News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

tonight is the night

Started by nvdranger, May 03, 2004, 04:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

I just checked the Yamaha manual and the spec is:

Minimum brush length: 4.5mm (0.18 in)

I seem to remember reading that you can replace the brushes themselves but there is a trick to hooking them back up.. I would just buy the complete assembly..

Cheers

Bruce.

QBS

Take your brush assembly and armature to a good automotive starter/ alternator rebuilder in your area.  If they are worth their salt they will be able to replace the brushes by soldering on new ones to your old assembly wires and also turn down the armature so your new brushes will last a long time.  I've done this twice and have yet to buy or need a Yamaha replacement assembly.  Cheers.

nvdranger

Well it is deffinetly time to replace the brushes.  Bad news is I couldn't find anyone in town that could replace the brushes.  So I pony'd the money up and bought the new one instead of searching for something I dont know if I can get.

Thanks
Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

nvdranger

ho humm...:'(...waitin is killin me.  Got the starter nosecone back togeter(:D Thanks H20) and waitin on brushes/diapram thingy for the rear carb.  Patience is a virtue and anytime now the payoff will come.

Ken
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

nvdranger

FINALLY!! My parts came in and I can get the starter back together.  However, does anyone happen to have these nut rings/flanges for the front cylinder?  I thought I could get these and neither of the guys got back to me.  I may be able to get one from wolfman.  Any help would be appreciated.

Its kinda hard to start the bike to see if I have any other problems when theres no exhaust.

Thanks
Ken

jone

[urlhttp://www.speedandsportinc.com/url]
have you cheked this they might have them

nvdranger

ok got everything I need now and i'm gonna try to synch the carbs this weekend.  hopefully she will actually idle this time with the yikes fix, re-dipped the carbs (all jets out this time I missed one - oops), getting the stock exhaust back on tonight.  
anyways she should be ready to go and hopefully I dont have to have the choke on to keep it running.  but if I cannot keep it at idle with the choke off, how far will the carbs be off with the choke on?
i guess what i should do is get it together and see if it will idle and let you know what happens from there.  gotta get a can of carb cleaner to spray for any other vacume leaks, I'm hoping there are none.

Ken

Walt_M.

You can't really get the carbs synched with the choke on. What you are trying to do is get the throttle plate openings the same by measuring/comparing intake manifold vacuum and adjusting the positions of the throttle plates so the vacuum is the same for both cylinders. Putting the choke on(actually an enrichment system) bypasses the throttle plates, see where I'm going here? If it won't idle with the choke off, after warm up, you still have a problem, either vacuum leaks or the carbs still have some blockage somewhere.
Whale oil beef hooked!

nvdranger

:D theres not an emoticon to show the happiness I have right now.  got the exhaust and bike back together today, filled her with gas and vroooooooooooommmmmm.  This time is sat at idle w/o a problem what so ever.  Looks like the left hand side cove (crank case?? that the name???) didn't seal up all the way so I have a leak but who cares right now its running.  Anyways gotta take it out for a lil ride around the block....be back soon...not to soon I hope ;).

Ken

tizod

Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

nvdranger

seems to be doing fairly well.  I still need to synch the carbs and I just went and got a 1'x2' gasket.  tomorrow the case comes off and on goes a custome made gasket.  Then time (hopefully) for a nice long ride (to every single person's house I know - maybe thats a lil much..no no its not).

Ken

scootertramp

MAKE A TEMPLATE for the case cover bolts and mark holes
I made one from a shoe box and lid. I drew a pic( line sketch) of the shape of the cover and marked where all the bolts went with small circles. I number'd them too, but there is really no need. As I removed a bolt I put it in the corrosponding hole I punched.
I also markd where the WASHER was(one bolt on mine had a washer) and where the clip went..
IF you put the wrong bolt in the wrong hole you'll STRIP the bolts. and get leaks. and worse..
 as I am very cheap and thrifty to boot, I used GREY SEALANT in stead of a readymade gasket  and have had NO leaks.  8)
WHEN you get out there on the road, look out for my aunt idjit and granny cantsy..
the end.. .
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

h2olawyer

Ken -

Congrats on getting her fired up & running!   8)  At least now, the things you do to her can be road tested making the effort seem more worthwhile.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

Isn't that a great feeling when you finally get to ride! Good job. I spent about 6 weeks in my shop last summer before I finally got mine going.
Whale oil beef hooked!

nvdranger

well i thought it was a little to good to be true.  i went out today to create the new gasket and had a puddle a gas from the overflow.  i think the float was a little high so I adjusted it and created the gasket.  unfortunetly the gas leak into the oil i had drained and need to go get oil, so away i go to get gas and have to go to a grad ceremony.  hopefully I got everything fix and I can get that loooooong ride I want tomorrow.

Ken