Going to Kelso CA.

Started by Rick G, February 13, 2009, 11:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

A couple of weeks ago I rode to Kelso CA. with the CMA
We rode through  the fog until we reached Searchlight NV. A hearty breakfast was enjoyed by all and when we left the fog had lifted.
The bikes attending were a fancy HD bagger (is there any other kind? ;D :D) an HD with the springer front end and crappy sounding pipes, a 124 inch custom HD that got 26 mpg, a BMW 4 cylinder K bike and my Vision.
Since everyone else had CMA back patches, scrupulous attention was paid to speed limits.  ( I nearly went to sleep ::)) Kelso is located in the Great Mojave desert between Cajon Pass and Needles. It's located on the Union Pacific Rail road and was an engine stop for helper engines.
The station had  a Harvey restaurant , which has been restored . The town reached is zenith in 1944 as a result of war traffic  and mining.
I had tried a new cap for the YIKS ports and one popped off when the engine heated up. We stopped in Kelso to cork the dam thing up. The 26 mpg Harley rider made some snide comment about its always one of "those " that craps out. I casually let him know that the bike was 27 years old and  in the 10 years I had been riding visions, it had only let me down once. I added that if his was still running in 27 years, I'd be amazed. I also mentioned the '04 bagger, that I spoke to on 66 past Peach Springs, that was waiting for a tow truck due to a burned up stator!!
After taking a short break we toddled on in search of fuel for the thirsty 26 mpg HD  . We  headed west on old route 66 , to the town of Amboy , which actually has a gas station! After fueling up we headed  east on 66 to a cross roads that had a gas station and 10.00 hamburgers. After getting my indigestion going, as  it was  now 5:15, (we left at 8:00 in the morning and my back and left knee were caving in), I said my good byes. They were taking a long route home and had , probably 2 1/2 or three hours to go, to get home.
I jumped on I40 and blazed along. I was home at 6:30 and available to take care of my wife and rest my weary bones.
I enjoyed the ride and  even though the  time was tiring  the distance was not (325 miles). I enjoyed 48 mpg, until I hit I40 then it went down hill to 30.  It still beat the HD! while running 80 ;) ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Rick,

If you want better mileage just quit running that gearlube you use in the crankcase.

$0.02
;D
Coil

Rick G

Gear lube??? I'm running 20 50 synthetic. Better mileage can be had by easing off on the throttle cable , but what fun is that! ;) :D :D :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

Sounds like a hell of a ride!  Glad you got turn it up, on the ride back.  Riding slow, an't no way to go.
" border="0