing. Beyond that I still cant get the gas cap off.

The carbs look great... I am very tempted to just hook a gas line up to them and see if it runs. First I will have to check the spark though... I have a feeling the plugs are shot.

Now to ponder a few things...
Current rides
Previous Rides
2001 Suzuki SV-1000S
2006 Yamaha FZ6R

GiftVision

Also...
what else do I need to check on this thing before I attempt to just put gas in and try to start it???

I want to make sure this 550 runs before I put even a second into making it look good.

Not worried about brakes or paint or tires.... just things that make visions go vroom.

Starter turns the engine over very solidly... no noises at all
Butterfly valves in throttle open fully, cant see the choke valves operate (cant see them?)
Will put fuel filter in line... I promise.
Wonder if the coils are good?
Spark plugs??
change oil and filter

I just know I am missing something..
Current rides
Previous Rides
2001 Suzuki SV-1000S
2006 Yamaha FZ6R

QBS

With air cleaner cover off, pour a small amount of gas down each carb throat, open throttle slightly, and crank.  It should fire and run for a few seconds.

Rick G

Gift , the chokes are a "mixture enriching device"  not a butterfly . They connect the gas tank straight to the engine , sort of.  Visions are not at all hard on plugs , so they will do for now. You might remove the plug caps and cut off the last 3/8 of an inch of the plug wire and them wind them back on. There usually deterorated  there. Other than that do as Q suggested squirt a little gas in there (I use an old plastic bottle )  and give it a whirl.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Change the spark plugs. Seriously, i've had/seen enough bizzaro problems with plugs being the reason.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

:) Once you have established that your "V" has spark...(BTW, its way easier checking/changing spark plugs, especially the front one, with the gas tank removed)...hook up a pony tank to the gas line and fire her up. Then you can decide which step to take next....... 8)

8).......TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

GiftVision

Well I will have a day to the V on the 24th of this month...

With the tank off I can see that most of my work is going to be cosmetic now... I was happy to see that a "mud dobber" or mud wasp had made a nest inside the inlet of the airbox... "why are you happy to see that???" well that means to me that all the spiders, webs, birds and all other creatures were completely blocked off from getting into the carbs **no air filter in there when I opened it**

I have never seen cleaner carbs on a bike that has just sat... So I have a feeling that the cleaning/refurbish of the carbs will go easier than previously thought.

I really want to hear a rumble out of her... badly... that will motivate me to get the rest done for sure.

YJ: You said that you think yours might have looked worse, somehow I doubt it LOL. I saw the pictures of when it was black... it looked good then and at least it had mirrors  ;)

Thanks for that QBS, thats a hell of alot easier that what I was going to do, lets just leave it at that...

Also Rick G thanks for clearing that up, I was worried not seeing some sort of butterfly down there when I actuated the choke...

Well like I said, when my usage for the month resets, I will upload more pictures and post them here... I have lots of before pictures... and now a few "during" pictures... This will be fun.
Current rides
Previous Rides
2001 Suzuki SV-1000S
2006 Yamaha FZ6R

don_vanecek

As already suggested put a saddle tank of some sort on and be prepared to pour a small amount of gas in directly in the carbs to see it it will run-albut for only a second or two.  When my vision sat for for about nine years-after I fixed the oil soaked starter motor-seeing if it would run was the first item. In spite of how the carbs may look I would be very surprized however that you will not need to take em off (but see if it runs first on direct gas-be careful).

Good luck!   

Walt_M.

The chances of not having to take the carbs apart and cleaning them are probably 1 in 10,000. More likely not even that good. The chances some of the stuff that used to be gasoline that rusted your tank out got in the carbs are better than 50-50 and you will probably find it will take at least 3 tries before you finally get them clean enough to run perfectly. Don't give up but don't expect too much.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

The fact that the  carbs appear shiny clean , doesn't mean much, The vision needs carbs that are surgically clean. They will have to be dipped. Having said that they will probably be good enough to start it and hear it run.
Inane, my point is, that if your just trying to see if the thing will do anything there's no point in taking the time and trouble to dig the plugs out (its not an RD350)  Plenty of time to do all the things needed , once you know it runs.
When I went to look at my first vision , I jumped it from the PO's pickup and popped the tank and air box cover off and squirted a 1/2 oz of gas in each carb. No pony tank, no gas tank. It was 28 deg. in that garage and  I just wanted proof that it wasn't stuck or blown up. It started up fairly easily and ran long enough  for me to pay the man.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

GiftVision

well I did it and I got a sputter out of her, a few backfires (out of the carbs and the tail). That is encouraging... no 1-2 second run though. Just crank crank crank puf puf puf puf crank crank crank... etc. You get the Idea

I know I will need new rubber pieces where the carbs go to the cylinder inlet... does that come with the "carb rebuild kits" or is that a separate part??

Current rides
Previous Rides
2001 Suzuki SV-1000S
2006 Yamaha FZ6R

Brian Moffet

The intake manifolds (the heavy rubber boots) are not in the carb rebuild kits.  Which may or may not be available for around 90 dollars a piece (couldn't find them for XZ550RJ on bike bandit, and only the rear for XZ550RK...)

Brian

Tiger

Quote from: GiftVision on February 20, 2009, 04:31:13 PM
I know I will need new rubber pieces where the carbs go to the cylinder inlet...

These manifold rubbers can be cleaned up and "painted" with liquid electrical tape...available at most good auto store's. This, generally, does the trick for a lot less $$$ ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

the biggest deterant to starting a Vision with carb problems is a weak battery (or oil filled starter). if you need to, junp off a NON running car...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black