News:

Main Menu

Electric Vision?

Started by dchakrab, February 14, 2009, 03:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

I've gotta say, I'm very curious about the electric motorcycle projects some people have been working on. It looks like an *incredibly* fuel-efficient way of commuting, especially in a city (my office, shopping, and girlfriend's house are all within a few miles of me).

Anyone thought about converting a Vision? It looks like ~$1600 in parts would do it, and I have a parts '83 that's been sitting for a *long* time. The only thing holding me back is lack of mechanical / electric knowledge; I'm scared I'll get halfway into it and then find that I've spent $1600 on parts for a dud. I couldn't clean a set of '83 carbs a couple of years ago (not sure if I'd be able to do it now, either), so is biting off this much electric work easier / harder? Or this is more of a "stick the red wire in the red connector" kind of thing? :)

Anyone know what would be involved? I was looking at guides like this one:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-72Volt-electric-motorcycle/

And the collection of links here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427226

Anything else I should add to my reading list? What tools / background knowledge would I need before starting?

Thanks!

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

YellowJacket!

Thers one guy who already has.  I think its pic is in the gallery.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dchakrab

Found it! http://www.evalbum.com/141

But that email address bounces, and he doesn't seem to be an ROV member. Nothing came up on searches, except for a post from several years ago indicating it was sold on Ebay.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

Rick G

Not long ago I found that URl and printed  out the pics. If I can find where I put the pics  I'll post it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Not actually that efficient, yes it wouldnt use any gas, but energy is used and its created at the power plant. The kicker would be how much weight in batteries you'd be willing to go into, and how powerful of a motor you would end up with.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on February 15, 2009, 02:59:48 AM
Not actually that efficient, yes it wouldn't use any gas, but energy is used and its created at the power plant. The kicker would be how much weight in batteries you'd be willing to go into, and how powerful of a motor you would end up with.

...and besides all the above from inane' the sound from the MAC's would be silently deafening!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)...I love my MAC's 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

If I remember correctly, it went 20 miles on a charge and had an 80 mph top speed.
All electric vehicles transfer the pollution elsewhere. Unless , of course there sail powered! :D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Rick G on February 16, 2009, 12:29:05 AM
All electric vehicles transfer the pollution elsewhere.

True to a point.  Electricity generation will always be improving to be greener and more efficient, but a Vision engine won't be.  Makes electric worth looking at.

When I had more money than I do now, I thought about converting a vision to electric, I figured I could line up the motor with the drive-shaft and convert the entire engine and battery area for batteries.  With the new Lithium-Ion it would be a lot easier.  The electronics would be the large portion to deal with, unless you had the power converter off the bike.

Ah well. :-)

Rick G

I've thought about it , even considered getting a dead golf cart for the controls and maybe the motor. This stuff may not that efficient , but it would allow me to learn about it.
The one I printed out listed all the components  and some specs.
Rick G

Sable

When I saw that Electric Vision on the EV Album, I e-mailed the guy who built it. He actually built it for a project either for work or school. He had a powerpoint presentation on what he did to build it. I think I still have it and I can e-mail it to you if you would like (actually I would have to share it on google.docs because it is too large to e-mail). Send me a PM with your e-mail so I can share it out.

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Rick G

Hi John! we haven't seen you on the forum in a  while, good to see you! :) :)
Rick G

joevacc

Love t see it.  Google docs is a great idea.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller