News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Starter Lip Seals

Started by akvision, March 04, 2009, 01:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

It has been suggested that the o-ring seal that keeps the starter electrics sealed from oil will likely fail at or before 10k miles.

The offered solution that is to install a lip seal.

Can anyone describe the part number or manufacturer code for the correct seal and the supplier to order from?

Thanks for any clearity here.

akvision
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Walt_M.

On the header for this page is a 'Technical' tab, click on it and you will find several how-to's. There is an excellent starter rebuild/seal replacement on there. The only thing it does not give is the seal part number and you can find that elsewhere.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

The seal measurements, are 20 mm ID 35mm OD  6 mm thick . Order it from a bearing /seal supply house . It should have at least one tiny coil spring around  the inside,of the sealing lips, some have two. OEM  had none.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

akvision, in order to head off possible confusion on the front end,  pleased be advised the the OEM seal under discussion is not an O ring type seal but rather a standard design lip oil seal without a contraction spring surrounding the lip.  FYI:  This type of seal would be more than adiquate for an application that was not below the crankcase oil level.  Yamaha messed up and specified the wrong starter.  Or maybe, no supplier at that time could provide a starter that worked for that application and they just used what was available.

akvision

Rick G and QBS

You have provided again... I should have been clearer (perhaps the single malt was fogging me) any, I did read the tech post on Starters by Ron.. good job of the step by step. 

The info on size is what I need to get to rpaw and pick up the unit to get this thing going.  I want to fix before failure.

They always fail when it is not convenient, you all know how rubber works.

akV
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Tiger

:) Internal Starter Oil Seal Info'.......ChicagoRawhide, Part #7917, (CR 20 x 35 x6 HMS4 R).

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

As always and as usual, Tiger is on the spot and to the rescue.  Way to go Tiger!

akvision

I appreciate the enlightenment.

So, it turns out that the Chicago Rawhide Co has been bought out by the Germans.  A Company called SKF Worldwide owns our precious little lip seals.  When I went to find a place to buy one I got the " this part has been discontinued" and has been replaced by "SKF CR 20x35x6 HMS5 RG"  PN# 563017.

They have distributors on the order of 7000 world wide so the site says.. the specs and graphics are great to look at but, try to buy one, and there are now easy "buy now" buttons.   Soo....

Somehow, I ended up on the Dalton Bearing Co, then on the Kelly Supply Co... bingo PN CR 7917 for sale and buy now at $1.27 each. I could not just buy one.  You know we have to spend to get the economy going and the UPS charge was more than the seals.

I did it and bought five.  They are now on there way to rpaw.  I will keep two incase we screw up on the install and I will give away the next three to the first three to request one.. I need your mailing address.  Free. 

visit www.kscdirect.com  pn# CR 7917to order and check out www.skf.com use 563017 in the find box.

Thanks Tygrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I appeciate it.. love the body paint.

akV
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

I got the seal TODAY!!! Thank you very much AK.. and your son, too!! Going in tomorrow!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

inanecathode

I know this guy who knows this guy who's got an 83 with a bunch of oil in the starter, and the need for a garter sprung lip seal <_<
I should have him pm you  8)

BTW, The coiled roundy round spring is called a garter spring. Not important to know that, but you can impress your friends and family :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

:D I feel smarter now!! Im gonna go practice saying it in the mirror!!! ;D 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

rhpaw

..sounds kinda sexy..
Way better than "circle spring". Whoever came up with that name was my kinda engineer!
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor